Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: A Principle of Fighting Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

As martial artists we train for various reasons. Some of those reasons deal with our physical health. Some of us train to attain higher levels of spiritual enlightenment. There are some that seek both. Whatever our reason behind the dedication devoted to our training we are all martial artists. We are all seeking personal answers to our personal questions through combative expression.

The martial arts allow us a great deal of leeway in finding our paths for personal self-expression. We can either seek this goal aggressively or passively. That is, either our hunger for personal growth expresses itself through the seeking of fighting or through the movements we dedicate our bodies to.

A martial artist, however, is not one who is full of anger or hatred. A martial artist is an artist of the methods of things martial. How we define those things we encounter in our schools, with our teachers and fellow-students and in the philosophies of others is what gives a personal touch to our martial arts: our growth as martial artists.

The hobby, art, recreation, life we have chosen has its roots in the basic human right to survival, to self-preservation. No one has the responsibility for your safety other than you. You decide how your life will be lived, the choices to be made, and the paths to follow. Responsibility for survival is the martial artists’.

For some there comes a time when the martial artist, seeker of peace and things enlightening to personal development, must exercise the techniques learned to defend self or others. And not all martial artists will succeed in this endeavor. This is what is dangerous to the casual martial artist. This is the thread of chance that could lead to disaster for the martial artists ill-prepared for the encounter that could forever affect their lives. This is the fight.

Every fight is not the same. Every encounter is different. You are never the same after an encounter. Whether the martial artist survives with no harm he is still not the same martial artist he was before the fight. Change always happens. The open mind always learns. So can the closed mind.

For every fight with every opponent there is one singular constant that is beyond the reach of any style, that supersedes the boundaries of system and pattern, that frees the mind and body. That is: your opponent is human.

While there are many elements to define and regulate each and every chaotic fight; while fighting itself is volatile and subject to no rule; and while there are many factors that few will ever understand there is one element that can be heeded and comprehended regardless of the insignia the martial artist bears on his uniform. That is: your opponent is human.

While you may study karate in its many flavors, or the arts of Korea, or China, or America, or the arts varied across the world there is one constant amongst every single man or woman you will encounter. They are in many ways no different than you.

A human being, being normal as pertaining to things that are considered normal, has two arms, two legs, a head, torso and a variety of organs necessary to properly function. Aside from rare cases, this is the state of every human on this rock. There is a principle of fighting to be learned in this semi-universal truth. And the wise will find it. The wiser will utilize it.

No matter who stands before you threatening your person, he has two arms. He has two legs. So do you. He may study a different style than you. He may not study any style other than the style of reckless experience. It matters not to you. Whatever movement he may attempt on you, regardless of the style from which it springs, bears no importance to you, the martial artist. For you are a human as well. And, hopefully, a human well trained. His two fists can only do what two fists are capable of. His legs can only do what human legs are capable of.

Your opponent is built no different from you. Whatever technique from whatever style still only springs from the human model. The same model you are using. There is no magic in the movements of your opponent. You train to have your body react in a certain way, but you have the control of how it acts before the reaction.

The martial artist sees that the person he is facing is another human being. The martial artist sees that though the movement may be different, though the punch be delivered differently, the punch is still a punch. It is still a hand attached to an arm attached to another human being. It can act no different than it was designed to. It is still an arm acting under the rules that govern the movements of an arm. It is still a man moving like a man, moving within the rules that govern the motion of the human body. There should be nothing that man does that the martial artist is not expecting or capable of dealing with, because there is nothing that his body can do that falls outside the boundaries of the human being.

It is important to remember that any opponent you fight is basically no different from yourself. It is imperative to remember in a self-defense situation that the person attacking you is flesh and blood. Pain, injury and death are ultimately the weakness of every person.

There is no place for fear against an aggressor. Regardless of their intent, their style of "martial arts" or their device they are ultimately human. That is your strength and their weakness. Conversely, it is your weakness and their strength.

In the end, you must choose how to live your life. You must decide what you will do and in what direction you travel. Some of us will do whatever is necessary to protect precious life. Some of us proscribe our lives to certain dogmas. Some of us seek purity in action. In the end, it is how we travel the path that decides what destination we arrive at.

Side Note: The title of the article does state A PRINCIPLE. This article was never intended to cover every aspect of fighting, just a single concept deemed important by the author.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for submitting this article, MA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

CloudDragon
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Karate, Jujitsu, Kenpo, Taekwondo, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful article, reminds me of some real important concepts that sometimes get lost in todays world. Thank you.

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No prob.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

shanemm
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...i've never really thought of it that way. good article.

Jade_Lotus
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good article Martial Artists.

Animis Opibusque Parati

kchenault
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: TKD, little Hap Ki Do, Target Focus Training

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well written. Thanks for the read.

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant belive I didnt see this one sooner. Oustanding article.

For every fight with every opponent there is one singular constant that is beyond the reach of any style, that supersedes the boundaries of system and pattern, that frees the mind and body. That is: your opponent is human.

That statement is so simple yet profound. We all are human and once we all realize this we can understand and think about the consequences in every situation and aspect of our lives.

Killer Miller
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: JKA Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well written. However, the article is only true if the two opponents are equal. A lessor trained opponent against a well trained opponent, this concept does not apply. It makes it sound like two MAs can only reach a certain level because they are only human. I have seen some extraordanary MAs that I would never make such a statement for because they are trained/taught at a level and comprehension my American social life does not allow me to train for... This is a factor you have to respect and accept. To accept or believe anything less is not being truthful or real to yourself. It's one thing to have a positive image or outlook towards yourself, but it's another thing to be fictitious or unrealistic. Perfect practice makes perfect - Practice just makes practice...

- Killer Miller -
Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/
Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: