Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Aikido and Hapkido - A comparision Reply with quote

I have been studying Combat Hapkido for several years now, and I have also been studying Aikido for a while now too, although the college break has put me on hiatus from Aikido. I have seen some difference in the two, and wanted to share them here.

1. Energy. In Aikido, there is more focus on energy. It may be given by the attacker, in the form of a push or a pull, or the defender can give some energy to create movement for projection. In Combat Hapkido, this isn't always the case. Attacks with punches or kicks will produce some energy, but grabs are not usually accompanied by a push or a pulling motion.

2. Rolls/breakfalls. Many of the Aikido techniques end in a throw, or a "projection" of the attacker; the attacker is thrown, and rolls back to a standing position many times. However, there are some breakfalls, and there are also pins and locks taught, as well. However, I feel that Combat Hapkido does a lot more takedowns and restraints/holds, which means for the attacker, that there is less rolling, and more breakfalling, and more tapping out.

3. Striking. Combat Hapkido contains strikes, and they are usually part of every technique done. They are used as distraction techniques, as well as finishes. In Aikido, there isn't near as much striking as the defender, and striking technique is not worked on as a part of the curriculum. It is in Combat Hapkido.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just done seminar work in Aikido and trained with Hapkido people, so take my feeling with a gran of salt, it sounds pretty much on the money from my perspective.

It the projection observation you make that makes the joint manipulation I study much more akin to your CH than Aikido. In a combat situation, once you lay hands on someone you have a certain degree of control or potential control of them. If you send them flying away from you, no matter how impressive the throw, you lose that. Now they can decide to pick up a bottle or get their folder out. If you control and manipulate, you can better contain factors like that.

It's neither better or worse, just different based on what your needs and interests are.

tonydee
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: 24 yrs kong soo do, 3 yrs hapkido, bits of others

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied hapkido for 2 or 3 years (reaching 2nd gup), and aikido for 6 months. Aikido never clicked for me, but I can see some of the differences, and largely agree with what's been said already.

Another difference was that Aikido movements are made with more attention to your hara, which is often kept facing the opponent, and moved directly through their position to unbalance them. Hapkido is more freeform in these aspects, turning the hips and torso in whatever direction based on the strike, throw or joint lock being employed, with the overall position of the opponent being affected without specific regard to their hara.

Re aikido rolls vs hapkido takedowns & restraints - statistically true, but I think both incorporate similar elements. Interestingly, hapkido uses rolls (and breakfalls) as releases/escapes from joint locks....

Re striking: the style of Aikido I studied didn't use much striking either, but I gather that varies a bit, with some styles famous for it. In my hapkido training, strikes were indeed used as softening and distraction techniques in the lead in to joint locks or throws....

Cheers,
Tony

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
It the projection observation you make that makes the joint manipulation I study much more akin to your CH than Aikido. In a combat situation, once you lay hands on someone you have a certain degree of control or potential control of them. If you send them flying away from you, no matter how impressive the throw, you lose that. Now they can decide to pick up a bottle or get their folder out. If you control and manipulate, you can better contain factors like that.

I agree with your sentiments here. I like to gain the control and maintain it, especially since its more applicable to cuffing and the like.

tonydee wrote:
Another difference was that Aikido movements are made with more attention to your hara, which is often kept facing the opponent, and moved directly through their position to unbalance them. Hapkido is more freeform in these aspects, turning the hips and torso in whatever direction based on the strike, throw or joint lock being employed, with the overall position of the opponent being affected without specific regard to their hara.

Yes, I have noticed this, too. Aikido movement, for lack of better terminology, seems to be a lot more technical than the Hapkido movement that I do. However, I have found spots where I do a bit of cross-over with each.

tonydee wrote:
Re striking: the style of Aikido I studied didn't use much striking either, but I gather that varies a bit, with some styles famous for it. In my hapkido training, strikes were indeed used as softening and distraction techniques in the lead in to joint locks or throws....

Of these two 'soft' styles, I find that Hapkido is the 'harder' of the two styles. However, in reading books put out by the Yoshinkan, I've seen more serious striking involved. The system I study in tends to be less aggressive with the strikes.

Thanks for the comments thus far, guys.

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think many miss the point. Hapkido is supposedly came from same branch of Aiki-jujutsu as Aikido. Too many people think or believe that Aikido does not have striking, but one of the arts, other than Aiki-jujutsu as a foundation for Aikido was Tenjin Shinyo-ryu. Thus, I believe, many people do not get a chance to learn and acknowledge the many combat methods, including striking, that Aikido has to offer. The problem is Aikido does not develop students in a "shorter" amount of time as does Hapkido. Thus, many Aikido practitioners either do not have a teacher who has remained long enough to learn such combat tactics, or they themselves do not either.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lineage or not, I think the connotative idea that aikido does not use strikes is pretty well founded in watching it's practitioners. When was the last time you walked into an aiki class and saw them working mitts?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right. There are some strikes in Aikido, but most of them are done to facilitate the energy needed for a technique, by the attacker. They make sure the energy is right, and that the proper target is being struck, but other than that, they don't strike anything, and, at least in my class, we haven't lined up to practice these strikes with any kind of intent.

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
That's right. There are some strikes in Aikido, but most of them are done to facilitate the energy needed for a technique, by the attacker. They make sure the energy is right, and that the proper target is being struck, but other than that, they don't strike anything, and, at least in my class, we haven't lined up to practice these strikes with any kind of intent.

Per may statement-post;

Too many people think or believe that Aikido does not have striking, but one of the arts, other than Aiki-jujutsu as a foundation for Aikido was Tenjin Shinyo-ryu. Thus, I believe, many people do not get a chance to learn and acknowledge the many combat methods, including striking, that Aikido has to offer.

I have, in my lifetime so far, observed two Aikido teachers (on far separate occasions and locale) use striking. Not of defense against, but for actual combat.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, we come back to two. Out of how many that don't. I'd be curious to know if they were part of another art as well, as in cross training.

I have yet to see an aikido syllabus that devoted any SIGNIFIGANT time to striking, that's all I'm saying. Everyone has tertiary skills involved with what they do, aikido included. But its not, to my knowledge, beyond that.

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
Again, we come back to two. Out of how many that don't. I'd be curious to know if they were part of another art as well, as in cross training.

I have yet to see an aikido syllabus that devoted any SIGNIFIGANT time to striking, that's all I'm saying. Everyone has tertiary skills involved with what they do, aikido included. But its not, to my knowledge, beyond that.

These two were rare, they were old back then, and both directly from the "source".

Aikido is a art that its founder HAD crossed trained.

My statement;

Thus, I believe, many people do not get a chance to learn and acknowledge the many combat methods, including striking, that Aikido has to offer. The problem is Aikido does not develop students in a "shorter" amount of time as does Hapkido. Thus, many Aikido practitioners either do not have a teacher who has remained long enough to learn such combat tactics, or they themselves do not either.

....is why MANY have not ex[ereibced Aikido in such fashion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: