Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

Now my round kick chambers all come pretty much from the table top chamber.

I have three methods for the roundhouse. One is tabletop style kick where I chamber straight away and really only kick using the extension of the lower leg. Not really a powerful kick but more a quick kick for setting up other techniques. The 2nd method is very similar and uses the tabletop style chamber but I bring it in from the side and then extend. Or the other one I use is more like a Brazilian kick. The tabletop where I rotate in is more powerful for me but because it comes around and in it's easier to intercept.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Brazilian kick is interesting. I remember seeing that video a while back. I'm not sure I have the flexibility to it that way. But I did subscribe to that guys channel, so I'll have more ideas for kicking workouts.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a way it's sort of analogous to the side kick where you go with the front kick chamber. Maybe worth experimenting with if you prefer that side kick because the start position is nearly the same. Don't have to be that flexible for it. It works well at hip level or on the thigh. Advantage is that because it comes down onto the target, you can really slam it down onto the hip or leg to incapacitate them.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like what I see there. When it comes to the round kick, I just don't have as much trouble achieving that chamber position as I do the side kick, because I don't have to try to line up the heel with the target. But, I will play with different variations of the round kick, for sure.

I could even do a "Round Kick Class" article with just what we have there; table top, Brazilian kick method, 45 degree angle kicks, and all that is before even adding in stepping actions!

Isn't it a funny twist how we've gone from discussing side kicks to now discussing round kicks?....but that's why I love it here!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I do like what I see there. When it comes to the round kick, I just don't have as much trouble achieving that chamber position as I do the side kick, because I don't have to try to line up the heel with the target. But, I will play with different variations of the round kick, for sure.

I could even do a "Round Kick Class" article with just what we have there; table top, Brazilian kick method, 45 degree angle kicks, and all that is before even adding in stepping actions!

It is a great kick, very versatile too!

What kind of striking tool are you using mainly? ball of the foot, instep, shin? I'm supposed to really use the instep for (competition) sparring but I do use the ball of the foot sometimes and have been trying to work on the shin version too so that if someone steps in, I can switch the focus and hit them with the shin instead.

bushido_man96 wrote:
Isn't it a funny twist how we've gone from discussing side kicks to now discussing round kicks?....but that's why I love it here!

Me too If I started on about side kicks and roundhouses at home I'd get told to shut up and go away

Well we might as well carry on, what other kicks do you use loads of?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for round kick tool, its usually the instep for sparring, but forms and board breaking are the ball of the foot. I have broken a few times with the instep, though.

It is great being able to just rattle on about kicks like this.

Lets talk spin hook kick vs spin heel kick now. What's your preference there?

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed with the instep break! That's one I have no inclination to try at the moment!!! When I was at my last grading, there was a guy going for his 4th dan (or maybe 5th) and he chose to do an instep kick on this inch thick piece of hardwood. Looked like a chopping block to me! He broke it as well but had this massive egg shaped lump on his foot afterwards.

bushido_man96 wrote:
Lets talk spin hook kick vs spin heel kick now. What's your preference there?

I don't use them a great deal; I'm a bit more limited in terms of flexibility to be good at them. Out of the two I'd use the spin heel kick (although we call it the reverse turning). For sparring, I'll mainly use it when countering a side kick or something like that and land it upper chest, or the face if I can reach. Usually with the flat of the foot as it gives you a tiny bit more length to the kick but I wouldn't be adverse to dropping the heel on someone's chest.

In terms of how I do the kick, I spin most of the way around before picking the leg up. It'll be more or less straight and then I'll use the hip to whip it round the last little bit.

Hook kick is largely the same but there'll be a little less rigidity to my leg and I'll let the momentum start the hooking part and them speed it up at the end.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do a hook kick a lot in my ATA days. Now, in the TTA, we do more spin heel kicks, but I am resurrecting my hook kick.

In regards to the side kicks, here is a short vid I shot today to try to clear up any confusion between the styles and how I am talking about them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFLHyCKGMGQ&feature=plcp

Same setup for each of the ways to kick. Hope this helps clarify. The sound may not be great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: