Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

darkfighterg6g
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: a few question Reply with quote

1]how long does it take to get a black belt legitimately.

2] its olympic style tkd i think would they allow me to use my self taugh boxing strikes
3] would tkd be a good pick
4] are there any hand strikes in tkd

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1: Depends on what the belt consists of, but any less than, oh, 10,000 hours of class time is probably a bit dodgy.
3: Depends on your goals, resources, and the school in question.

darkfighterg6g
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3. i gues kind of to throw kicks in and sparring time

Excoastie
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say at least 3-4 years, if you're committed and attend class regularly AND don't miss any scheduled testings.

I doubt that you're current skills will provide you any leg up in rank, unless you've been previously ranked in another martial arts style AND you're instructor recognizes it. I do think that the skills that you have will be an asset to what you'll learn.

good luck

Exco

darkfighterg6g
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will it be worth it in the long run of learning it.
the website says it offers self defense at the place does that mean i have a choice to choose.

it says they teach olympic tkd at the local ymca and at the school[this is closer to me] practical self defense

so if i go to the school they will teach self defense not tkd then

darksoul
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkfighterg6g wrote:
will it be worth it in the long run of learning it.
the website says it offers self defense at the place does that mean i have a choice to choose.

it says they teach olympic tkd at the local ymca and at the school[this is closer to me] practical self defense

so if i go to the school they will teach self defense not tkd then

I'm not a TKD guy but I've fought plenty for TKD guys. Very strong kicks, so-so punches, no ground fighting. It's a great art if you're going to keep them at a leg's distance.

But yes... learning it will be worth it in the long run. Techniques you learn in TKD can be applied to other martial arts if you ever chose to go into another style such as Karate, Shotokan, Hapkido, etc...

evergrey
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always heard that TKD is very big on the kicks. A lot of fast, fancy high kicks. Having a strong punch will help you in sparring, of course... but there are many ways to punch and they might decide that yours needs to be re-trained to be properly a TKD punch.

In many martial arts, once you reach a certain level it's expected, I think, for you to develop a bit more of your own style in your sparring within the framework of the style you are training in, as you find what exactly works best for YOU.

As a beginner in a style, however, it is best I think to go in with an open mind and not allow yourself to have the attitude that you already know "enough" about this or that thing. Then you are not open to learning as much, and as a result, your progress might be slowed down.

I'm not going to tell you that you should or should not take up TKD, of course. I won't preach "this style is better or worse than that style!" I will only say, if you choose it, be the clay that is ready to be shaped and molded by your instructors. Don't come in trying to already be a certain shape!

OSU

darksoul
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evergrey wrote:
I have always heard that TKD is very big on the kicks. A lot of fast, fancy high kicks. Having a strong punch will help you in sparring, of course... but there are many ways to punch and they might decide that yours needs to be re-trained to be properly a TKD punch.

In many martial arts, once you reach a certain level it's expected, I think, for you to develop a bit more of your own style in your sparring within the framework of the style you are training in, as you find what exactly works best for YOU.

As a beginner in a style, however, it is best I think to go in with an open mind and not allow yourself to have the attitude that you already know "enough" about this or that thing. Then you are not open to learning as much, and as a result, your progress might be slowed down.

I'm not going to tell you that you should or should not take up TKD, of course. I won't preach "this style is better or worse than that style!" I will only say, if you choose it, be the clay that is ready to be shaped and molded by your instructors. Don't come in trying to already be a certain shape!

OSU

Impeccably said.

Every art is worthy of respect... well... everything except Ameri-do-te. That style is just TOO DEADLY.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: a few question Reply with quote

darkfighterg6g wrote:
1]how long does it take to get a black belt legitimately.

2] its olympic style tkd i think would they allow me to use my self taugh boxing strikes
3] would tkd be a good pick
4] are there any hand strikes in tkd

1) 3-4 years usually but that depends on how much you train and the school

2 and 4) if its Olympic TKD and they use Olympic rules for sparring, don't expect to be using the hands much. In Olympic TKD you can't strike to the face with the hands although you can strike the body. What you've learnt in boxing may help but the sparring rules will differ in that uppercuts, crosses etc. will not be permitted or scored. Olympic TKD is points based but to score, a strike must be dealt hard enough, I think the term they use is "trembling shock". There are plenty of hand strikes in TKD, if it is Olympic/WTF TKD try searching for examples of the "poomse" and "taeguek" forms on YouTube to see what type of strikes they do. But the majority of these strikes may not be used in free sparring and will be used only in forms practice and step-sparring type training.

Other styles of TKD can include more hands; I do ITF TKD and would say our sparring is more 60:40 feet:hands.

3) Is TKD a good pick? Yes and no. It depends on your goals and on the school. You will almost certainly be taught to kick and will be taught to kick well. Hand strikes may be lacking but again depends on the school. How much self defence is covered is again dependant on the school. If the school is advertising itself as specifically as Olympic TKD then it maybe more sport orientated than self defence.

You will learn next to nothing of ground fighting other than striking from the ground so if you want to learn grappling for self defence or want to learn more than a basic level of throws, it'd be better to look into a grappling based school.

Maybe link to the website so we could see? Best thing to do would be to go along and watch or try a few classes and to speak with the instructor.

darkfighterg6g
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evergrey wrote:

OSU

i woudnt walk in there being like i know how to punch and block give me your best black belt to fight ill beat him.

first its just rude. second its stupid. third id probally make the people there mad or a good thing to do to the guy teaching you

next on another thread you siad something asuot not trying to teach my self honestly thats to late already did it. i am not claiming to be good at it but its still better than nothing. but i understand your points.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: