Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know whether to laugh or be really ticked-off..., unbelievable

-Unknown-

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracing IP's Tim, kind of wrong ain't it?

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Also, I don't see why it would be. Looking at the IP's of the posters, doesn't do or affect anything at all. I haven't had a reason to yet for abuse issues or whatever -- and it wouldn't have been a big deal to not to look in this case -- but just out of curiosity to see. I thought it was relevant. Other people might disagree, but that does surely dismiss the stories we've heard. Looking at the IP doesn't mean anything at all. I think a lot of people are confused about what IP's are, mean or can be used for. In fact, IP's mean abosolutely nothing, so it's odd that they aren't just shown to everyone.

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Kato
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim it is always good to separate the cranks from those that are actualy trying to cary the discussion forward. As for posting IP's I think it would be a good idea, the old Kickboxing.com message board did and it helped to identify those that were causing problems. I have to say that the kind of nonsence posted above anoys me simply because it gives people who want to learn about and investigate things related to Chi a bad name and makes people want to avoid the whole topic when there are some genuine avenues of study in this area that merit investigation.

This Message was edited by: Kato on Aug 1, 2001 6:18pm

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify for people interested...

Moderators (as well as myself) have the access to view the IP that is associated with a specific post. This feature is not abused and is used as a method to keep the forums secure and well maintained. However, IPs are sometimes not really of any help and although there was a slight resemblence in this IP, it is nothing that can be said is "certain."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. You can't get any information about anyone from an IP or really use it for anything. And, as Patrick said, it's not "certain". Both these posters were on AOL, and that's a large ISP. However, two new posters, being this is the only forum and only thread they commented in, saying the same things, typing the same exact way -- and knowing about and participating in this exact forum and thread, knowing it's there and not any other forums did they participate in, pretty much says that it's the same person to me. The IP's aren't exact, because of how IP's on AOL vary and alternate. There's never any definites, even with the same IP, but I personally don't question it being the same person based on all those aspects.

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

ChangWuJi
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I participate in other forums such as http://www.jetli.com

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Chi can work to direct the body and mind's energy to do something, but walking on water, fireballs... please spare us

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IP's can be important to some programs. Look up a program called BackOrfice and see how it works. Oh, by the way, you won't find it in any major stores. It is a hacker program.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

ChangWuJi
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-08-03 03:58, Jack wrote:
I believe Chi can work to direct the body and mind's energy to do something, but walking on water, fireballs... please spare us

They had a demonstration on tv of a guy who aused fire from his hands using chi.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: