Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you all think that age in martial arts makes a big difference. I am 15 and my sensei tells me to teach the adult classes. It feels like i am being ridiculed for being a teenager and it really bugs me because I feel that all the lower ranks disrespect me just because i am a youth. Some people don't even pay attention to me. I have given push-ups for people not paying attention, but they keep disrespectiong me, any suggestions?

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Dojo has a policy of all instructors must be Sandan and thats at least 10 years training before they teach. Also you must be at least 18 to get Shodan.

So really you cant teach until you are 28 or older.

I think its important to have a high degree of knowledge and experience to teach. Its not predudicial, its just safe.

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::edit::

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total

username237
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at my old club my sensei used to get me teaching when i was only 10years old...no word of a lie! He was crap and i left there coz he bullied me. Even though he shouldnt have really got me teaching at that age, I was never listened to. I was a 3rd kyu and no-one ever took me seriously ESPECIALLY the men for some reason! When they didnt take me seriously i gave them press ups which annoyed them even more, i think it hurt their pride. I dont think it is right for people as young as that to teach but it did learn me a thing or two about discipline.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can come at this from two directions now.

A number of years ago, when I was still a colored belt, there were two very talented teenage guys that were black belts in my school. The school master was very careful to teach them how to teach. And, while they didn't really RUN the class, they did lead the class on a number of occations. None of us adult under belts had a problem with this. Mainly because we could see the Master had respect for these boys, and the boys showed us respect as well. The simple fact was, while I might have more LIFE experience, we weren't there to learn about life. They knew more of the MAs, and that's what I wanted to learn.

I am now about 10 years down the road, and a 2nd degree. In the school I train in now, there is a teenage girl black belt that the school owner sometimes depends on to lead class. I try my best to encourage her, and show all the under belt students that she has my confidence and respect.

How well do you feel your school owner shows the students that you have his confidence? Have you tried talking to him about your dilema?

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had very similar situation at our school too KSN Doug and I am in total agreement with you on your thoughts on the subject.

I have to laugh (wasn't very funny at moment though!)

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-02-01 08:45 ]

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have gotten pretty mad if there was a young person trying to make everyone do things he can't! I have talked to my instructor about changing my assisting class to a children's class. He said that I was one of the most mature teenagers at the dojo and i work really hard, and he says he is giving me a privelage. PRIVELAGE!!! I'm being disrespected my underranks for being younger. I really don't blame the underranks for this, I just want to teach a different class.

ZR440
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Filipino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I participated in a similar situation during my last test when a female black belt was chosen to run the show. She was hard to understand and not very confident, but we did what she instructed because we all know that any disrespect would mean dismissal from the class. Perhaps instructors need to make this more clear to their students.

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't be training in the first place. Your school should have a course that allows people to learn how to train people. You should also be at least 18. In TKD you cant even get an official black belt until you are over 16. If you are a commanding presence, with authority then people will listen to you. If you are a kid with a whiney voice and no authority do you think that adults will listen to you?

I would decline the teaching position if I were you. Your not paying your school to teach other people are you? Your paying your school to recieve teachings.

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my class our rules are much more strict. You disrespect sensei you are out of the class for the day. the next time it's two classes. And so on. Respect is key in ma classes.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: