Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A water pistol is to slow, I used a real .22 cal revolver I had. You can pretty much tell if you were going to get shot or not when the hammer falls.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana wrote:
A water pistol is to slow, I used a real .22 cal revolver I had. You can pretty much tell if you were going to get shot or not when the hammer falls.

Interesting, how does it work out for the students?

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works great I think. The real pistol has weight, feel and is just plain REAL that a water, wood or plastic pistol doesn't have, plus dropping the hammer adds a sense of realism to the practice.

You can pretty well tell if you were going to get hit or not.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

CDraper
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a kid and my brother was in the army and one of his buddies told me he could take a pistol away from me before I pulled the trigger. So he set it up with an unloaded pistol and holy cow that dude was fast. I held it on him and bam he had it before I had the trigger pulled.

That being said I'm pretty sure there are not many people that can do that, pretty sure I can not.

Overall I think a firearm is critical to self defense. Particularly if you are disabled. There is absolutely no way my parents could repel an assault on them if someone broke into their house. Their health is not good enough and having a firearm would be their only chance.

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a guy around the internet with the "fastest gun defense", sounds like what you described. while krav maga gun defense technically is easy and fast, this guy just slaps it out of a lose one handed grip. just for show off purposes i guess. when held with two hands it wouldn't even work in that direction since the second forearm is in the way. there are better, but slightly slower disarming techniques in krav maga that work no matter if held with one or two hands. and it must be as simple as possible, not 1000 techniques you have to chose from in such a stress situation.
however i think the op thought of amok runners, not of guys who come close and hold their gun to our nose so we could take it away.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the gun defense Jackie Chan did in Rush Hour. The one where he takes the gun apart while Chris Tucker is still pointing it at him.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I ALWAYS stressed in my classes when dealing with gun/knife defense is this..If the guy just wants your wallet, car, cell or whatever..just GIVE IT TO HIM! Your life is worth MORE than whatever amout of money (or whatever) than what you have!

However, if the guy is intent on killing you, then you'd better do something!

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the problem. if he is willing to kill you, in most cases i think he would just shoot and not come close and aim on you. no chance then.
imo its most relevant for not getting to captivity or when the guy says things like he will kill your whole family and such. its easy to talk about that and to train gun disarm but acting in a real situation, not that simple.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: