Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:10 am    Post subject: A no bull guide to KI exercises Reply with quote

This is would be a great interst to MAs who are interseted like me in gaining the spirit.

http://www.bodymindandmodem.com/KiEx/KiEx.html

I would also like to ask if meditation is enough in gaining spiritual enery or should I also aswell as that inclued these exercises.

Thanks

Tiger

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol.

Meditation is nothing. The skill is in the movements. Ki is alive not some dead entity that enters your mind ONLY when all is quiet. It is around us all the time, it is us. It is not the sort of thing that can be merely acquired! But looking at the list of your arts, you dont really use Ki, except in Kiai's. Which dont really focus Ki constantly.

Meditation is something that must be taught, try going to a good Wudang Kwoon or Aikido dojo, it is not just a matter of sitting and thinking I want ki. lol.

take care.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont worry my teacher showed me Mokuso (Japanese meditation) which is deep breathing and is desighned to control the mind and calm it sinmilar to that of KI. Oh and that little KIAI is very important, I combine Mind body and Spirit, so yes it is important, in shotokan it is said that without the undertsanding and use of the 'hara' the student will progress to a point and no thurther.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aware of the use of Kiai's, in Aikido they are done silently, the shout itself is not important, it is just a manifestation of the Ki that you are trying to project. It is my understanding that Nakayama, believed that shotokan should follow a more scientific lines, not so much Ki. But perhaps I am wrong.

Seiken No Itten is the use of the hara, it is very difficult in Shotokan, to begin to use Ki, as unfortunately is has move a lot more towards sports, especially the big unions like the KUGB and SEKU. Also the large exchanges in the hips and stepping.

But to advance to the best in shotokan (which VERY few do) is to cast aside the idea of the use of the biscep for effective punching and the use of tension, as this only hurts the body in the long run. But to use better biomechanic's which is the closest thing to explaining Ki on a scientific level.

Welcome back Tiger.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No shotokan is still quite traditional, the sporting aspect is only one part of karate but I follow the traditional path. Nakayama Sensei was in great favour of the use of Kime or focus and rejected other methods like the chinese influence as he called it where you build up power through movement in a continuous arc. Long term preventern to injuries can be combated with the correct karate stretching, and the use of KIAI is also used as a powerful exhale where the body is relaxed right up until tension and is very effective, and dont worry the traditional side of Shotokan is growing and is still the largest practiced MA in the world.

I would like to ask you why you think meditation is nothing. The meditation I do is different than that of other methods.
What do you think of this method as a KI exercise?

Kneeling position with back straight, hands on lap looking forward at a point 18 inches in fron of you eyes half open, breath in through the nose and vizualize the course that the air takes until it reaches the 'hara' and goes around in a ever decreasing circle until reaching the point at this time the 15 second inhalation should have stopped and on exhalation the abdomen should be contracted and vizualize the air going in the opposite direction. It should be performed for i minute after training and is a great menefit in calming the mind and controling the ebb and flow of your emothions, sounds similar to some of those KI exercises?

Welcome back Kensai

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shotokan was never really TRADITIONAL in the Okinawan sence. I have studied Shotokan with the best teachers in the UK, namely Sensei Enoeda, and this is how I have formulated my opiniuon, though experience.

Meditation, unfortunately will not give us the power to fly or create fire balls.

Meditiation however does give us the ability to clear our minds, to get a state of Mushin (no mind). This gives you the ability to move quickly and react fast, this is what gave many of the great masters the aura of super powers. Also when in a state of Mushin, one has no fear, no love just nothing. So nothing is in the way apart from your goal.

The Aikido Ki exercise's are to promote these abilties, to basically make you unmoveable.

"Breath in the Unverise and breath out the universe"
Sensei Williams.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kensai you know what I mean. What do you think if those KI exercises anyway since I think its an Aikido page from what they are wearing but I may be wrong but whats your opinion.

diamondick
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: judo, Jeet kune do,Tai chi chuan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway it looks a bit more serious than some posted before
, I cant get to see the videos
Anyone tried those ki tricks and have them work?

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you have to strenghen your KI before you can do that. Anyway after reading a book about Aikido I found that my meditation is actually 'deep breathing' and is different to normal breathing where you just do it through the chest cavity but you do it through the 'hara' (lower abdomen) and is different to exerciseing spiritual energy.

diamondick
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: judo, Jeet kune do,Tai chi chuan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think doing meditation and qi qong cannot erradicate love and hate from the human being it can only be forgotten momentaneously,
You agree?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: