Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, during my 5th Kyu Taekwondo grading on Saturday, we had the Self Defence section. I didn't do too badly, and since we are allowed to 'do anything that works' and be marked on that, and also since I am reaching the sort of level where Practitioners are allowed to explore their own methods and try things out, I would most definitely be interested in getting some suggestions from Judoka into some of the throws, trips, locks, and chokes you do from the following four attacks:

1) Front Punch
2) Shoulder grab (Their left hand on your right shoulder)
3) Neck Grab (Both hands strangle around neck)
4) Stranglehold aka. Tight headlock from the side, their feet infront of yours

So far we've done some pretty standard, not particularly impressive moves but I'd definitely like to give a shot at some more impressive moves to get higher marks

I was thinking perhaps using an Ogoshi or Uki Goshi for the Neck Grab? Any sort of input here would be valuable

Then again, since I don't learn Judo, merely have a website with animations and explanations of moves, some of the more simple moves would be good... heck if I could get a Hip Throw from any of those above situations I would jump at the chance, just let me know

Thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about chin na? If someone is behind you with their right hand on your right shoulder you clamp their hand to shoulder with your left hand across the chest and then with your elbow you turn and apply pressure to their grabbing arm. Try it.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe Joe, sounds interesting and might give it a go with my Ju Jitsu friend, thanks for the suggestion, but I should have clarified the Shoulder Grab more. Its a grab with them standing directly infront of you, with their left hand on your right shoulder. If there is someway of getting this into a Hip Throw, it would be great. I'll practice it at the weekend, but any other ideas guys?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allright the neck grab. Rest both of your forearms perpendicular to theirs. Squeeze to bring their arms to your chest. This will break the hold but now you have to do something with them. With the arms still clamped step backwards and turn sharply. This will bring them to the ground.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try that one out, thanks Joe

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I was about to go to bed last night, when I got one of my "Martial Arts Brainstorms" so I got redressed quickly, ran downstairs, got out a notepad and a pencil and started scribbling things down. So, what do you think about the following moves?

Front Punch

B starts left step back, and steps in with left foot while launching a Front Punch with left arm. A grabs onto B's striking arm with Left hand, and steps under and behind B, now holding his arm in a lock behind his back while facing B's back. Finally, A crosses his left leg behind his right leg, and "clotheslines" B with his right arm while straightening the knees and hips. B should land in front of A. A kneels down and delivers a Spearhand Thrust to B's neck, before standing up and withdrawing.

hehe, bit long and probably explained very poorly there!

Shoulder Grab

B steps in with left leg and grabs A's right shoulder with his left hand. A steps in with right leg, wraps right arm around B's waist and grabs B's right shoulder with his left hand. A then crosses left leg behind right, bends knees, and then straightens hips and knees to perform a hip throw on B.

Neck Grab

What Joecooke007 said, if not then perhaps trying to perform some kind of hip or shoulder throw after the initial pinning their arms to your chest.

Stranglehold

B is on left side, slightly infront of A, with both arms wrapped around A's neck. A brings his left arm into chest and pulls back his left leg, before striking arm backwards and swinging legs forwards, providing a sort of lever action to knock B onto his back.

Let me know what you think!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: