Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you think the advantages are? apart from being practically silent what else.

jakmak52
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: ITF TKD (Chang Hon) & Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No links to bind up...

Peace

http://community.webshots.com/user/jakmak521

Ti-Kwon-Leap
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I prefer the corded ones because they are not only silent, but smooth. There is nothing quite like the sound of nunchaku whistling through the air without all that obnoxious chain noise and clunking.
It is easier to feel like the nunchaku is an extension of your arms when they are quiet and smooth.

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan to use it against another weapon, there are no advantages. Need chain for that. Not the cheap short linked chucks available on the mass market, but long 11+link chucks designed for fighting. The chucks nowadays are designed purely for show. That's why the chain or cord is so short.
Links, done right, don't bind up either. I've been doing nunchuks for about 15 years. I started with chain. I've dabbled in cord, and I still stick with chain.

IF, however, you're into competitions and the like, then cord is nicer. But for fighting, it's gotta be chain.

Ti-Kwon-Leap
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nunchaku that I have by my bedside are octagonal oak with a nylon cord (the cord being the width of the back of my hand.
The reason for this length is that you can trap and control an assailant's arm, leg or baseball bat without having to cross your arms.
However, if someone decides to give me the ol' surprise visit brandishing a samurai sword,
I guess I'll be wishing I had bought the autographed "Bruce Lee" chucks.
I suppose that 11+ links would come in handy for spanning the expanse of an attacker's fat skull...

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow Ti-Kwon-Leap i have octaganal oak with nylon cord 'chucks by my bed to!!!! (well kinda under my pillow)

Ti-Kwon-Leap
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And like me you love Minor Threat...
It's like we are in paralell universes...

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-27 03:26, Ti-Kwon-Leap wrote:
The nunchaku that I have by my bedside are octagonal oak with a nylon cord (the cord being the width of the back of my hand.
The reason for this length is that you can trap and control an assailant's arm, leg or baseball bat without having to cross your arms.
However, if someone decides to give me the ol' surprise visit brandishing a samurai sword,
I guess I'll be wishing I had bought the autographed "Bruce Lee" chucks.
I suppose that 11+ links would come in handy for spanning the expanse of an attacker's fat skull...

I have used nunchuks in a fight before. Those short cord chucks don't wrap around and allow you to grab anything. Not unless the assailant is just standing there letting you grab him.

You don't need to be attacked by a sword to appreciate chain links. A knife, or bat, or any weapon for that matter. A chain sure does a better job of joking your opponent or crushing bones in the hands/forearm. It also does wonders if your opponent gets his fingers locked up in them.

11-12 links is perfect, if you use the small links that come on commercially available nunchuks. The links should range from 7 1/2 to 9 inches. If you use larger links, 9 links total, or around seven visible.

Use anything less and you're setting yourself up for some mishaps. Sure, the chucks swing nice and everything with shorter links, but that's just a false sense of security. If you try to wrap a short cord/chain chuck around a baseball bat you'll have a hard time getting control over it (unless you wrap around the grip part)

Hey, then again, it all boils down to what you're going to do with the nunchuks. Demos and shows, display and fantasy a short cord/chain is fine. It doesn't really matter what length if that's what you do. If you think you'll use them in a fight you'll want the longer CHAIN. Try sparring against someone with a shinai, kali sticks, or any other distance weapon using a short cord and you'll quickly wish you had a longer cord. Imagine that fight real and you'll want chain without question.

If your opponent is unarmed, then it would be pretty pointless to try and trap their arm with the chuck instead of just hitting them.

Nunchuks are sold with a short cord/chain because it makes them easier to use in demonstrations. Traditional nunchuks, those used in battle, have always had longer chains. There is a reason for that. Think about it.

I suppose you can do what you want. I'm just giving the best advice I can from experience. Just trying to help.

The_Clubbers_Mythology
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i am not mistaken, Nunchaku are originally short corded. as they become the length of your arm and the nunchaku combined to create a very long range weapon. why would you want a silent pair of nunchaku in the first place? a pre-emptive attack would more than likely be from behind with a choak to the throat, where the short cord becomes effecive. the only weapon i can think of that is universal and very effective is the Bo, correct me if i am wrong, but after talking to some very respected Kobudo instructors over here in england, they all agree that nunchaku are originally short corded as they were used as a farming impliment. so why would they have a long cord?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just come back from a date with a girl I will never see again, so I'm pretty disapointed (to an extent - shes french!!!!!). I arrive home to check out the weapons section only to find a very 'interesting' thread about nunchaku. I'll try to keep my anger to a minimum -after all, let's save the heated discussions for e-budo.com

I don't want to start an arguement (well, i do actually, I just can't be bothered), but it seems to me that you are talking about the modern version of nunchaku. Traditionally, metal was not available, so chord was used. To say that tradition nunchaku were designed with chain for combat is a laughing matter.

The chord is short for moves such as san kaku-jime. Try and wrap a long chain around a bandits neck (in the older days) and you would have been killed before you have it locked on!

May I ask when style of nunchaku you practice - japanese or okinawan (or do you just swing them about wildly) I know that you must practice either japanese or okinawan because the other countries didn't call them nunchaku.

You have confused me to no end, so please, shed some light on that ridiculous drivel you posted.

Cheers

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: