Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmbientFire wrote:
First time poster, long time lurker. I was thinking about the different reasons to have a website and a fairly altruistic (or whatever you want to call it) reason comes to mind.
I get that Mr. Sensei8 is a serious practitioner and instructor and that is something that should perhaps be shared for the sake of prospective students. "Proof is on the floor!" Is a healthy sentiment that I share, but guess what? Not all dojo do.
I know I personally want all potential students to be able to engage in serious martial arts, but how can they do that if all they see and hear is McDojo?
It was remarked that a real dojo doesn't need a website - well, perhaps a real student-to-be does. Students have to find you, and you can't afford to underestimate how incredibly hard it is for the uninitiated to distinguish between serious arts and quick money grabs. You can obviously afford it financially right now, but that's not the issue I'm addressing.

It was also mentioned that a website isn't proof of good martial arts - all the more reason for serious martial artists to get on the ole internet and show the world what good martial arts look like. The bigger you make the presence of real martial arts, the harder it becomes for McDojo to sell their snake oil.

Yes, you are running a business. But you are also teaching a living, breathing, thinking and feeling human being. That may not sound savvy, but it is worth a whole lot in my estimation.

Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

I understand and appreciate the importance of having a website, that hasn't escaped me at all. Having said that, there are two sides of any coin, and I'm on the side of the coin that just doesn't need, nor do I want a website for reasons that I've stated in this thread.

I'm not hurting for students and if I was, then I might entertain that idea. I recognize the many reasons that all here have stated for having a website, and me not having a website hasn't affected my P&L, and that, for me, is the ultimate way for me to check that my business has a strong pulse or not.

sentersantonio
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentersantonio wrote:
Thank you

Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having a long conversation with Greg, our Kancho, I've stubbornly have to admit that my own dojo doesn't have a website simply because I'm cheaper than cheap. I don't want to spend an unknown amount of funds to create and maintain a website; for me, a website isn't a tangible thing that I can physically touch...stupid of me, I know, but I'm a miser...I'm a Scrooge when it comes to this.

I'll spend untold amounts of making improvements to my retail store and to make sure that my dojo has the latest "junk". In that, I'm like a mechanic that has to have the newest tool, no matter the cost, just to have it because you never know if you'll need it, but it's better to have it than not to have it.

I told Greg, I'm a cheaper than cheaper cheapskate when it come to creating and having and maintaining a website because my active student body is 308, at the time of this post. That's a respectful amount, imho. I've not been under 300 student body in many, many years!! I'm not hurting financially; I'm quite comfortable, and that comfort, I suppose, as far as I'm concerned, is the reason that I've become a Scrooge Master!!

Is it stupid of me in this concern in this age of the internet? YEPPER...it is!! However, if I may borrow at movie line...

"Mamma said stupid is as stupid does!"

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I wanted to say that I think Patrick's first post makes a lot of good points, especially about how the internet is used today, and how people look for things. When I'm sitting around with a group discussing something, and we have questions that stump all of us, someone inevitably says, "Google it." Searching the net has become something very natural to lots of people seeking answers today. A search of the internet is what has brought so many people to this site.

sensei8 wrote:
A website is not a requirement for any school, nor should it be. Nor will having a website guarantee that your school will be successful. I can only imagine that there are more schools that operate a website than those that don't. Small, medium or large schools can have all of the website exposure they can afford, but for those of us who choose not to enter this world, for whatever reason, we're lampooned for not being found on the wide world web.

You are correct here. It isn't a requirement, and it doesn't guarantee anything. But, in a world where the consumer constantly seeks information on products and services information on the web, it's just a good business practice to be available there. I don't know if it tends to be a "traditional" aspect that keeps some schools from seeking out a web presence or not, but I think it really has quite a bit to do with it.

sensei8 wrote:
Harkon72 wrote:
Oh yes it's a classic; "You don't have a website so you're not a real club."
My answer; "If you were a real club, you wouldn't need one."

YES!! Solid post, thank you for it!!

I don't agree with this. I think this approach today would be comparable to not having a listing in the phone book 20 years ago. Its just the way technology has advanced, and its not a bad idea to keep up with it. More and more things are sought out online, so why not be available there?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate everyone's advise and input on this! Nothing's escaped me, please believe me...thank you, all!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many here personally know of a school of the MA that is successful, but, that school doesn't have a website??

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many MA schools have video tutorials....many here at KF do as well...but...I don't even have that. I've not written a book, either.

I've no website...I've not written a book...I've no video tutorials...seems as though I've failed at reaching many opportunities, therefore, I've failed!!

cheesefrysamurai
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In todays age, a website doesn't imply commercial aspirations, as DWX said too, its a way of letting people know you are out there.

Its the way we communicate today - its the new improved phonebook, not a sales ploy though it can be used as such like the phone book.

Its a way of expressing exactly what your about in your own words - your own personal soap box.

Some things you can use a website for:

1. Educate people, tell them about your Soke and Dai Soke
2. Tell them about the traditional nature of Shindokan
3. Tell them enough to give them and idea of how dedication, hard effort and sweat at your dojo can reward them
4. Offer to share the experience with them and invite them

its not about selling them anything, its about you sharing.

Let me put it this way. You have definitely expressed much about your affection for your Sensei's, as well your pride in Shindokan. By creating a website you might very well be giving someone that very gift you were given upon joining. Its simply how you reach people.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheesefrysamurai wrote:
In todays age, a website doesn't imply commercial aspirations, as DWX said too, its a way of letting people know you are out there.

Its the way we communicate today - its the new improved phonebook, not a sales ploy though it can be used as such like the phone book.

Its a way of expressing exactly what your about in your own words - your own personal soap box.

Some things you can use a website for:

1. Educate people, tell them about your Soke and Dai Soke
2. Tell them about the traditional nature of Shindokan
3. Tell them enough to give them and idea of how dedication, hard effort and sweat at your dojo can reward them
4. Offer to share the experience with them and invite them

its not about selling them anything, its about you sharing.

Let me put it this way. You have definitely expressed much about your affection for your Sensei's, as well your pride in Shindokan. By creating a website you might very well be giving someone that very gift you were given upon joining. Its simply how you reach people.

This is a very solid post; one I can never forget!! Your points are right and effective in hitting the heart of the matter!! Thank you, cheesefrysamurai.

I suppose that I felt, as well, that the vantage of having a website was to reach the world, i.e. the masses. But, I wasn't ever interested in reaching nationwide, regional, or global. I just want to reach those locally, especially those within the immediate area surrounding my dojo.

Narrow minded of me? Oh, yeah!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: