Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

darksoul
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkfighterg6g wrote:
next on another thread you siad something asuot not trying to teach my self honestly thats to late already did it. i am not claiming to be good at it but its still better than nothing. but i understand your points.

You may think so now, but when you train with an instructor, I think you'll find that you hadn't taught yourself anything at all.

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes 4 years, at least, to get a black belt. I am not sure how much help I can be on the TKD questions, since I don't take it. However, I know that Tae Kwon Do has powerful kicks like the flying side kick and some others. I would never join any ATA schools, as they are McDojos. If you are looking to take TKD, I would recommend choosing any other school.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: a few question Reply with quote

darkfighterg6g wrote:
1]how long does it take to get a black belt legitimately.

2] its olympic style tkd i think would they allow me to use my self taugh boxing strikes
3] would tkd be a good pick
4] are there any hand strikes in tkd

1. It depends on the school. I'd guess between 2 and 4 years.

2. As long as you hit their designated target area, you should be fine. Most of the time, they use punches only in competition, and they aren't usually scored much, if at all.

3. It depends on what your goals are for the Martial Arts. If you don't have anything else going on, its as good a place as any to start.

4. Yes, you'll do lots of different hand strikes in the forms and in some one-steps, but in sparring, you'll mainly see punching.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darksoul wrote:
darkfighterg6g wrote:
next on another thread you siad something asuot not trying to teach my self honestly thats to late already did it. i am not claiming to be good at it but its still better than nothing. but i understand your points.

You may think so now, but when you train with an instructor, I think you'll find that you hadn't taught yourself anything at all.

yes. From experience, you will walk out of the very first class realizing that you learned more in the first thirty minutes than you did for the past year of self training - and a few weeks later you will discover that it will take you months just to train the bad habits from that period out so that you can start to be as good as the people who had never trained who just started in the class.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:
darksoul wrote:
darkfighterg6g wrote:

yes. From experience, you will walk out of the very first class realizing that you learned more in the first thirty minutes than you did for the past year of self training - and a few weeks later you will discover that it will take you months just to train the bad habits from that period out so that you can start to be as good as the people who had never trained who just started in the class.
The first half of what you say, I do agree with. The second half, I think comes down to the individual. Some people are pretty natural athletes, and can overcome physical miscues more easily than others.

But, overall, I do agree that instruction as opposed to individual self-training is a better rout to follow.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know that whenever I get two students in at the same time, the one who has not done martial arts or self-training is always the one who grasps the movements the most quickly.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:
I do know that whenever I get two students in at the same time, the one who has not done martial arts or self-training is always the one who grasps the movements the most quickly.
I don't doubt that at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: