Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Ryu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do/Okinawan Weaponry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the Winter, I am Head Instructor with the watch of my instructorfor the Kids class, during the Summers, when my Black Belt Instructor comes back, he teaches. But in the winter, I am Head Instructor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

GrrrArg
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: karate of some form

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But your not actually taking the class by yourself without any supervisation are you?

This does seem a little soon and certainly you are a little young, I don't mean to cause offence but you're not fully grown yet so you may have problems after a growth spurt when you suddenly find your arms longer than they were. I know that after a growth spurt I would always find I had to work more on my control and judging of distances.

Kyokushin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, Chito-Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would'nt be so judging GrrArg. I do think it's possible for someone who is fourteen to teach. Btw, I don't see how growth spurts have anything to do with teaching. However I don't recommend making a habit of it. You're (directed to Ryu) still young enough to where you should enjoy learning as much as you can. Take it from me. I took over my class when my Sensei left to go into the navy. I was fifteen then. It was fun at first, but after awhile I just wanted to learn again. Eventually your students will catch up to you. There is only so much that one person can offer. However if you are both teaching and learning that is an excellent combination. Just make sure that you always keep your learning the priority Just my 2c.

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.
--- Mas. Oyama ---

telsun
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju-ryu, Ju-jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me as I have not read all responses

Firstly I was training with the seniors when I was 13. No allowances were made for me I just had to keep up with them. My skill was on par with theirs and as far as I am aware no problems ever arose from me being there.

It seems that you debating whether a 14 year old can take a class. Well I do agree with GrrArg. If I walked into a dojo and saw someone heading the class I would turn around and walk straight again. Sorry but I think that you would find that most people would react this way. Even if the young instructor is talented I don't think that they command the respect of the seniors. On the flip side as an assistant instructor I think that they will do fine but again the respect wil lnot be the same as for a senior.

sk0t
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: BJJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that as long as a person can focus and show an aptitude for training with the 'big dawgs", they will be fine in the adult class...

Another question is:

Is it fair to let a 12 year old that is as big as a house train with other 12 year olds that are small as a mouse.

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

GrrrArg
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growth spurts do have a lot to do with training and therefore teaching. When I was younger I could come back to train after a week and find my balance all off and my distance judging all to pot because I had grown just a bit..everyone is like that its a basic human fact that when you grow your mind has to play catch up and learn how your body has adapted itself.
What telsun says about the impression given by a 14yr old taking the class is also true, I know Ryu is taking the kids class but any adult bringing there kid would probably turn and leave when they saw the young age of the instructor, that has no bearing on Ryu's skillas a student or teacher, it is simply the first impression that the public would get.

Can you honestly say that if you went to another style/class to train that you would stay if the instructor was only 14? I know I wouldn't.

Kyokushin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, Chito-Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I see what your saying about the growth spurts, but I still don't think it has a huge affect on teaching, but I could be wrong since when I started karate I didn't really grow anymore. Personally about the 14 yr. old teaching. I would at least give the kid a chance. If I can learn from that person then they could be 14 or 60. All that matters is that I'm becoming a better karateka. I would however not want them being the Head Instructor. Even if the Head Instructor doesn't teach all the time. Just because I would also want to have someone I could go to talk w/ that has more life experience then me. Of course I know my opinion probably isn't a popular one. I'd have to agree that most wouldn't take a second look at a young instructor, and I know from experience that it can be harder to earn respect. Of course I've found I get more respect in karate than in the outside world .

Osu!

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.
--- Mas. Oyama ---

GrrrArg
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh don't get me wrong I have no problem with him helping as a sempai but as a full instructor-no, not a good idea.
How can you demonstrate techniques properly with poor balance and distance judging, he could end up accidentaly hiting someone if he was using them for a demo..

CodyydoC
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: muay thai, shensei hapkido, hapkido, aikido, juijitsu (not sure which one)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am 14 years old and i would probably find another gym if i was told to be in the childrens class
not really because i want to be considered an adult but more because i want my skills to be as high as possible
and if u were to put him/her in the childrens class it would slow him/her down tremendesly because it wont take him/her as long to learn it as a small child would
u should probably discuss it with him/her and if they want to stay in the adults class then try to convince them to work harder than ur usual student
and try to be patient
(all this is assuming that they arent just small bodied even for a 14 year old)
(this also refers to the beginning question)

wrestlingkaratechamp
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Brown belt shotkan karate/black belt 1st dan BJJ(8 years) high school wrestling champion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a 14 year old who is 6 foot 4 isn't that grown man siz and hes 210 pounds
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: