Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Xy
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All!

When I was about 8 I did a martial-art for a while but gave it away when we moved.

I'm now 18 and thinking about starting again. I was hoping for your opinions (as biased as they may be ) on each art that you've done.

Thanks
Xy.

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've trained in BJJ for a couple years. I find it is more realistic, since Aikido and japanese jujitusu just assume that assailants will fall into the locks.

This Message was edited by: Patrick on Jun 27, 2001 11:50am

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, BJJ is more realistic for street combat.
to really Make Aikido work your oponent must attack you like a crazy and then you can use there own agression against him.
But Aikido to fight a persons who knows how to fight, well that's another story.
thanks

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done Kickboxing and I am now doing Shito Ryu Karate. I feel that Shito Ryu Karate is better for fighting on the street. I know people say that Kickboxing is more oriented around the street, but Karate's ancient techniques still work now. Trust me, I have saved my life with these techniques.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aikido is okay, I mean, I've taken some and it was okay, but I didn't take enough to make any judgements, other than I wasn't too impressed with it. It might have been the teacher though, I had no further interest in it.

As for an above poster's comments saying that your attacker will need to somehow fall into any locks and whatnot (in Ju Jutsu)? I don't get that. Perhaps I've studied a form of this that wasn't this style that the user mentioned? I say this, because Ju Jutsu can be quite brutal and effective. I do agree, however, that BJJ is quite good, especially for fighting a lot of untalented street thugs, so to speak... it's also a good all around style and is good to know.

However, I personally find a few various styles and combinations of styles more effective -- even if it does involve some BJJ or Ju Jutsu. I tend to usually mix it up a little with some Tai Jutsu (which by itself is one of the most effective, brutal arts I've ever studied), various styles of Kung Fu, maybe some Chin Na techniques. Also, wrestling is good to know, for sure. Basically, try and cover all the aspects, such as striking arts, arts that deal with locks, throws, breaks, good blocking and whatnot. Arts that deal with ground fighting are a must to add to the mix as well.

I'd suggest well rounded style that is a mix of many other's, but that's not going to be easy to get that information for most people. An, as I mentioned Tai Jutsu, well, it's very rare that you'll find anyone or any real school to teach that in the US or many other countries. However, there are some good arts out there. it also can depend on how able you are. Some people are seemingly better suited for other arts, or so it appears, but it's a personal choice.

Also, once you develop your skills, they only grow further, if you allow them to. Use what you learn for a basis and stic kto the principals and further your knowledge, talent and style to best suit you. There are many good starting points for that result, try out a few styles and see what best suits you -- you might be limited to your choices by what's offered as well. And, I hope you find a truly qualified school, because a lot of them out there simply suck.

Kung Fu, Modern Arnis, TaiJutsu, and anything I can put to use.

This Message was edited by: Tim Greer on Jun 29, 2001 5:20am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2001 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant by "fall into an armlock" is that the traditional japanese styles never deal with what happens if they don't get the arm-bar or lock. They trow people down great, but the ground is something they don't deal with much at all. This is probably because they are more mass-combat oriented. In a war the ground is the last place to be since other opponents can stab you with their weapons.
Anyway, it seems that these styles haven't evolved to include the ground fighting.

Personally, I think Aikido is very outdated since people don't fight with swords anymore. They tend to train against haymaker attacks more than anything and they keep their face wide-open to attack. And for those Seagal fans.. he's just an actor and not a good fighter.

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2001 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some moves may be outdated but are still useful in today's world. Being attacked by a pipe or some sort of stick is just like being attacked by a sword. When fighting someone who is just an idiot on the street, the haymaker blocks come in handy.

Plus, if you wanna impress your girlfriend, you can do some cool *.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2001 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be for your average thug. But I agree that it is a good skill to learn. I personally get many of the same Techs as Aikido in Silat and Kali, just with a little different approach. The difference is that in kali and Silat, they aren't as peaceful with the responses and add many nasty finishes.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As most of u know i have done a lot of arts, one of which was a short stint in BJJ. I learned the basic ground fighting techniques from BJJ such as lock and lapel grab and all that, but i combine that with beating the * outta the guy with punches if he tries to take me down.

I can do standup locks and wrestling but i find a dynamic approach (punches and kicks) as the best way of handling street thugs.

Hooroo,
Angus

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello XY.......all arts have there good techniques........however it is important that you find an art that come natural to you and that your comfortable with.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: