Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: 12 year old Oklahoma girl shoots home intruder Reply with quote

Saw this article on a Facebook page today, and thought it would make a nice topic piece:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=157&sid=22617747

Things here went well. It appears the family had a plan of sorts, and communication and cool-headedness kept this girl alive.

Thoughts?

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely great that she was able to keep a cool head and think about calling someone. Could have gone very badly if she'd panicked and the intruder had gotten in.

Wonder if her parents ever taught her to handle the gun or if she just went on instinct with it?

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None really. Curious how much training she had with gun handling. If there's a gun in the house, everyone should be somewhat knowledgeable about it.
She'll need some counselor time, i'm sure. You'd probably know more about that than I do on what a use of force incident is going to entail in that regard.
A lot of people say that "this will affect her for the rest of her life". While technically true, there's not very many things out there that WON'T affect you for the rest of your life. She'll be OK.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:
None really. Curious how much training she had with gun handling. If there's a gun in the house, everyone should be somewhat knowledgeable about it.

I agree here as well. My wife and daughter have had experience shooting handguns. My 7 year old son has shot a small caliber revolver, as well. We will eventually be practicing a lot more gun time as a family.

[quote=JusticeZero"]She'll need some counselor time, i'm sure. You'd probably know more about that than I do on what a use of force incident is going to entail in that regard.[/quote]

Getting some council time would probably be good. Just to talk the whole experience out. I agree with you there. As far as her use of force level goes, I don't see anything wrong with how she did or what she did. She was defending herself in her own home against a felon, committing a person felony (aggravated burglary), along with criminal damage to property (misdemeanor). I'm guessing she was afraid for her life, and in that case, she used appropriate force. She could have unloaded that gun into the perp, and been justified, in my view.

JusticeZero wrote:
A lot of people say that "this will affect her for the rest of her life". While technically true, there's not very many things out there that WON'T affect you for the rest of your life. She'll be OK.

I agree with you here. I don't think there should be any reason to blow the effects of this situation out of proportion. She proved to herself at an early age that she doesn't have to be a victim; how powerful a lesson is that?

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about this story on the radio this morning, and I was glad to hear some good news. From what I heard, she did exactly what she should have done--get the gun, hide, call the police and shoot the intruder if necessary. I agree completely that she will need counseling, but I suspect she will be okay. From what I understand she shot him through the closet door as he was opening it, so she may not have been face-to-face with what she did.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
From what I understand she shot him through the closet door as he was opening it, so she may not have been face-to-face with what she did.

I think there is some truth to this. Grossman has some thoughts on this phenomenon in his books in regards to how warfare has changed, as well as the warriors, over the years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: