Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

shuriken_girl
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:49 pm    Post subject: A great book on qi, philosophy of life & white crane kun Reply with quote

"The Essence of Shaolin White Crane: martial power and qigong" is a great book by Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming.
It's given me so much motivation to do my very best in my martial arts, taught me a lot about the different types of martial arts, what qi is and in instructive photographs shows some real Shaolin White Crane Kungfu techniques. Of particular interest is how it shows the difference between hard and soft styles, and how soft styles are so powerful when they hardly use any muscle power at all.

It's also great to read if you practice Buddhism. As for me, I am not religious but I do study and follow Buddhist philosophy.

Excerpt (it's a short story):

"There is a story told to me by one of my students. There was once a samurai swordsman who came to visit an old Zen master. The warrior said: "Respectable master! I have been a samurai swordsman for many, many years. However, I have heard that you are a very knowledgeable master, so I have come to ask you a very serious question and hopefully you may give me the answer. Will you teach me about heaven and hell?" The old master snapped his head up in disgust and said, "Teach you about heaven and hell? I doubt you could even keep your own sword from rusting, you ignorant fool. How dare you suppose that you could understand anything that I might have to say?"

The old man went on and on, becoming even more insulting, while the young swordsman's surprise turned first to confusion, then to hot anger, rising by the minute. Master or no master, who can insult a samurai and live?

At last, with teeth clenched and blood nearly boiling with fury, the warrior blindly drew his sword and prepared to end the old man's sharp toungue and life all in one moment. The master looked straight into his eyes and said gently, "That's hell."

At the peak of his rage, the samurai realized that this was indeed his teaching; the master had bounded him into a living hell, driven by uncontrolled anger and ego. The young man, profoundly humbled, sheathed his sword and bowed to this great spiritual teacher. Looking up into the wise man's aged, beaming face, he felt more love and compassion than he had ever felt in his life, at which point the master raised his index finger, as would a schoolteacher and said, "And that's heaven.""

(end excerpt)

The book has given me a whole other view on what it means to be a martial artist.
Anyone read a book or seen a video by Dr. Yang, or know another great book on the subject of martial arts theory/practice?

shuriken_girl
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAAH! It's censored. Heaven and H-e-l-l.
* = H-e-l-l

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awsome book.... I don't study kung fu but it looks like the type of thing I would love to read thanks for the heads up

I AM CANADIAN

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also interested in Buddism, although I am not a religous man. If you like this sort of thing and want a different angle then try reading "Ki in Daily Life" and "Aikido" by Koichi Tohei. Also any of the teachings by O Sensei Ueshiba.

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. Shoalin Crane is a great style.

omnifinite
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Hapkido | Kempo | Jujitsu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My amazon wish list grows longer every day.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: