Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all (but I think this post is mainly aimed at SaiFightsMS )

As many of you know, I train in the art of Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo. I am at the stage now of advanced use of the Sai (7th-5th Kyu).

There is a kata called San-cho-zai. As the more terminology-wise practictioners, this means "3 sai kata".

I want to know if anyone knows of any places that will ship sai in threes, and not just in pairs.

I've looked all over, but I cant find a thing.

If anybody's wondering, in the kata you throw one sai, then pull out the other from behind your belt, then later in the kata you throw it again.

C ya

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have honestly never seen a sai sold as a single. I have 3 because I have 2 pairs. My first pair were steel and 19". Last year I got a pair of aluminum 18" ones that I really love.

When I got my first pair I got them from my sensei and the only sizes he could get that year were 15" and 19".

Sounds like I better get san cho zai out.

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must really be advanced. Three sai's!!! I don't use sai's so to me ne is a challenge.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe

I love using the sai, especially when you get to throw them.

A little history lesson for you Joe - I think you may find it interesting:

The sai were used by the Okinawan police (japanese police used a similar weapon, called the Jutte). If a criminal tried to run away, the police would throw one of the sai at their legs, hindering the criminals chance of escape.

Thats why if you ever see someone throw a sai, they will aim quite close to their own foot.

Hey SaiFightsMs - have you ever seen anyone throw sai into their foot? Just wondering, cos I haven't!

Any more questions Joe, ask SaiFightsMS or myself - I'm sure we'll be happy to answer them, wont we Sai

C ya

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ronryu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito ryu karate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am familar withthe 3kata type techniques. However we do not actulally throw the sia . I do not know of anyone selling the sia in 3's .However ido know of some one who does sell throwing sia . http://www.weaponsconnection.com
Maybe that will help with your search .

Ryukyu kobudo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Tobias I have not yet seen anyone spear their own, or anyone elses, foot by accident.

One of the first moves many learn at a sai seminar is to jump and get their bare feet out of the way when they drop a sai.

Last spring when the neibhbors were digging up the ground to set out their gardens I thought about going outside and practicing throws. Then I thought about how close to a police station I live and how much I didn't want to visit it. So I did not go outside to practice.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had another thought about the third sai. It seems to me like by the time a person is seriously working on san cho sai they are pretty committed to working with the sai. So maybe many are ready to commit to getting a "good pair". Or maybe to get another pair so that they can take the old ones outside and bang them up practicing throws but still have nice looking sai for demo purposes.

My second set I like very much. One of the things I find I am really liking is that they are not chrome finished. I find without the chrome I have much better control over techniques involving interlocking the sai.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I'm planning on buying a new pair of sai, but some of the ones with no chrome. I am currently holding a pair at my house for someone, and am secretly practicing with them. I think they are brilliant.

But first, I need to get myself a nunti-bo....

C ya

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: