Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Thruhiker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TKD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: A Principle of Training: Power in Hitting Reply with quote

Martial_Artist wrote:

Yet, form alone is not enough. Something many martial artists fail to do is maintain excellent physical condition. How many martial artists can run a mile in under ten minutes? How many are in shape? Yet, these same martial artists who expect to do magnificent things with bodies, yet do not condition their bodies to do these things? How can they expect to kick hard, fight long or move smoothly, when their bodies have not been disciplined for such? Only the strictest of discipline wields the capable body.

Therefore, a key component of power in hitting is strength of the body. You needn't have large muscles, which I feel hinder a fighter more than help, but you must have strength. You must be able to hold your leg high to the side for a minute or longer with out swaying. You must be able to manipulate your body weight effortlessly. Strength of body allows you to move your body better in the proper form for hitting.

IMO it doesn't matter if you can run one mile or 100 miles. The average fight will only take seconds before it's finished. Beside if it doesn't your adrenaline will kick in.

It's always nice to have some muscle behind your martial arts. I'd like to see you hold your leg up for a full minute while I fight you. I know the drill is there to help develop your balance.

Killer Miller
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: JKA Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you are only 1/3 correct. It takes good form and technique to generate speed, then after the speed is generated, you must convert that speed into power or force being applied (which again is achieved via good form, stance, and a solid foundation during impact of the strike.)

- Killer -

Carnage wrote:

Speed is Power, that's my opinion on it.

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/
Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

White Warlock
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: See my Intro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IMO it doesn't matter if you can run one mile or 100 miles. The average fight will only take seconds before it's finished. Beside if it doesn't your adrenaline will kick in.

Ahh, but we don't train for the 'average' fight. If such was the case, then why spend decades stepping into the mat and taking great pains to receive great pains?

In the case of an average fight, it is true that we will likely not require 'endurance,' but for the unaverage fight, without maintaining a good physical condition, we would have given ourselves an undue disadvantage. One that could have easily been prevented.

Intro

Cmon
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Jeet Kune Do

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, im new here and new to martial arts and i thought this article was very good. I have one question. Form and speed is something i will gain over time with training, but breathing is something i can learn to use more effectively now. Can you please tell me how to breathe propaly and how to breathe when you strike. I have noticed that my instructor makes a noise when he strikes. Should i when i punch seem what noise comes out naturally and then harness that noise?

Tnx, Cmon.

Ashigeru
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai, Akijutsu, TKD, kempo, kenjutsu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good article!

I have only one thing to add.
When you strike someone, the force of the blow sends a shockwave through their body. Very quickly, some of the force rebounds back through the limb doing the striking, thus limiting the effective power of the strike. If you are able to retract your striking limb quickly enough, The recoiling power has no way to leave the opponents body.

My Sensei used this technique on me to prove that muscular power is no match for technique.

He threw a fast punch at my chest. Began retracting it even before touching me. His knuckles barely brushed my skin through my Gi, and
Wham! It felt as though his fist had passed through me! He barely touched me!

Later, on accident, I did something similar to a friend. We were just playing around, when reflex took over and I powered up a hook to his head. Before it landed, I realized what I was about to do and tried to pull it before it nailed him. My knuckles barely touched him. He fell to the floor holding his head! needless to say I appologized very quickly. But it taught us both how to use the technique.

I hope this helps someone.

Kempohands
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kempo, Tatsu-do Karate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excelant article. I would like to add one thing if I may...
Another way a person can increase the pwer in their strikes is to take a different mental approach to striking. One's goal is not to strike their target, it is to strike through their target. When you sincerly have that mentality you will find that your strikes will have more power.
Once again though, very nice article.

Chaz
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: San Soo, Jeet Kune Do, Wu Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thaiboxerken wrote:
I don't agree that large muscles hinder the power of a punch.

I was taught that they can restrict your speed...Am I right?

Chaz
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: San Soo, Jeet Kune Do, Wu Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O! and your flexability...almost forgot...

tkdrocks
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: HO AM Tae Kwon Do (ITA)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In self-defense, we must be able to hit our targets hard. To achieve our goal with our hit: to end the fight. For, we must truly understand and hit with the intent that each attack will end the fight.

I would agree that against the average person on the street, one hard, well placed strike should be the goal to end the fight. However, what happens when you are faced with another skilled fighter that knows how to block or dodge your attack?

Most boxers do not gamble on a single blow, but rely on a setup strategy to get them in position to land that devestating strike. In a similar fashion, when facing a skilled fighter, it is desirable to have a strategy. This is the time that I would be prepared to throw attacks in many regions (Multiple targets). If a fighter is expecting a low kick, that is when I can surprise them with a kick or punch to the head. I would not recommend kicking to the head if you are not accustomed to doing this.

Another aspect to the single blow fight against a skilled fighter is the percent chance of landing. When I am sparring my instructor, I almost never land the first punch or kick that I throw. However, if I double or triple up my attacks in the middle of a combination, my opportunites and resultant percent landing increase dramatically.

I do agree that you should continue hitting until the fight ends. Your article was great. I hope to see more submissions.

Kurazaki
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Article!

I believe strength of a punch (or kick) doesnt' just depend on form itself, but also physical power. I've been trying to put on mass like crazy, but it's really difficult (and expensive) because i happen to be vegetarian, so I have a naturally smaller build. To that end, I can attest that when I kick the bag with the correct form, and then my sempai kicks the bag, the difference in power is sometimes overwhelming. My sempai, is, of course, at least 15 kgs heavier than I am.

However, I have learnt that muscles too big and bulky restrict movement. I had a scenario where I was trying to get one of the juniors to do a normal punch. (The guy was huge)

Scenario :

Me : "When you punch, rub your knuckles against your ribs. This generates more direct power."
Huge Junior : "Okay."
Me : "....."
Huge Junior : "Hey, why can't I do it?"
Me : "I think your wing muscles are in the way."

He walked with his arms stuck out of him at a constant 30 degree due to his wing muscles, so obviously it was impossible to 'rub against his ribs'. He did, however, have a hook (which is illegal in Karate) which stung like a mule's kick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: