Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Safroot wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Ask questions

That's actually the main thing I have been doing in this forum so I guess I am on the right track.

Honestly I got most of my "little" MA knowledge from here
That's ok. Keep reading, learning, and once you do, go check what we say here against other sources. Another important step is to not overwhelm yourself with too many subjects at once. Research one thing for a while, and give it a good focus. Then branch out.

Thanks for your advice Budisho . That's what I am trying to do to dig deep into Kyokushin Karate and learn more & more about it.

I am always trying to search for its topics here in the forum to read more about it in addition to internet browsing as well.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martial arts is also character building, indulge in the martial art philosophical and wisdom aspects also to balance out your physical needs.

This should help you to stay humble and helpful, building a good character is just as important as building great martial art skills.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice ever heard in any dojo: find the one who knows what you want to learn and watch, then question and listen and then do it over and over again and finally try it yourself. Beginners are often told this, but it is when one is no longer a beginner that one forgets this and needs reminding. The only way to gain experience and knowledge is to constantly look for it and then put it to use to make it stick.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
The best advice ever heard in any dojo: find the one who knows what you want to learn and watch, then question and listen and then do it over and over again and finally try it yourself. Beginners are often told this, but it is when one is no longer a beginner that one forgets this and needs reminding. The only way to gain experience and knowledge is to constantly look for it and then put it to use to make it stick.

Good advice , thanks Spartacus 👍🏻

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us not forget...Shu Ha Ri

These stages of learning and evolving are applicable to all styles as well as to all students no matter their level of knowledge/experience.

Imho!!

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Let us not forget...Shu Ha Ri

These stages of learning and evolving are applicable to all styles as well as to all students no matter their level of knowledge/experience.

Imho!!

Thanks Sensei8 , now I am extending my MA knowledge through this post as I have never heard about this before

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said most of my knowledge comes from those that came before me. My Shinshii, his Shinshii and so on through our lineage.

I also have picked up a lot though my research of my art and in taking other arts.

I too use Dr. Google from time to time but I keep an open mind as anything posted on line is skeptical to me and I look for proof before taking the information as the gospel. Anyone, whether credited or not, can post opinions. That in and of itself does not make it worthy of belief.

I rely on legitimate sources that have spent many more years than myself training and researching such as Mr. McCarthy or Mr. Lowry and others. There is plenty of knowledge found within bio's or books written by masters like Funikoshi, Nagamine, Motobu, Kano, etc. etc.

However the best advice I ever received was to ask questions. I have been studying the arts for over 3 decades and probably ask more questions than 40% of my students and more than 80% of my fellow instructors. This I attribute to thinking you have finally gotten somewhere and you don't have to ask questions anymore. The arts are not just a journey but a never ending learning process for self betterment. I am presently a Rokudan and can tell you that I do not see the end of the tunnel and do not feel I have nothing left to learn.

The funny thing is the more time you train in your art the more questions you have and the more you realize how little you truly know. To me that is what makes it so interesting and keeps me coming back.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
As others have said most of my knowledge comes from those that came before me. My Shinshii, his Shinshii and so on through our lineage.

I also have picked up a lot though my research of my art and in taking other arts.

I too use Dr. Google from time to time but I keep an open mind as anything posted on line is skeptical to me and I look for proof before taking the information as the gospel. Anyone, whether credited or not, can post opinions. That in and of itself does not make it worthy of belief.

I rely on legitimate sources that have spent many more years than myself training and researching such as Mr. McCarthy or Mr. Lowry and others. There is plenty of knowledge found within bio's or books written by masters like Funikoshi, Nagamine, Motobu, Kano, etc. etc.

However the best advice I ever received was to ask questions. I have been studying the arts for over 3 decades and probably ask more questions than 40% of my students and more than 80% of my fellow instructors. This I attribute to thinking you have finally gotten somewhere and you don't have to ask questions anymore. The arts are not just a journey but a never ending learning process for self betterment. I am presently a Rokudan and can tell you that I do not see the end of the tunnel and do not feel I have nothing left to learn.

The funny thing is the more time you train in your art the more questions you have and the more you realize how little you truly know. To me that is what makes it so interesting and keeps me coming back.

Solid advice, thanks MatsuShinshii

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Safroot"]
Alan Armstrong wrote:

Good points, Thanks for sharing Alan.

the vocabulary & terminology was a big problem for me when I was training .

Try this when you Sensei is from Dominica and has a strong Caribbean accent.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safroot wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Ask questions

That's actually the main thing I have been doing in this forum so I guess I am on the right track.

Honestly I got most of my "little" MA knowledge from here

I feel the same in my business classes. I learned this from Shark Tank.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: