Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have most of my belt certificates kept in a notebook. There are some things that I have framed, usually because it was given to me that way. All my old trophies are down in my basement, and my belt is actually still at the gym where my usual locker is (forgot all about it being there). If I ever get my basement cleaned and organized and halfway finished, I might hang some of that stuff down there.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modesty and remaining humble about skills, knowledge and achievements is a cultural value that applies to everything. Displaying certificates and other such things only goes against these principles if said objects are put somewhere where anybody will see them. If they are just neatly organized in a designated area at home where nobody will see them unless they request it, it could not be called vanity.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not the type to display awards, trophies or other such things. I would not feel comfortable doing so. I am also not one who seeks to be the center of attention. I keep my college degrees, certificates, and awards in boxes. I am pretty sure some of my stuff is still at my parents. I can understand from a marketing perspective because a dojo is also a business. I would even feel comfortable with promoting a students achievement because it is expressing pride in them.

But, I am not in the position of marketing my skills or services either.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My martial art skill at this present time is my personal best.

I don't use or depend on past glorys for marketing porpoises, I don't hold it against anyone that needs to or does.

I've lost my certificates and trophys over time; what matters for me is my skill level at this very second and how I can improve the next second in my martial at journey.

My martial art skills have changed dramatically from one decade to the next, having practiced the major Asian martial art styles, I wouldn't know where one style starts and the other ends.

I don't hang certificates on walls or display trophys and or place pictures of Sifus or Senseis for marketing or decorating.

Martial arts has changed considerably over the last forty years, heck the last ten years alone would be enough!

Perhaps chasing a carrot black belt isn't for me, neither a master behind me with a stick to propel me forward isn't motivationally enough either.

My martial art motivation comes from within from simply practicing and continually learning new skills.

Wearing decorative martial art clothing with emblems and decals or colored belts with stripes or bands is akin to decorating weapons ornately; something I believe to be wrong.

A car, a house, a title also a wife in my case could be considered trophies; a year with complete health is worth celebrating and not paper certificates and plastic trophies; In my humble opinion.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:

I don't use or depend on past glorys for marketing porpoises, I don't hold it against anyone that needs to or does.

I've lost my certificates and trophys over time; what matters for me is my skill level at this very second and how I can improve the next second in my martial at journey.

My martial art skills have changed dramatically from one decade to the next, having practiced the major Asian martial art styles, I wouldn't know where one style starts and the other ends.

I don't hang certificates on walls or display trophys and or place pictures of Sifus or Senseis for marketing or decorating.

Martial arts has changed considerably over the last forty years, heck the last ten years alone would be enough!

Perhaps chasing a carrot black belt isn't for me, neither a master behind me with a stick to propel me forward isn't motivationally enough either.

My martial art motivation comes from within from simply practicing and continually learning new skills.

Wearing decorative martial art clothing with emblems and decals or colored belts with stripes or bands is akin to decorating weapons ornately; something I believe to be wrong.

A car, a house, a title also a wife in my case could be considered trophies; a year with complete health is worth celebrating and not paper certificates and plastic trophies; In my humble opinion.

To the bold above. I absolutely understand where you are coming from with displays of achievements but I must point out that, at least for me and my peer's, the pictures of those that came before us is not used as marketing or as decoration but rather as respect for them and their teachings. It's a remembrance of their contributions and a thank you for the art that was handed down to us. A sign of respect.

I know you did not mean it this way but I felt compelled to interject this for those that might not yet understand why the founders and those that came before in the lineage line are hanging on the Dojo wall. I did not want young Mudansha to get the impression that they hang there only as a means of promotion, marketing, or as mere decoration to fill space.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:

To the bold above. I absolutely understand where you are coming from with displays of achievements but I must point out that, at least for me and my peer's, the pictures of those that came before us is not used as marketing or as decoration but rather as respect for them and their teachings. It's a remembrance of their contributions and a thank you for the art that was handed down to us. A sign of respect.

I know you did not mean it this way but I felt compelled to interject this for those that might not yet understand why the founders and those that came before in the lineage line are hanging on the Dojo wall. I did not want young Mudansha to get the impression that they hang there only as a means of promotion, marketing, or as mere decoration to fill space.

I wholeheartedly concur!!

That personal choice should be respected, even if it's not liked, for whatever the reason(s). I use to hang those pictures of respect until that one day...Christ is the only picture I have on my dojo wall...dead center at the Shomen.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually the reason why a dojo has photos or portraits is to show or illustrate lineage. In Japanese and Okinawan dojos a sensei will have at the very least a picture of the founder and one of their own sensei. New students do not know who the photos are, so advertising is not really the point. They become useful when the instructors has to give an explanation of what they teach and from whom and where it originated.

Sort of like introducing one's family. Of course in some dojos this is taken to a level which may appear like a personality cult. It depends on whoever is in charge of the dojo. Some have huge poster sized portraits all over and others are very modest with only a small desktop sized frame tucked away somewhere or at the front. Too many can be distracting, though
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: