Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Charlie44
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Aggression? Reply with quote

hi, I've been training for four years now and (hopefully) taking my black belt grading in December. Ive never taken part in competition, but i have noticed in training that when i spar, i feel reluctant to attack my opponent. Is this a major issue if i wish to compete? Is it aggression i need to work on or can i rely on my defense game? replies would be appreciated

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie, if you rely an technique and good form, calmly and with focus you don't need to be aggressive. Coming from a place of calm purpose is better than an angry response. You can act quicker as you are relaxed and in control. Meet each opponent like a whirlwind - strong and powerful on the outside but peaceful in the center.

Charlie44
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
Charlie, if you rely an technique and good form, calmly and with focus you don't need to be aggressive. Coming from a place of calm purpose is better than an angry response. You can act quicker as you are relaxed and in control. Meet each opponent like a whirlwind - strong and powerful on the outside but peaceful in the center. )
thanks for the reply , and i will be thinking of the advice next time i spar, but when i do spar

Charlie44
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Charlie44"][quote="Harkon72"]Charlie, if you rely an technique and good form, calmly and with focus you don't need to be aggressive. Coming from a place of calm purpose is better than an angry response. You can act quicker as you are relaxed and in control. Meet each opponent like a whirlwind - strong and powerful on the outside but peaceful in the center. )[/quote]thanks for the reply , and i will be thinking of the advice next time i spar

Charlie44
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the two previous comment, no idea what happened there, but i was trying to say that when i do spar, i would just wait for an attack, i only wish to defend, will this be a problem?

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best from of defense is to act in a way so that your opponent is at a disadvantage. Be that off balance, facing away, on the ground, controlled so they cannot attack again or ineffective so you are not going to get hurt. That said, if you can intercept them with a well timed strike that will disable them; this doesn't need to be aggressive either. The power of a right hook met with a strong knife hand block to the bicep will stop most attackers, the fact that you follow with the right knife hand to the neck area to further disable him is purely your choice. If you want to defend, look to stop your attacker before they get close, a good kick to the knee area as the step in will suffice. I hope you find your way and your own style within what you are taught; it is very satisfying.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your reluctance to attack comes from experience telling you that you are good at counterfighting, fine. If it comes from moral issues and a feeling of wrongness, reexamine your personal philosophy.

mal103
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say you need more time and training. You face getting hit a lot in sparring and if your best defence in a real situation is to wait to be attacked then you are not going to last long.
I spar with one Shodan who is always on the attack and very fast, unless you take the initiative by attacking you tend to get hit a lot, you can still be calm when sparring but you have to try and control the fight. You also need to know if your hits are effective, if you techniques are easily blocked then you need to change them or add distractions etc.
I'm not a naturally agressive person and will often pause to say sorry if i get in a strong hit, but you must hit. Also consider fighting 2 attackers, something i had to do for my Shodan, unless you attack you are toast

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Harkon72"]Charlie, if you rely an technique and good form, calmly and with focus you don't need to be aggressive. Coming from a place of calm purpose is better than an angry response. You can act quicker as you are relaxed and in control. Meet each opponent like a whirlwind - strong and powerful on the outside but peaceful in the center. :)[/quote]

Being aggressive doesn't necessarily mean angry as well. Controlled aggression is what you see in the ring all the time - constantly putting pressure on the opponent and hitting with bad intentions. I don't think anyone would ever advocate letting emotion override reason in a fight.

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuma wrote:
Harkon72 wrote:
Charlie, if you rely an technique and good form, calmly and with focus you don't need to be aggressive. Coming from a place of calm purpose is better than an angry response. You can act quicker as you are relaxed and in control. Meet each opponent like a whirlwind - strong and powerful on the outside but peaceful in the center.

Being aggressive doesn't necessarily mean angry as well. Controlled aggression is what you see in the ring all the time - constantly putting pressure on the opponent and hitting with bad intentions. I don't think anyone would ever advocate letting emotion override reason in a fight.

Kuma beat me to this part. There is nothing that requires aggression and anger to be linked together. I've had students ask the same thing. How can you hit people and not be angry. I try to explain that I don't have to be angry to hit you, at all. Aggression is about pressure and offense. You don't throw away your defense, but if you sit back and wait for the attackers to come to you, you will slip at some point. And you find it hard to get offense rolling when you are busy trying to cover your tail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: