Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KK
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shukokai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it a provisional black belt?

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: So Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Povisional or Shodan Ho I believe they call it is given to a student and then there is a requirement for retest in a selected period of time before the official Shodan rank is permanent.

italian_guy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Formerly in Goju ryu karate (Nidan) now in Wing chun with past experience also in krav Maga, Kickboxing, Tai chi chuan (yang) and JKD.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our organization Shodan Ho has a somewhat different meaning.
It is the last exam you take in your dojo and it means that you are ready to go for the actual shodan exam that is done at the regional headquarters of the federation. After shodan ho you can wear a black belt but only in your dojo (not in turnements or demonstrations) it may be called an unofficial shodan.
Usually the exam for Shodan Ho is even harder then the Shodan exam because your Sensei do not want to lose his reputation presenting, to the external panel of Senseis from other schools, a candidate which is not adeguate; so it is somehow an overtest.

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: So Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

italian_guy wrote:
In our organization Shodan Ho has a somewhat different meaning.
It is the last exam you take in your dojo and it means that you are ready to go for the actual shodan exam that is done at the regional headquarters of the federation. After shodan ho you can wear a black belt but only in your dojo (not in turnements or demonstrations) it may be called an unofficial shodan.
Usually the exam for Shodan Ho is even harder then the Shodan exam because your Sensei do not want to lose his reputation presenting, to the external panel of Senseis from other schools, a candidate which is not adeguate; so it is somehow an overtest.

Interesting.

Chaz
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: San Soo, Jeet Kune Do, Wu Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my school there is no testing, only promotion. This seems outrageous to me, your instructors show know your abiliyt and recognize it over time, not in a 2 hour session. Just my opinion.

jaymac
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: shotokan (nidan)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaz, that is how it was when I took Kung Fu. I am in Karate now and I sort of enjoy the testing. It is challenging and rewarding. It is just a formality, but I actually like testing better than not testing and just receiving rank.

daizyblackbelt
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my school we test for a shodan one year (or longer) after testing for shodan-ho.

during that period, the probationary black belts are required to assist (not teach, only there for backup, demonstrations, etc...) during a certain number of classes, review the curriculum that is being taught to younger/lower ranking students, and begin assisting at examinations. It also allows the head instructors, who may not have had much chance to interact with the students until now, get the chance to know them and their character to a greater degree.

Attaining shodan-ho marks their transition from students at the dojo to active participants in its workings and well-being.

The shodan test is more of a formality, only requiring 1 kata (albeit a long one), and 10 applications from that kata. but afterwards you do get a certificate...

Aodhan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ATA TKD, WTF, Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDZNate wrote:
Either you earned it or not. Making you test agian really dosen't seem right. They should know your capabilities by now.

Depends on how the system is set up. In our system (ATA TKD), you test your normal way to go from red to 1R (1st degree recommended). You then have a midterm two months later and then a final testing two months after that to move to 1D (1st decided).

Generally (depending on the school), at the first midterm you must show the first 5 color belt forms plus the appropriate one-step combinations or sparring combinations for that rank. At the permanent testing, you must show the final 4 color belt forms and sparring segments, plus a random selection from the first five again. This is in addition to the regular breaks, forms, weapons, etc.

It's not always a testing scam, there are a lot of schools that use the interim provisional period to ensure that a BB candidate has retained the material he learned to get there.

Aodhan

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Sohan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Karate-Do, Muay Thai, Shudokan Karate-Do, Boxing, BJJ, Hung Gar Gung Fu

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaz wrote:
In my school there is no testing, only promotion. This seems outrageous to me, your instructors show know your abiliyt and recognize it over time, not in a 2 hour session. Just my opinion.

In our school, testing is more of a demonstration of your MA technique and overall fitness. It publicly demonstrates your worthiness of the new rank to others. Nobody has ever failed a belt test in our school because you don't test unless you are absolutely ready. I like it this way.

With respect,

Sohan

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Aodhan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ATA TKD, WTF, Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sohan wrote:
Chaz wrote:

In our school, testing is more of a demonstration of your MA technique and overall fitness. It publicly demonstrates your worthiness of the new rank to others. Nobody has ever failed a belt test in our school because you don't test unless you are absolutely ready. I like it this way.

With respect,

Sohan

Then what is the point of the testing? I've seen people that were rock solid on everything, get to the test and fall apart. What happens at your dojo in that case?

Aodhan

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: