Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
In my art, upon receiving 1st Dan, you promise to teach, in whatever capacity you can, as an act of paying it forward so to speak. I have tried to do so. I've had too much going on in recent years to really commit to it, but I love passing on knowledge and hope to be able to teach on a regular basis sometime in the future.

I agree, once you receive your Shodan you do promise in a way to teach in any way possible. It may not be a full class, but you might help teach in a way in class whilst your training.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it is an old fashioned custom, but there are still a few dojo where everyone is expected to learn from those who are more experienced and help teach those who are new. Not everyone has what it takes to become an instructor, but everyone should be able to contribute in some way to the improvement of others.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Perhaps it is an old fashioned custom, but there are still a few dojo where everyone is expected to learn from those who are more experienced and help teach those who are new. Not everyone has what it takes to become an instructor, but everyone should be able to contribute in some way to the improvement of others.

I like this. I practice this. I have my students that I think are cabpable and usually intermediate belt ranking, teach small groups some things. I think it's good for them.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sensei, when asked this very same question answered it by saying...

"Because Shindokan can't teach itself; I'm the vessel that pours it out!!"

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to retain knowledge is to share it with others, this is however the shallowest reason, to have the love of sharing is the highest level of them all.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do you teach it? Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
What is your reason gor teaching martial arts? Is it kids? Is ot the interaction inside the studio? Is it that you enjoy sharing your knowlage? What is your reason?

For me, the answer is that I really, for an unknown reason, enjoy sharing what I know. I cant explain why, I just enjoy teaching others techniques and watching them really get it. I also enjoy being present in the studio and outside of training it gives me an excuse haha.

For me it's about giving back.

The art has given me so much and although it sounds cheesy, it's sculpted me into the man that I am today. It's taught me life's lessons I doubt I could learn elsewhere.

For me it's about passing on my passion for the art to my students. I want them to experience the triumphs, to overcome obstacles and realizing that they can push past what they think they can do.

It's about passing down what my Shinshii taught to me and maintaining the integrity of the art.

It's about passing on a lifestyle that was given to me.

I teach because I love the art and I love seeing my students and their students learning and growing. I teach because its rewarding. I have learned more though teaching others than when I was just concerned with learning for myself.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:

I agree with you and think you for pointing this out. This is the same way I was brought up in the arts. Solid point.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching can also be an expression of thanks. It is one of the best ways to show appreciation for the years of effort one's instructor put into teaching. The longer one has spent training under the same instructor, the truer this is.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Teaching can also be an expression of thanks. It is one of the best ways to show appreciation for the years of effort one's instructor put into teaching. The longer one has spent training under the same instructor, the truer this is.

Solid post!!

A passing notion gains nothing, however, an intimate notion gains everything!!

sarah
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially, I started teaching just because I couldn't think of a good reason not to. My instructor had 5 of his students become black belts and not one had actually started teaching, and so I just went for it. I got support from my instructor when I needed it, and gradually I came to realise that teaching opens up a whole new layer of learning. Plus kids are hilarious, they say some great things and they grow in confidence even after just a few weeks. They begin shy or even sulky, and after a few weeks, one will say "Can we do flying backflips today?" or something equally silly, and I smile because at least they think that in this class anything might be possible and they might be able to achieve it. I agree that most students won't necessarily need to defend themselves in a fight, but if they have a strong moral sense and a good physical presence, they will likely prevent fights in the first place, which I would rather see. Also, I appreciate my own instructor's hard work much more, now I know what is involved, and try to help him out even more and to pass on his high standards to my own students.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: