Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Your MA knowledge ! Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Since I have joined this forum & I am always wondering if one day I would have the extensive MA knowledge that some members have here.

While browsing the forum I find lots of topics that I really can't understand what members are speaking about & will need to ask for Dr. Google's help (most of times it's nearly impossible to understand a whole topic from it).

My questions is, where & how do you gather your MA knowledge from ? I guess being in the dojo once or twice a week wouldn't be enough. I know that books might help as well but I usually have no enough time to read with long work shifts & kids ! (It might take me couple of years to finish a good MA book ).

Any Suggestions ?!

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher, the other teachers in my lineage - by observation to see if they do things differently, and ALWAYS ASK 'WHY'.. books on the style, history of the region, history of the predecesssor arts, books and comments by practitioners of completely different arts when examined in the light of the structure of your own art, anthropology theory, psychology, stage magic, medicine, physics, critical analysis, more critical analysis, more critical analysis.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:
My teacher, the other teachers in my lineage - by observation to see if they do things differently, and ALWAYS ASK 'WHY'.. books on the style, history of the region, history of the predecesssor arts, books and comments by practitioners of completely different arts when examined in the light of the structure of your own art, anthropology theory, psychology, stage magic, medicine, physics, critical analysis, more critical analysis, more critical analysis.

Thanks JusticsZero

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:

This is a great answer. I'm big on digging into the "why" of things as part of learning. I'd expand past just the lineage and style. Once you've check those boxes start digging into other arts as well.

I agree with Justice that starting with that in the context of your own art is a great place to begin. See how your art would answer another. That's going to broaden your knowledge. Then look at another art or two that you thing pit well against yours and learn something about them as well. Not to answer, but just to know. To add to what you do.

Then start the learning process on them as well.

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Your MA knowledge ! Reply with quote

Safroot wrote:
Hi Guys,
Since I have joined this forum & I am always wondering if one day I would have the extensive MA knowledge that some members have here.

While browsing the forum I find lots of topics that I really can't understand what members are speaking about & will need to ask for Dr. Google's help (most of times it's nearly impossible to understand a whole topic from it).

My questions is, where & how do you gather your MA knowledge from ? I guess being in the dojo once or twice a week wouldn't be enough. I know that books might help as well but I usually have no enough time to read with long work shifts & kids ! (It might take me couple of years to finish a good MA book ).

Any Suggestions ?!

I suppose this is why people are affiliates with other high ranking people and whatnot, yeah?

A very good question, but I think its appropriate to play the other side of the coin here and give a little insight:

-Just because someone is high level/successfull in their style doesnt necessarily mean they're GOOD at it. To elaborate, some people are phenominal athletes with modest skill. Some are good athletes with good skill, but great strategists, etc etc

-Just because you're affiliated doesnt mean they're going to actually teach you anything of merit, assuming they had something "secret" to teach you.

So, the "quick" route to success is to have someone that knows how to do it teach you. Once you "master" said style (i.e. black belt) hopefully you'll have learned enough that you know the theory behind what you're doing and can hopefully advance the style in your own way- much like a scientist who goes to college and so forth. He graduates and then starts to add his knowledge and mindset to the group after the fact. Martial arts are a little different though, because people get competitive and secretive...

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've certainly gained a lot of knowledge just through training and talking with my instructors, but that's been over the course of a little more than 10 years, now. Asking questions and listening to stories will get you a lot, but it will also bring up more questions. That's where independent research comes in--books, articles, videos, forums, etc. This also leads you to contacting people you might otherwise not have, and asking them questions and comparing what you do with what they do, and why. It's a natural evolution of training, in my mind.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have to remember is that the really knowledgeable members of the forum have decades of experience and have had decades to build up their knowledge base. Just as you would expect someone with a degree or PhD to know their chosen subject in great detail, people who have trained extensively will have great understanding of their chosen subject or style.

Knowledge will come with time. Read things. Watch videos. With the internet today there are so many resources freely available.

It's also important to train with as many people as possible as everyone you train with will give you a slightly different perspective on things.

Also don't be afraid to question things if it doesn't make sense. Curiosity is a great thing so if you don't fully understand something, ask questions and don't be afraid to disagree with your peers and seniors.

Anyway Safroot, it sounds like you are reaching the Conscious Incompetence stage of learning https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_stages_of_competence#The_four_stages_of_competence

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Your MA knowledge ! Reply with quote

Quote:
So, the "quick" route to success is to have someone that knows how to do it teach you

and that's the hard part I guess, to find the right person to teach you

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
I've certainly gained a lot of knowledge just through training and talking with my instructors, but that's been over the course of a little more than 10 years, now. Asking questions and listening to stories will get you a lot, but it will also bring up more questions. That's where independent research comes in--books, articles, videos, forums, etc. This also leads you to contacting people you might otherwise not have, and asking them questions and comparing what you do with what they do, and why. It's a natural evolution of training, in my mind.

Thanks Wastelander, seems like I have underestimated the dojo/instructors role !

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safroot wrote:
Wastelander wrote:

Thanks Wastelander, seems like I have underestimated the dojo/instructors role !

It's certainly a major component, but you also have to remember that some instructors branch out far and wide, and can give you a broad spectrum of information, while others laser-focus on their system, specifically. You may get more or less of what you are looking for from your instructor, depending on what they know, but it's an excellent and important starting point!
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: