Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
I will echo the last two solid pieces of advice and maybe even take it a step further in placing importance on aggression.

Aggression is not anger. Aggression is actually how we win fights. I never train to, or teach, to defend. Defense is how a bad guy gains momentum and overruns us. Controlled, professional aggression that controls the situation is what wins.

When attacked, the only purpose of defense is to put us back on aggressive footing to attack the threat. This is a serious mindset issue that all martial artists need to be aware of and understand.

Defense without aggression is a sure way to set yourself up for defeat.

This is great advise. Very well put, tallgeese.

Poseidon33
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time frustration or anger comes out is if you score a Great point and no one sees it. Now you have to work harder to get that same point back. Competitions are a fantastic learning experience. Everyones aggressive and it's a lot of fun! It's also interesting to see how the different styles sparr.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just assume start a match off angry at the other person. Then I won't care if they get hit.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Poseidon33"]The only time frustration or anger comes out is if you score a Great point and no one sees it. Now you have to work harder to get that same point back. Competitions are a fantastic learning experience. Everyones aggressive and it's a lot of fun! It's also interesting to see how the different styles sparr.[/quote]

That's why I like full contact more than anything. If it's a great hit, your opponent's going to notice it at least.

JasonW
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't your sensei be training you to spar aggressively to some extent?

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie44, long story short: in sport competition / tournament sparring, preemptive, on-all-the-time aggression will increase your chances of victory, as tallgeese and bushido_man96 suggest.

Your question is actually very similar (perhaps the same) to another thread under this forum group. For my full explanation regarding this issue, I suggest reading my reply here:

http://www.karateforums.com/agressive-or-passive-vt42748-10.html

There are many other great replies on that thread, as well. As for this thread by you, Charlie44, here are just a few of the good replies / advice from others (IMHO), followed by my 2 cents:

MasterPain wrote:
If your reluctance to attack comes from experience telling you that you are good at counterfighting, fine. If it comes from moral issues and a feeling of wrongness, reexamine your personal philosophy.

And from:

JusticeZero wrote:
Aggression is not an emotion, aggression is a strategy. A tire can be aggressive. A computer program can be aggressive. A treatment program delivered by a doctor can be aggressive.

Anger is an emotion. People who are angry often use aggressive tactics, but the tactic is completely separate from the emotion.

And from:

Harkon72 wrote:
Charlie, if you rely an [sic] technique and good form, calmly and with focus you don't need to be aggressive. Coming from a place of calm purpose is better than an angry response. You can act quicker as you are relaxed and in control. Meet each opponent like a whirlwind - strong and powerful on the outside but peaceful in the center.

And from:

bushido_man96 wrote:
I think Harkon72 makes some good points, but I do think the other side of the coin is just as viable. There is nothing wrong with showing some aggression, and I think anger can be a very motivational emotion. Just because one is angry, doesn't mean one can't think straight and make the right decisions. I'm capable of being angry without being out of control.

I would also encourage you to develop an offensive game to go along with your defensive abilities. Action is faster than reaction. Being defensive is well and good, but you won't likely be able to stop everything. Balance is a good thing, so I'd recommend working on that.

MasterPain, your advice is very direct ; like an arrow unerringly penetrating its target (hence your username, no? ).

Great explanation / analogy, JusticeZero. Anger and aggression are often used synonymously when they aren't the same thing.

Harkon72, your advice is sound, too, but I ask for clarification on one point: the advice you mention regarding calm focus and calm purpose, do you relate these to being passive? Your advice regarding good technique and form, relaxation and control allowing quicker responses, "meet each opponent like a whirlwind" (great analogy ), is great anytime.

bushido_man96, you also make some good points. You're right, using aggressive tactics are good, especially in MMA bouts / sport competition (or any other physical sport, for that matter). However, anger can and does quickly cloud the mind of most people. I realize you're making the case that it is possible to be angry without clouding the mind or losing control; very true. I think it's great that you have that ability. But, most people do not; a possibility is no guarantee. Your advice about developing an offensive game and balancing tactics, is all good.

I guess the only 2 cents I can add to these hefty pieces of advice is that it is entirely possible to be calm, relaxed, and in control while being aggressive towards an opponent (aggression = pressing your opponent with well executed techniques).

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aggression without the proper content doesn't belong in the dojo. On the streets, well, context aggression is a good thing.

Mizu No Kokoro and Tsuki No Kokoro ring loudly!!

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a Calm Purpose doesn't always mean that you are passive; you can strike hard and with a powerful energy without anger and aggression, the tide of your techniques can be a powerful tsunami while your mind is calm and relaxed.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mal103 wrote:
I would say you need more time and training. You face getting hit a lot in sparring and if your best defence in a real situation is to wait to be attacked then you are not going to last long.

Agreed.

Hesitance to perform your techniques demonstrates a lack of faith in your techniques. You should have 100% confidence in your actions. If you're second guessing wether you'll get hit while performing them, thus holding back, then you need more training.

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
Having a Calm Purpose doesn't always mean that you are passive; you can strike hard and with a powerful energy without anger and aggression, the tide of your techniques can be a powerful tsunami while your mind is calm and relaxed.

OK Thanks for the clarification

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: