Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

jeffrogers
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Hakutsuru (White Crane Karate), Shaolin Kenpo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes very well written and enligthening article. -Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

White Warlock
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: See my Intro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice article. Wanted to add a comment.

I believe i understand the misunderstanding occurring here. Regardless of whatever physical, mental, external or internal abilities... we are all still human. That was the foundation behind Martial Artist's post. We are all bound by the same limitations. Even if we decide to push it to the limit of those limitations, the limitations nonetheless do exist and it is these limitations... this 'mortality' that is presented as the evenrod of our need to maintain respect to all persons, regardless of physical, mental, intellectual, or spiritual heights, that should govern our every condition and decision... to whatever extreme.

In the end, death is death and it does not play favorites.

edit: Granted, not everyone realizes what their limitations are, and many 'assume' their limitations are far lower than they truly are.

Intro

italian_guy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Formerly in Goju ryu karate (Nidan) now in Wing chun with past experience also in krav Maga, Kickboxing, Tai chi chuan (yang) and JKD.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Warlock wrote:
Nice article. Wanted to add a comment.

I believe i understand the misunderstanding occurring here. Regardless of whatever physical, mental, external or internal abilities... we are all still human. That was the foundation behind Martial Artist's post. We are all bound by the same limitations. Even if we decide to push it to the limit of those limitations, the limitations nonetheless do exist and it is these limitations... this 'mortality' that is presented as the evenrod of our need to maintain respect to all persons, regardless of physical, mental, intellectual, or spiritual heights, that should govern our every condition and decision... to whatever extreme.

In the end, death is death and it does not play favorites.

edit: Granted, not everyone realizes what their limitations are, and many 'assume' their limitations are far lower than they truly are.

Thanks for this clarification... before that I admit that I didn't fully understand the article and in the dispute between Martial Artist and Killer Miller I was more in agreement with KM, but if this is the real meaning of the article... I appreciate it more

karateguy24
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Karate and BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Article. I don't agree with it though. Not every Piece of it I am saying I don't agrew with. But alot of it I don't. For example each style has its own ways and pattersn of doing those things. Unless you work outside your pretty much are goign to defend your self based off of adrinline fear or anger and what ever programing you gave your body by repition. So saying you can be prepared for what ever the person does is kind of silly.

You can prepare for all you want. The reality is we only better are chances of doing better we don't garentee we will.

This is why I believe in Cross training. But that is my opinion.

Also I do agree with that we are all human and in some little way or big way after an ecounter of human engagment of some sort we aren't the same we learn something or something happens to us and we change.

Port of that aritcle remind me of the philisophy bruce lee wrote in his books. but that was just eastern Philosophy reworded and having it fit or tie in with the martial arts.

still none the less the well writen article I just don't neccearily agree with it.

"Side Note: The title of the article does state A PRINCIPLE. This article was never intended to cover every aspect of fighting, just a single concept deemed important by the author."

so what is the principle you were trying to get across exactly? No fear?

That isn't going to happen. Me when I get into a physical altercation I do have fear, or anxiety. Its just how you deal with those emtotions and go on.

But thats my opinion take it for what ever its worth.

White Warlock
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: See my Intro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm... may i suggest rereading that article, as it seems you completely misunderstood just about every part of it.

Intro

40 cent
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it was an awesome article, beauty in its simplicity.

killer miller, i think the purpose of the article was not to suggest an untrained person can defeat a trained one, moreso to demonstarte that we ALL have the same weaknesses no matter how much we train, in the end, we are all human and none of us are immortal. No amount of practice will make us immortal, and although we seek it, we can never reach perfection, not even with 'perfect practice.' In the end, the extraordinary MA's you've seen are human, and have trained in a humanly manner.

Thanks for the article (y)

Sunrunner
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Isshin Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a beautiful article. I think that this article speaks a lot to the art of compassion as well as to the art of fighting. Thanks for the article, I found it to be very thought provoking.

"train until the art becomes an artless art, flowing from the unconscious."

EvilTed
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: World Oyama Karate San Francisco under Sensei Seito. 2cnd Kyu.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh soooo Grasshopper....

Seriously, this reads like something from the script of "Kung Fu"

I don't know how many "real" fights you've been in, but every one I've been in, the humanity of the opponent did not even cross my mind.

It's always down to "fight as if your life depended on it and do unto others as they would do to you. Just do it first !"

ET

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, in every fight I have been the 'humanity'of my opponent has always been on my mind. If I hit him he will feel pain because he is only human. If I break his nose it will hurt. If I break a wrist he won't be able to use it. If I cut him he will bleed. His humanity is always a prominent factor in every fight.

Cut him, he'll bleed.
Hit him, he'll feel pain.
Break him, he'll feel disability.
Kill him, he'll die.

That is the humanity of a fighter.

The humanity of a martial artist is understanding this and using it. You will not kill everyone you fight. But that doesn't mean that person will not die if you do. Regardless if he studies jiu-jitsu, kenpo, karate, or any other martial art. Men bleed. Men hurt. Men die. It doesn't change with style. And THAT is the principle of fighting spoken of in the article.

Do with it what you will.

longarm25
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Ryu Kyu Te

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice post

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha
but do not reley on them." Musashi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: