Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

mal103
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie44 wrote:
sorry for the two previous comment, no idea what happened there, but i was trying to say that when i do spar, i would just wait for an attack, i only wish to defend, will this be a problem?

Just to expand on my previous post - get a good Brown/Black belt, stand an arms length away and ask them to punch you finishing a millimetre away from your head/body.
Then try and block...

I gaurantee that you will get hit every time unless they give you some indication in their eyes or breathing, or draw their hand back first.
If it's a random straight punch you won't have time to flinch.

If your training just to get a Black belt then pretend to attack in your sparring to get past, if you want to defend yourself or "BECOME" a Black belt then you need to get over this hurdle.

How can you tell apart a Kyu grade from a beginner from a Black belt - ask them to do Heian Shodan.
The beginner will be thinking about each move if they know it, their moves will be slow and weak.
The Kyu grade will vary in speed and power.
The Black belt will move like a blur with a definite thud with each move, they will visualise an attacker with every punch/block and look like they are punching through a brick wall, when they Kiai it will make rabbits sit up 1000 yards away and send a chill down everyone's spine.
If you want to move about then go dancing, if you want to learn the spirit of Karate then train harder!

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will echo the last two solid pieces of advice and maybe even take it a step further in placing importance on aggression.

Aggression is not anger. Aggression is actually how we win fights. I never train to, or teach, to defend. Defense is how a bad guy gains momentum and overruns us. Controlled, professional aggression that controls the situation is what wins.

When attacked, the only purpose of defense is to put us back on aggressive footing to attack the threat. This is a serious mindset issue that all martial artists need to be aware of and understand.

Defense without aggression is a sure way to set yourself up for defeat.

andym
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only repeat the advice already offered. Aggression is not anger. In competitions aggression is to take the initiative, this always gives you the advantage - you are setting the agenda of the match, instead of setting a trap and hoping the opponent walks into it. Or hoping you react quickly enough to counter, and the artificial set up of competition, most of us are just not quick enough.

brickshooter
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Aggression? Reply with quote

Charlie44 wrote:
hi, I've been training for four years now and (hopefully) taking my black belt grading in December. Ive never taken part in competition, but i have noticed in training that when i spar, i feel reluctant to attack my opponent. Is this a major issue if i wish to compete? Is it aggression i need to work on or can i rely on my defense game? replies would be appreciated

Here is what you do...

Get into your defensive stance. Now creep towards your opponent and force him to attack.

You benefit because you KNOW he's going to attack. And you force him to attack earlier than he really wants.

So go ahead, get into your best defensive stance, and stalk your opponent.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the basketball coach in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie?

"Assert your personhood."

Aggression has a negative connotative meaning for you. That's just part of your neuro-linguistic programming based on your particular personal sociologic human experience. And as Stuart Smalley would say, "That's okay." So just think of the more forward moving attitude needed to prevail in conflict as "assertiveness" and it may be easier for you.

From a more technical standpoint, Brickshooter makes a great point. A forward moving counterfighter can be a good strategy. I do a lot of it, mostly because I'm short and have to defend on my way in. Reach has a lot to do with how you build your game.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aggression is not an emotion, aggression is a strategy. A tire can be aggressive. A computer program can be aggressive. A treatment program delivered by a doctor can be aggressive.

Anger is an emotion. People who are angry often use aggressive tactics, but the tactic is completely separate from the emotion.

AdamKralic
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be able to attack first. You need to be able to counter. It's never all this or all that. It's being able to do it all.

So if you are VERY aware that you are not attacking first as often as you are waiting...then you need to attack first a lot more often.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
Charlie, if you rely an technique and good form, calmly and with focus you don't need to be aggressive. Coming from a place of calm purpose is better than an angry response. You can act quicker as you are relaxed and in control. Meet each opponent like a whirlwind - strong and powerful on the outside but peaceful in the center.

I think Harkon72 makes some good points, but I do think the other side of the coin is just as viable. There is nothing wrong with showing some aggression, and I think anger can be a very motivational emotion. Just because one is angry, doesn't mean one can't think straight and make the right decisions. I'm capable of being angry without being out of control.

I would also encourage you to develop an offensive game to go along with your defensive abilities. Action is faster than reaction. Being defensive is well and good, but you won't likely be able to stop everything. Balance is a good thing, so I'd recommend working on that.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, if you think of the Ba Gua elemental system; it's a little like paper, scissors, stone. Like rarely beats like, opposites neutralize each other and the principal of ying and yang moves through the form. As in the previous post, what you need is a balanced response. Having an empathy with your opponent, reading the situation will give the correct response; but this should happen in the blink of an eye and usually it is not a conscious process. Any good Aikido demonstration will show what is meant by Mushin, or "Mind like water".

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can be aggressive with a smile and a laugh, too. One of the CM's i've trained with before has this un-nerving thing in his game where he presses the offense like crazy, grinning and mixing in these moves like something out of the Stooges while he steamrollers people back. It's not an anger thing in the slightest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: