Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Roc
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my dojo we also have junior black belts and I believe that that is good way of doing things as well.

[ This Message was edited by: Roc on 2002-06-11 08:03 ]

Chris from CT
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Jung Ki Hapkido, Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On 2002-03-05 12:46, Karateka wrote:
Why is it that people have been sworn to look at skill with rank? A white belt may be better than any black belt you have ever met!

That's a good question because at one point rank was determined by skill. Now, with all the unqualified and/or money hungry people out there teaching the martial arts it has turned into a way to get and retain students.

Some people say that black belts don't mean anything. I believe they still have meaning to the holder. What is a belt? A piece of fabric that someone gives you after you have learned a set number of skills or tasks set by a specific teacher. That doesn't make it worthless, but knowing that some teachers give them out just to keep motivation high does make it worthless as far as determining skill level. This is why some black belts get there rear ends handed to them by lower ranks.

Having your belt should mean something to yourself. It realy has no bearing on someone else. Just because I am "such & such" rank shouldn't impress anyone. Who knows what I went through to get it. I may have been training for eight years and had a three day test with physical, mental and written sections or I could have had a physical one hour test. If you feel that you have earned it, that is what's imoportant, but don't think that it will impress anyone else. If it does, they just don't know any better because they haven't been there "yet".

If someone takes thier belt off, no matter what rank, and puts on a blue belt, do they still possess the same amount of skill as before? Of course they do. Their skill goes no higher or lower because of the belt they are wearing. This is what people need to realize when receiving any belt. Putting on a belt doesn't change a person, the training and your experience does.

Take care

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

Northren Ogre
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my belief that handing out black belts to youngsters results in things like "3 Ninjas" movies.........

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an adult who came to our class. He had the suit, and he had the belt. He walked in and started talking all about the Martial Arts he had done, and everyone came to him to see what he could show us. My Sensei, Sempai and I were suspicious. Then a white belt came in, rather ordinary looking, but something about him was strange. It was a rather confident walk, not arrogant, just confident.

We were doing are sparring, and the black belt decided to try this white belt on for size. We didn't use the Tournament rules, just free sparring. In no time at all, the white belt was wiping the floor with this black belt. It was hilarious. We later found out that the "white belt" really was a brown belt from Europe, and he came in a white belt to show respect to our Sensei, so that our Sensei could tell him if he could wear his rank. The black belt got his belt in Kickboxing, and thought he knew how to do Karate. We haven't seen him back since.

I used to judge by belt. That one lesson changed my outlook about Martial Arts. Its not the belt, its who is wearing it.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always equated belt color or rank with tenure (the amount of time the person has studied their particular martial art). I don't view it necessarily as the amount of skill a person has but if you have been taking the amount of classes necessary for you to rank black belt than I would imagine you would have the skill and ability of a black belt. (only in a perfect world I imagine )

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't allowed to test for my blackbelt until I was 18. In my eyes that is a good age. 16 would be the youngest I would promote someone. Any earlier I would only give a junior blackbelt which would be a blackbelt with a white stripe. When that person reached 16-18 they would be able to test for their true blackbelt.

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same goes for, say, a doctorate. What do you get for your seven years of hard study and research? A piece of paper and two letters in front of your name, once you've got it its up to you to make it worth something.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good way of putting it, ckd. The black belt means little unless you realize what went into it and what must come out of it.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great public misconception is that all black belts are experts. This is understandable since people's knowledge of the martial arts comes mostly from movies and TV. This is compounded by the fact that some novice black belt holders advertise themselves as experts, and, eventually, even convince themselves they are experts.
If you are a black belt, you must always perform techniques properly, not matter how tired you are. Black belts should never just go through the motions of performing a technique or pattern, they must always execute techniques and patterns with precision, power, and enthusiasm. If you are not willing to do you best at every class, either return the black belt or do not come to class.
At any age ... being a black belt is an awesome responsibility, if you are not ready to accept this responsibility, then don't accept or even keep the black belt.

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said KickChick. A black belt not only sets the example for the Kohai (lower ranking students) he sets the example for other Black belts.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: