Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: "You are not an operator" Reply with quote

Here is a short article I found rather interesting in regards to the words we use in describing what we do, sometimes out of context, and how we view what we would like to train in, and how it differs in what we probably should spend our time training, especially when it comes to hand guns:

http://www.gunnuts.net/2013/05/16/you-are-not-an-operator/

Thoughts?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However the label, surely it will be misunderstood by its interpretators as well as its reviewers.

I'm not much into guns, but in a MA way, I'm not an operator of the MA. No. I'm a director. I direct my said MA weapon(s) to said target without any reservation and/or prejudice. If I've missed the point of the article, forgive me, and I'll read it again until I do understand what it's speaking about.

I don't operate any kobudo weapon, no, I still direct it.

Still, very nice article. Thank you for it, Brian!!

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have little experience with handguns, but I think I see the point. It's like people who train unarmed or with blunt and edged weapons for civilian self defense purposes, but think of it like being a ninja, a bodyguard, a samurai, an assassin, or whatever. Save all that for the LARP group or the cosplay convention.

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, it comes back to humbleness of oneself, humility of one's mind. Recognize and admit to yourself what you are and are not, don't try to be something you are not. With the prevalence of Internet, video games, and online video games, it's easy for everyone to be a "virtual tough-guy". In reality, most of us, myself included, would soil our drawers and puke our guts out in fear if we were ever placed in a real war zone in a real combat situation (at which, frozen in fear sitting in our own juices, we would just be blown to bits).

A lot of my friends that own guns use the lingo that the article talks about, and it is rather annoying, similar to a trivial know-it-all that attempts to use jargon to look cool. In my case, I own a few firearms, and have been looking for classes that teach practical home-defense tactics, as well as self-defense tactics for conceal carriers for situations in public (i.e. an "active shooter" situation that a conceal carrier could respond to in the event that police/LEOs haven't shown up yet).

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great responses, everyone, thank you.

Another term that tends to get used when it shouldn't, especially in the Martial Arts world, is the term "warrior." I think there tends to be too many that consider themselves warriors, just because they study a Martial Art, and its just not the case. The term "operator" is beginning to get tossed around more and more now, in kind of the same sense.

Its ok to be passionate about what you do, and its ok to be an advocate about what you do. But its also important to keep in perspective what it is you actually do.

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

Another term that tends to get used when it shouldn't, especially in the Martial Arts world, is the term "warrior." I think there tends to be too many that consider themselves warriors, just because they study a Martial Art, and its just not the case. The term "operator" is beginning to get tossed around more and more now, in kind of the same sense.

Its ok to be passionate about what you do, and its ok to be an advocate about what you do. But its also important to keep in perspective what it is you actually do.

Absolutely!

As for "operators" and "warriors", I most certainly am both: I'm a computer Operating Keyboard Warrior! Clickety clack!

In other words...

CredoTe <=== Nerd!!!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CredoTe wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

Absolutely!

As for "operators" and "warriors", I most certainly am both: I'm a computer Operating Keyboard Warrior! Clickety clack!

In other words...

CredoTe <=== Nerd!!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CredoTe wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

Absolutely!

In other words...

CredoTe <=== Nerd!!!

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Anaku
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Kwan Bup TKD Hapkido

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karateka should be focused on cultivating a peaceful and calm (quiet) mind, and self perfection of character. I've known a few real life spec ops guys and it requires a different mindset.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anaku wrote:
Karateka should be focused on cultivating a peaceful and calm (quiet) mind, and self perfection of character. I've known a few real life spec ops guys and it requires a different mindset.
I don't think its fair to say that Karateka should be relegated to cultivating a peaceful mind or self-perfection of character. That is how some Karateka felt about it, but I don't think its right to attach this to all Karateka to be their goals. Some people can do Karate and still develop that different mindset, or whichever mindset they choose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: