Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't follow water polo, either, RW. But I guess it depends on who you ask. Check out this article by Jim Caple.

Quote:
Water polo is so popular in Croatia and the rest of the Balkans that pros can earn six figures playing in some of Europe's poorer countries. There are water polo cages on most beaches and clubs in most cities.

"In the Balkans, it's their national sport," Azevedo said. "I lived in Dubrovnik [Croatia] for two years as well as Montenegro, and they do a great job of making it a big event, making it something the fans want to go to and see. You can go and buy shirts and buy food and watch this game. It's a cultural thing.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

AdamKralic
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very disappointing to me.

We need 1,400 different running events but cannot have more than one martial art?

Also never understood karate people that were against it. How exactly would it hurt you? Rule changes? Hey there is a NBA...yet my son and I are free to play H.O.R.S.E. without fear. Your local dojo would also not likely change their entire system to adhere to a event that happens once every 4 years. I'd imagine most of the people that believe that it would somehow negatively affect them...are not even regularly competing in circuits.

Yet there are children out there right now...that will lose opportunities due to karate not being in the olympics.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main problem with a sport going Olympic like that is that the main concern becomes the saturation of the sport with so many people in order to find the best talent out there. Sure, you get the best, but you also end up like so many TKD schools that are teaching Olympic style, or Judo, which is so focused on sport now that self-defense goes by the wayside. I think these things are what many Karateka would be concerned about. Then you have to deal with being a club or school that is not one of the Olympic style schools, adhering to the IOC rules and regs, and then the draw you might have had drops because you aren't providing that Olympic opportunity.

That's just my guess.

AdamKralic
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that...but what I see MOST of with children atleast?

Parents believe karate is a glorified babysitting service. For every good young karate student? I'd guess that there are ATLEAST 15 glorified baby sat kids.

Those parents will put no more effort into finding a dojo than they did prior.

The biggest McDojo chain they can find in a 4 second google search will win their $$$. Olympic training isn't really what they want as that might require some effort on their behalf.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone is curious what the actual of number of events for different sports is at the Summer Olympics, check out the list of current programs. For example:

Athletics (including running, but other things, as well, like the pole vault, shot put, etc.): 47
Swimming: 34
Wrestling: 18
Judo: 14
Boxing: 13
Fencing: 10
Taekwondo: 8
Diving: 8
Equestrian: 6
Table tennis: 5
Badminton: 5
Water polo: 2
Synchronized swimming: 2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
Just in case anyone is curious what the actual of number of events for different sports is at the Summer Olympics, check out the list of current programs. For example:

Athletics (including running, but other things, as well, like the pole vault, shot put, etc.): 47
Swimming: 34
Wrestling: 18
Judo: 14
Boxing: 13
Fencing: 10
Taekwondo: 8
Diving: 8
Equestrian: 6
Table tennis: 5
Badminton: 5
Water polo: 2
Synchronized swimming: 2

I can completely understand why the coverage as it is when you see the number of events for each.

I can see why anything MA is where it is; fan based interest, I suppose.

Thanks for the breakdown Patrick; allows one to see a wider picture.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamKralic wrote:
I can see that...but what I see MOST of with children atleast?

Parents believe karate is a glorified babysitting service. For every good young karate student? I'd guess that there are ATLEAST 15 glorified baby sat kids.

Those parents will put no more effort into finding a dojo than they did prior.

The biggest McDojo chain they can find in a 4 second google search will win their $$$. Olympic training isn't really what they want as that might require some effort on their behalf.

I don't know that it is all as bad as that. There are some that could be the case with, but hey, if parents want to pay me to babysit their kids, then fine. They'll learn some good TKD in the process, and what effort they put in is up to them.

But by and large, at least my experiences, is that the parents are pretty good about getting to know what their kids are involved in, and will listen when it comes to advise about practicing at home and what not to get better.

jrharbar
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Traditional Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree

but a spar form of Karate wold be more suited for the Olympics, the same way for the petition of submitting only BJJ

I wold go all the way on Traditional 100 participant kumite for a 1 or 2 day event.
no gloves no pads just taped knuckles and a whole lot of balls and mouth pieced fighters.
no points, only the knock down rule (if you get knocked down and stay down you lose)

that wold be awesome !!!!!

Picalo
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karate should not be in the games. Too many orgs represent karate and it is not a sport. as I see it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picalo wrote:
Karate should not be in the games. Too many orgs represent karate and it is not a sport. as I see it.

I agree, inasmuch, Karate WILL be treated as a sport in the Olympics because of its venue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: