Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Bob.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoriKid wrote:
Congratulations sir! I've been watching the forum like a hawk for word of how this went and asked my brother yesterday at the start of class if he'd seen any news. I'm glad it's over for you, the constant pressure from your board. I look forward to hearing what sorts of things a a Kudan has to do to pass a test. Again, congratulations sir.

Thank you so very much!!

Normally a Kudan DOESN'T test per say in front of a testing cycle panel. Usually the governing body bestows Kudan and Judan for whatever reasons the governing body deems appropriate as well as the improved betterment of the individual over a long, long time.

My Dai-Soke was awarded his Kudan by our Soke when our Soke promoted Dai-Soke from Chief Instructor to Kaicho. No tests, nothing!! Soke held a ceremony...awarded Dai-Soke his Kudan, as it's written in our By-Laws.

I'll be posting my entire testing requirements sometime this weekend.

Now, I'll never accept Judan...EVER!! Even though it's written in our By-Laws that the current Soke type MUST be promoted to Judan. Well, we've taken care of that by eliminating the Soke type all together; NO SOKE TYPES permitted, and that's been amended in our By-Laws.

I was kidding with Greg just two nights ago, telling him that I think he needs to be a Kudan too. After all, Greg's our Kancho!! Greg chuckled and then threw the book he was reading at me...then told me to shut up and don't start anything!! I snickered as I went back to my office.

Last edited by sensei8 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
Congrats Bob.

Thank you so very much Patrick!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, here's my general Kudan testing requirements!

General Requirements

1> Unquestioned moral character and maturity
2> Continued practice and involvement in Shindokan Saitou-ryu Karate & Kobudo
3> Mastery of principles and philosophy of Shindokan Saitou-ryu Karate & Kobudo
4> Substantial contributions to Shindokan Saitou-ryu Karate & Kobudo
5> Unanamous recommendations of both the Administration AND Executive Departments to the Testing Department

Day #1

Kihon
Tamashiwara

Day #2

A) Kata~
Bunkai/Oyo
B) Kobudo~
Bunkai/Oyo

Day #3

Kumite
Tuite
Kyusho-jitsu
3-hour Q&A
Submission of Thesis: "Define The Betterment Of Shindokan"

This is the general outline of what I endured for 3 days. The requirements might not look like much at its face value, but I was on the floor just over 10 hours each day; quite in depth. To list the nomenclature of the requirements would take quite a lot to read if I was to list each and every single requirement. Hence, I've listed the requirements in general.

I do believe that Dai-Soke would've commended the requirements across the board...and...he would've smiled a smile, no matter if it was just a slight smile.

I don't think that any style of the MA tests thier Kudan's, however, I requested this because I wasn't going to accept that rank EVER, unless, at my suggestion, the Hombu tests me for that rank and the test better warrant a test of unbelievable porportions. I believe they succeeded at just that!!

Greg, during our Kumite session was new for us. How? Greg literally tried to kill me. I ended up having a badly bruised up right foot and I received a muscle strain on my left chest. I've never seen that from Greg before, but I'm glad he was in form across the board. PAYBACK Greg...I always get a turn!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big congratulations, Bob! Way to go!

ShotokanGage
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's amazing, sensei8. I can't imagine the standard you must be at to have achieved such a rank, and after such a rigorous testing process. Truly, an inspiration.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Bob, a pinnacle to a Life's Work!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank each and everyone of you for your kind and supportive words!!

When you look at the testing cycle for my Kudan, and you see, for example, Kihon, not only did I have to execute flawless each teachnique, I had to demonstrate every possible effective application to that said technique. It was not the fact that I knew the technique, but I also knew it's many possible applications across the board. To throw a technique without understanding it in its totality is meaningless; discovery of the unforseen is always just over the horizon.

So, the three K's, the Kobudo, etc, were much more than what I posted as general requirements.

NO MORE FORMAL TESTING FOR ME...EVER!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been about 3 weeks since earning Kudan, and as of yet, I've still not hung up my Kudan certificate, no, I put it inside my safe deposit box at the bank I bank with. That's where it'll stay for the time being!!

I've still not worn my new Kudan obi as of yet either. It's a beautiful belt!! No, that's now sitting on a book shelf in my bedroom.

Am I ashamed of them both? No! Not even close. But, it'll take me a little bit before I hang or wear either of them because, and I don't expect anybody to understand this, any promotion I've ever received had always been from my Dai-Soke. This Kudan wasn't from my Dai-Soke!! I know, I know, I know...but I need a little more time for whatever reason I might or might not have.

For now, it's a personal and private choice that the Hombu is going to have to accept, not that they've been inquiring about either of them. I'm sure they're wondering about the whole darn thing themselves. I've seen the raising of an eyebrow or two. To be honest, the only ones that have asked me about either are some of the kids at either location.

I might not ever wear the Kudan obi, and I might not ever hang up the Kudan cert; let me absorb the reality of the whole thing, no matter how long it might or might not take me.

Yes, if Dai-Soke had awarded them himself, yes, I'd already hung them and I would've already wrapped it around my waist. Wouldn't have even let the sun set before I did either of them.

Why is this different? I just don't know and I just don't want to be rushed into doing either, which, imho, is my choice and my right, not the Hombu!! My loyalty to my Dai-Soke will never lessen!!

The powers that be at the Hombu did an amazing testing cycle for my Kudan. I respect and love them with all of my heart and soul. I'm now Kudan, but right now, I don't feel like a Kudan. I've only my Dai-Soke to compare with and I don't even hold a candle to him; not even close!!

If not soon, I will wear it during our next annual testing cycle at the Hombu because formality requires it. Having said that, I'll see how I feel then.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure your sensei would have wanted you to go for your promotion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: