Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Advice to someone just about to start their MA journey Reply with quote

So this is really a question for those who are already training but I thought it would make for good discussion and provide some advice for Martial Arts newcomers:

What is the one piece of advice you would give to someone who was just about to start out on their martial arts journey?

What do you wish someone had told you right at the beginning?

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find someone who knows the martial art really well. should ask the head instructor lots of questions about what the MA and the organization.

I wish someone told me to question the instructors actions and past.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't join the first class you come across.
If a deal sounds too good to be true; it usually is.
Don't sign any contract and defiantly no disclaimers.
Make sure that there are no hidden payments, ask for a comprehensive breakdown of all fees to be paid.
Don't buy anything in equipment or uniform for at least 3 months.
Check the Sensei's qualification; ask who HIS sensei is!
Ask to sit and watch a class.
If it sounds like Ameridote, go for the door!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
Don't join the first class you come across.
If a deal sounds too good to be true; it usually is.
Don't sign any contract and defiantly no disclaimers.
Make sure that there are no hidden payments, ask for a comprehensive breakdown of all fees to be paid.
Don't buy anything in equipment or uniform for at least 3 months.
Check the Sensei's qualification; ask who HIS sensei is!
Ask to sit and watch a class.
If it sounds like Ameridote, go for the door!

Unfortunately my former school and current school require a gi to be worn from the 1st class. but you get to keep it even if it was for one class and you didn't like it. We have no alternate uniform.

Otherwise the only other equipment they buy is a set of mits and pads (+ groin guard and mouth guard) which isn't until their yellow belt (9th kyu).

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and you only pay $35 total for the first 3 lessons and includes the GI and also insurance for those lessons. On the 3rd they sit down with you to see if you want to join up or not

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I tell you a secret?

No student of martial arts in the UK needs insurance form the association until they are 16.

They should automatically be covered by the instructor's insurance, with no exception. It is because, as a minor they have no legal liability, the instructor and guardians are responsible for them. So when the Sensei asks for an insurance payment for a 10 year old - it's fraud.

Our juniors don't do free sparring until they are a Dan grade. Our adults don't spar freely until they are 5th Kyu either; so they don't need sparring gear for at least a year.

I know of associations here that have never payed out insurance, and never will; so the money is just an additional fee. Our association asks £10 a year for administration and legal costs if any claim was made.

Cost of gradings or tests are also an issue that people are not aware of. Some schools can charge as much as £100 for a Dan grade for a child, and this is with only his own instructor present. We have a panel of 3 at least, and they will be the association's Head Examiners.

There are many factors to consider, but if you are happy, you can afford it and you gain from it, then it can't be bad. Go for it!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are covered by our instructors insurance but for some reason (because insurance companies are just cheats to MA's maybe?) They charge extra to us to add extra numbers more. as they all say that if you want x students you pay $y and if you have more than that you will pay $x. And my sensei is in the process now of getting it sorted properly.

My issue with junior students not sparring till they are a Dan grade is that they Arent really learning what it is like to be hit and to overcome that fear of being hit also. I do understand why most do it (no sparring till Dan grades)

Our students start sparring at 9th kyu but it is soft and slow ONLY. so they have to have a flow to it without the hard contact. but introduce point sparring at green or purple. and light sparring (thigh kicks, foot sweeps, takedowns, throws etc are allowed in this only) at brown (2nd kyu and up)

When people sign up they get a comprehensive breakdown of what they are paying for at the different membership options. mostly it is just how long each one lasts for.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our systems aren't that different. The sparring that is meant for junior Dan grades and adult 5th Kyus is continuous free sparring with dipped foam head guards, tags, boots and shins. It is not quite full contact but students, especially juniors take a while to build up to it. Going to the expense of buying the gear too soon is something we do not ask. The school doesn't ask students to buy weapons that they never get to use either. The idea is for students and their families to spend as little as possible.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice to someone just about to start their MA journey Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
What is the one piece of advice you would give to someone who was just about to start out on their martial arts journey?

What is your goal? Do you want to learn self-defense, or to compete, etc? You need to know, so that you can figure out what choice in your area is going to give you the most of what you want.

Quote:

That ground fighting is valuable, and you should have stuck with Wrestling...

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice to someone just about to start their MA journey Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
So this is really a question for those who are already training but I thought it would make for good discussion and provide some advice for Martial Arts newcomers:

Great questions. If there's one thing that I can think of that kind of goes along with both it would be a two part deal: First, really honestly ask yourself why you want to do the arts. That's gonna solve a lot of issues down the road and make part two easier. Second, have fun with the training you're doing. Love the art.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: