Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: 100 Kata Reply with quote

So I was Googling stuff...
I came across the 100 kata day in October and suggested our school participation… http://challengeokinawa.com/en_US/100katachallenges/
While the main purpose is for the challenge, both personally and as a school, we can also piggyback promotional opportunities with it. Pictures in the local paper and social media type stuff. It appears to be in the middle of the week but I suggested that we do it the weekend before.
I had a thought… I think I will learn a new kata for the challenge. I am planning to surprise Sensei that day if we do it.
I am now suffering from Netflix syndrome. I am having a hard time deciding which one to do. I wanted something a little long and a little more complicated than the Heian I am currently working on.
After quality time with Google and YouTube I have narrowed my selection down to Jion, Jiin, Jitte and Chinte. I have not heard Sensei even mention them, much less seen them in class. They look dynamic with changes in pace and direction. With only Heian knowledge, it also seems like there are end points, but then I get surprised with more.
Am I crazy?
Is anyone else planning to complete the challenge? Or have done so?

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they'd let those who practice TKD join. =/

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
I don't think they'd let those who practice TKD join. =/

There is nothing wrong with still doing 100 forms.

I am not sure we would do it as official registered participants.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the challenge exactly? Individually (each person) do 100 consecutive kata?

I know 16 kata, so I could repeat them until I get to 100... do all 16 6 times, then 4 more.

It's enticing. All the kata I know are between 15 and 20 counts, so it's not like I get hit with gojushiho (54 steps) or our version of Kanku which is about as long or maybe a little longer.

Last edited by JR 137 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every dojo within the SKKA network participates in the 100 Kata during the annual Karate Day in October.

In order that every student can participate in the event, we often choose a Kata that all can perform, with it usually being Pinan Shodan.

It's a great time for everyone, both the Student Body as well as the visitors; a well meaning opportunity to come together across the network as one, in one cause.

We look forward to the event each and every year with bated breath!!

I speak about the event, briefly...

https://www.karateforums.com/did-you-celebrate-karate-day-vt50069.html?highlight=100+kata

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
What is the challenge exactly? Individually (each person) do 100 consecutive kata?

I know 16 kata, so I could repeat them until I get to 100... do all 16 6 times, then 4 more.

It's enticing. All the kata I know are between 15 and 20 counts, so it's not like I get hit with gojushiho (54 steps) or our version of Kanku which is about as long or maybe a little longer.

Each person does 100 kata. Consecutively is the goal, but if breaks are needed I don't think you will be made to do knuckle pushups. I can also see a fundraising for charity opportunity. Donations per count. Kind of like when people collect per mile on marathons.

You can choose what katas you want to do and how many of each.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it the past two years, and I may do it again this year, but it coincides with a training camp, so I may not have the energy to do it . It's a fun thing, though
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a blast.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would I be biting off more than I can chew by trying to learn one of those four? I was doing some more reading on the progressive nature of learning kata. I am not trying to jump the gun on my art. I was just looking to add a little extra challenge and surprise my Sensei. I purposely am choosing one that is mostly basic techniques with a medium amount of movements.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one I can comment on is Jutte (Jitte) as we do not learn the other three you mentioned but it is my understanding that Jion and Ji'in are about the same.

I would go for it if you have the time to really learn the Kata(s). It's not like you have to understand the meaning of the Kata (applications) for this challenge, your just going through the movements. It's easy to learn a Kata with repetition. As long as you have the time to perform the Kata many times before the challenge, go for it.

However if you know 1 to 5 (maybe more) Kata well, you may want to perform one or more of these for this exercise. You can always learn these other four later. If you loose your place while performing or forget a portion of the Kata you'll compile your frustration with the fact that you then have to start over... it might be a very long day for you.

Good luck and enjoy the experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: