Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai/ Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: A question on belt testing... Reply with quote

So I found a school i'm interested in...but they said that ALL ranks, only test once per year....something about this strikes me as very odd from my experience....He says his school his kyokushin based, which i'm not familiar with, so is this a normal practice or does this sound scamish?

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't sound scamish to me. That's just the school's schedule. Some do it only twice a year, some have an opportunity every month. It probably is just easier for the Sensei to do it annually.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its totally fine for them to test annually. Most schools will have different testing schedules varying on availability of the location, instructor and number of students to grade.

Sounds like the sensei is being savvy in being able to be cost effective and keep savings for the members.

Also each student will be more effective if you test once a year.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least said Sensei is testing, even though it's once a year.

wagnerk
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, there is nothing wrong with that schedule if done correctly.

However playing devils advocate, does that mean that you can only go up 1 belt at a time? Do they still use the 10 kyu/10 dan system? If so, just to get to the beginning (black belt) it would take 10 years.

I'm not saying that this association is like this (far from it), however without all the information, it's kinda hard to make a snap decision.

Saying that it is based on a certain style, imo, doesn't really mean a great deal, for instance...

Kyokushin based on/from Shotokan and Goju Ryu, but then again so is GKR karate - it's all about the implementation

kensei
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most schools that do a once a year testing do two to four rankings at one time. So you show up a white belt and a year later you are a Green belt...after one test. Its not unusual if the instructor is not licenced to test people at all and has to bring out an instructor yearly to do so.

However, I have to say that this totally misses the point of ranking for sure. Kyu testing is simply an understanding of what you understand of the BASICS. after all Shodan is not an Elite level, or should not be seen as such. Its the pure basic understanding of BASIC Karate. Thus a Shodan (Being "First step") understands the basics...if you dont understand the basics in three years...get a new instructor!

The thing with yearly testing is that you either A) Test for multiple levels or B) drop to a White, brown, Black belt system like the old days!

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai/ Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kensei wrote:
Most schools that do a once a year testing do two to four rankings at one time. So you show up a white belt and a year later you are a Green belt...after one test. Its not unusual if the instructor is not licenced to test people at all and has to bring out an instructor yearly to do so.

However, I have to say that this totally misses the point of ranking for sure. Kyu testing is simply an understanding of what you understand of the BASICS. after all Shodan is not an Elite level, or should not be seen as such. Its the pure basic understanding of BASIC Karate. Thus a Shodan (Being "First step") understands the basics...if you dont understand the basics in three years...get a new instructor!

The thing with yearly testing is that you either A) Test for multiple levels or B) drop to a White, brown, Black belt system like the old days!

That's what i'm thinking...see the whole thing that struck me as "scamish" because i"m thinking they're gonna have ten belts, and you only can progress one belt a year just sounds very odd to me. I'm gonna talk to the teacher directly and get more information, I just never heard of this practice before which sounded odd to me.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrissyp wrote:
kensei wrote:

That's what i'm thinking...see the whole thing that struck me as "scamish" because i"m thinking they're gonna have ten belts, and you only can progress one belt a year just sounds very odd to me. I'm gonna talk to the teacher directly and get more information, I just never heard of this practice before which sounded odd to me.

With respect, the best person to clarify the statement is the head instructor. Are you even sure they have 10 belts. And why is it so important to you to test more often. If your goal is to earn a black belt, wouldn't you be more comfortable knowing you actually worked hard and devoted alot of time to it? 10 years to black belt is normal in my mind. But some Kyokushin only has 5 or 6 ranks. At least you know you're going to train in a school that is clearly not a belt factory or McDojo.

devil dog
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu, Goju Ryu, Kobudo Judo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really up to the individual school how often you test but that does not denote a scam.
We test (if the student is ready ) every three to four months but that does not guarantee that you will be tested. The beginner ranks go quickly and can test every three months but the intermediate ranks are tested 4 to 6 months apart and it depends on the students drive and ability how fast they test.
When I was a kid a lot more was required for each grade but there were fewer grades (only 6) now there are 8 kyu grades and the curriculum is more spread out. This school may only have a few kyu grades and it would be like studying for two grades instead of one. Other arts may take longer to get to shodan. Instead of 5 years it may take 7.
Talk to the instructor before writing them off. Anything worth learning is worth learning well. It may take longer but think of how much more proficient you'll be and how much more prepared you'll be for the test.

unknownstyle
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu and Uechi Ryu

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also do your research into the credentials of the instructor. not saying he is bad but if he isn't able to promote peipke find out why.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: