Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
DWx wrote:
Happy New Year all

I've two... one small and one not so small:

1. Get back to the gym and be more structured with my training
2. Start my own club

Starting your own club, Danielle, is a great idea because you've got everything required in making it a great success!! Your Student Body will be very fortunate in having you as their instructor!!

I hope so... though it probably won't go over well at my current club or with my instructor

True. However, I believe that they'd both support you across the board because you represent them. Albeit, If your current club and/or your instructor create difficulties for you then neither of them are worthy of you, therefore, there are more fish in the sea than the for you to affiliate with.

Why do you believe that it probably won't go over well with your current club or with your instructor??

After all, neither of them own you!! I believe that the club is just a chip off any Governing Body, and in that, if the club shuns you, the Governing Body should still support you opening your own club.

Sure, it's always important to have their support, I respect that, but you have to follow your dreams, and not theirs. I ran into some difficulties when I first wanted to open my first Kyuodan Dojo from my Dai-Soke, but, it was my decision, and not theirs to make. If that meant that I'd be shunned with no direct relationships with the SKKA and/or Dai-Soke, then so be it. There are worse things to have happen. Like being their slaved robot. When Dai-Soke saw and realized that I was going to open my dojo without his blessing, and that it was my right to do so, he quickly jumped aboard in full support.

No matter what anyone says, you have to follow your own path, and not the path of others...no matter what!!

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on making New Year's Resolutions. If there's something I need to do, I'll do it. There's no need for a special day to make such things, in my opinion.

That being said, once I get the new house, I do hope to train daily, or close to it. Bag work, forms and basic techniques should all be fairly doable in the new place! I suppose one could call this a new house resolution?

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
DWx wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
DWx wrote:
Happy New Year all

2. Start my own club

Starting your own club, Danielle, is a great idea because you've got everything required in making it a great success!! Your Student Body will be very fortunate in having you as their instructor!!

I hope so... though it probably won't go over well at my current club or with my instructor

True. However, I believe that they'd both support you across the board because you represent them. Albeit, If your current club and/or your instructor create difficulties for you then neither of them are worthy of you, therefore, there are more fish in the sea than the for you to affiliate with.

Why do you believe that it probably won't go over well with your current club or with your instructor??

After all, neither of them own you!! I believe that the club is just a chip off any Governing Body, and in that, if the club shuns you, the Governing Body should still support you opening your own club.

Sure, it's always important to have their support, I respect that, but you have to follow your dreams, and not theirs. I ran into some difficulties when I first wanted to open my first Kyuodan Dojo from my Dai-Soke, but, it was my decision, and not theirs to make. If that meant that I'd be shunned with no direct relationships with the SKKA and/or Dai-Soke, then so be it. There are worse things to have happen. Like being their slaved robot. When Dai-Soke saw and realized that I was going to open my dojo without his blessing, and that it was my right to do so, he quickly jumped aboard in full support.

No matter what anyone says, you have to follow your own path, and not the path of others...no matter what!!

I won't go into too much detail on a public forum but I'd be looking to change associations and affiliations. It boils down to not agreeing with the direction the club is going or how things are being taught. We're also at the point now where we don't always agree technically and I've been looking elsewhere for technical guidance. Also though I wouldn't intentionally go after them, I think a number of students would leave with me.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
DWx wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
DWx wrote:
Happy New Year all

2. Start my own club

I won't go into too much detail on a public forum but I'd be looking to change associations and affiliations. It boils down to not agreeing with the direction the club is going or how things are being taught. We're also at the point now where we don't always agree technically and I've been looking elsewhere for technical guidance. Also though I wouldn't intentionally go after them, I think a number of students would leave with me.

We just had a similar split in our school. The person with the highest rank in our club and our master instructor were frequently butting heads about how and when to teach certain things (and also about particular motions in forms...) In the end, there was a split, and several students went to the new club.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
I gave up on making New Year's Resolutions. If there's something I need to do, I'll do it. There's no need for a special day to make such things, in my opinion.

That being said, once I get the new house, I do hope to train daily, or close to it. Bag work, forms and basic techniques should all be fairly doable in the new place! I suppose one could call this a new house resolution?

I just look at the New Year’s resolution thing as a way to look at things I haven’t paid enough attention to or things I’ve been meaning to do. Giving myself a specific date keeps me on track somewhat. It’s goal setting like any other day, but somehow the first day of the year is motivating to put the plan into action.

I do the same thing at the end of the school year, giving myself a list of things I want to and need to accomplish before school starts again.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
I just look at the New Year’s resolution thing as a way to look at things I haven’t paid enough attention to or things I’ve been meaning to do. Giving myself a specific date keeps me on track somewhat. It’s goal setting like any other day, but somehow the first day of the year is motivating to put the plan into action.

I do the same thing at the end of the school year, giving myself a list of things I want to and need to accomplish before school starts again.

Studies actually show that starting a goal or a new habit on a significant date makes you more likely to stick to it. Signifiant dates create temporal barriers in our minds that separate time into "then" and "now". It makes it easier to think "I didn't exercise then, but I do now". You can almost think of yourself as a different person. It's a psychological trick.

It works for any date that separates time-- first of the year, first of the month, birthdays, even Mondays. If you start your new goals at those times, you're more likely to succeed.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to make grandiose claims based on great intentions for the new year. However, I finish up graduate school in May and am planning two non-MA careers at that point. So, my MA goals are humble ones.

I know that I will continue to support my instructor and help her stay up-to-date on Kukkiwon/Chung Do Kwan info. I hope to return to regular training on my own and training at friend's dojang, as I can in the coming year. I take my training with me everywhere I go. I miss training and teaching regularly. It will happen again, but I have things I need to do first.

Last edited by IcemanSK on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Years resolution - my wife said I should try to be not so opinionated and stead fast in my opinion. To open up and listen to wrong idea's and accept them as facts at least to that person.

I lectured her for a half an hour on why she was wrong with detailed examples.

I guess that didn't last long. Oh well, there's always next year!

Thank God she thinks I'm pretty!!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
DWx wrote:
Happy New Year all

2. Start my own club

Best of luck in this endeavor, and please keep us posted.

I don't think I've done a good job with my resolutions, so I'm not sure this year. For one, I'd like to stay a bit more regular at class, at least once per week, and more if I can swing it. That's it for now.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not calling these New Year's resolutions, but rather year-long goals.

Sensei asked us what our goals were this year. I determined to earn my green belt. I am yellow now and feel this is achievable with a fair amount of work. He uses a 7 belt ranking system (white, yellow, blue, green, brown and black).

I also signed up for a 5k in April to get myself to the gym with specific goal-oriented motivation, rather than just the broad scope of losing weight or get into shape. I find those too vague and lack the motivation to work hard. I also convinced my daughter to do the kids run at the 5k.

This is all in addition to and in support of the tournament series and 1 grappling competition I want to do this year.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: