Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: A Prospective Students Final And Deciding Question Reply with quote

Would a prospective student that has very little or no MA experience want to be instructed by an 11 time Kata and Weapons champion OR a 5 time Kumite champion?

I know that it'll depend on what the student is looking for, but let's pretend that the above question is that prospective students final and deciding question.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a hard question to answer if we don't consider the prospective student's wants. However, I would imagine that they would go towards the kumite champion.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that we can imagine the prospective students wants in order to assist one to select one or the other. How? By weighing in your wants/needs.

I would say that most would pick the 5 time Kumite champion. Which takes a lot away from the instructor who's an 11 time Kata and Weapons champion.

I suppose it's a personal choice.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I'd say that we can imagine the prospective students wants in order to assist one to select one or the other. How? By weighing in your wants/needs.

I would say that most would pick the 5 time Kumite champion. Which takes a lot away from the instructor who's an 11 time Kata and Weapons champion.

What you said is predominantly correct. Most work pick the Kumite Champ, but what type of Kumite is it? If it was a Knock-down or Daido Juku champ then yes I would look to him for instruction, but

I would pick the Kata and Weapons Champ as far as I could say is that he has understood the ethos of "Shu Ha Ri" unless it is that silly Musical Kata which is just glorified Gymnastics!

GeoGiant
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, I think most new students would gravitate to the Kumite champion however Dobbersky makes a good point.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dobbersky wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

What you said is predominantly correct. Most work pick the Kumite Champ, but what type of Kumite is it? If it was a Knock-down or Daido Juku champ then yes I would look to him for instruction, but

I would pick the Kata and Weapons Champ as far as I could say is that he has understood the ethos of "Shu Ha Ri" unless it is that silly Musical Kata which is just glorified Gymnastics!

Solid post!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say most would gravitate to the Kumite champion because, being beginners, they mostly likely won't understand the significance or challenge of Kata and seeing as most probably want to learn to fight with the Karate they'll be learning, the Kumite champion would seemingly be the person to turn to.

Having said that, few people are going to pick an instructor solely based on what they've won in tournaments. Any serious student is going to be looking at all the other factors; the feel of the class, the teaching style, the ability of the higher grades in the class etc. - everything we all suggest to people who come here looking for advice on which martial art to start. Any student that does get taken in just by the trophies and medals is probably one you wouldn't necessarily want to spend all your efforts on anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: