Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

andym
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try contacting the Shikon group in Kent, headed by Steve Rowe. A highly experienced martial artist and teacher. Especially of close combat principles and applications. Or one of the Goju Ryu groups in that area ?

muttley
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
Try contacting the Shikon group in Kent, headed by Steve Rowe. A highly experienced martial artist and teacher. Especially of close combat principles and applications. Or one of the Goju Ryu groups in that area ?

Funny you should say that, I contacted him via twitter this afternoon, his main dojo is (relatively) close to where I work, the only issue is, I live nowhere near where I work (Thanet) and I don't think any of the sessions fit in with my shifts at work which is really unfortunate.

I've looked for some Goju Ryu clubs but again, there are none around here. In my area it is Shotokan, Kyokushin or amalgamations of various different martial arts from Japan, China and Thailand which I find awkward.

ShotokanMaster
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate Do,american kenpo karate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Why is it so difficult? Reply with quote

its not difficult bro all you need is a great dojo or instructor and make sure you have schedule fit for your training I suggest american kenpo karate its a god martial arts its gonne be easy for you because you studied shotokan because in kenpo karate they do grappling filipino martial arts and jun fa its tight bro i know this because i joined american kenpo karate 4 weeks ago and im almost testing for my yellow belt also im a greenbelt in shotokan

JonWal
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about sticking with your current style in Shotokan, but supplimenting whats missing with say a Kickboxing or Muai Thai class once a week?

muttley
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonWal wrote:
How about sticking with your current style in Shotokan, but supplimenting whats missing with say a Kickboxing or Muai Thai class once a week?

That would be great, but it's the age old problem of finding the time for it. It's been a struggle to find a club I can train at once a week on a regular basis, let alone find 2 different styles.

JonWal
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

muttley wrote:
JonWal wrote:

That would be great, but it's the age old problem of finding the time for it. It's been a struggle to find a club I can train at once a week on a regular basis, let alone find 2 different styles.

Fair enough, it just seems a massive shame to give up on the one style you've spent so long in, just because its missing a small (..ok fairly large) aspect of sparring.

Even if you had to temporarily drop a class a week in Shotokan, maybe it would help you to find what your looking for.

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, in Wales there is huge Kyokushin following, close combat is the bread and butter of our fighting style!

Mind you, you could add Ju-Jitsu to what you already do, that as an art is always a good addition imho.

JonWal
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkmoon wrote:
Honestly, in Wales there is huge Kyokushin following, close combat is the bread and butter of our fighting style!

Mind you, you could add Ju-Jitsu to what you already do, that as an art is always a good addition imho.

I know a few guys through my dojo that do Kyokushin. Tough guys too.

Thats why I'm happy I chose Wado, there seems to be a lot of ju-jitsu style takedowns and joint locks involved.

muttley
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had thought of doing Kyokushin (and Ju Jitsu), trouble is, I like Shotokan (when taught properly) and I am so worried about McDojo's, there are a lot of them around here, anyone had any dealings with Matt Fiddes??

Kusotare
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Traditional Japanese Karate, Koryu Bujutsu (Jujutsu, Iaido and Kenjutsu)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muttley wrote:
I had thought of doing Kyokushin (and Ju Jitsu), trouble is, I like Shotokan (when taught properly) and I am so worried about McDojo's, there are a lot of them around here, anyone had any dealings with Matt Fiddes??

No, but from what I've read about his group from a plethora of other martial artists - I'd leave well alone.

k.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: