Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lesson for a MMA fighter; looks like a (Positive) point for Aikido.
From Steven to Lyoto towards Randy.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NYPXV0sCe9M

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:

Seagal has nothing to do with that kick landed against Couture....

Im quite certain hes done that kick a few hundred thousand times having done karate for the past several decades. Its a standard front kick, and there was no "run" preceeding it.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ-Jitsu wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:

Im quite certain hes done that kick a few hundred thousand times having done karate for the past several decades. Its a standard front kick, and there was no "run" preceeding it.
The same thought crossed my mind, that Lyoto wouldn't need Seagal's advice and guidance on such an easy thing as a front kick, but there it is... go figure

If anything, Seagal should be giving some grappling insights instead of kicking techniques...

Or Lyoto teaching Seagal how to kick, would be more appropriate.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A positive from the man himself:

Morihei Ueshiba, founder of aikido

Contemplate the workings of this world, listen to the words of the wise, and take all that is good as your own. With this as your base, open your own door to truth. Do not overlook the truth that is right before you. Study how water flows in a valley stream, smoothly and freely between the rocks. Also learn from holy books and wise people. Everything—even mountains, rivers, plants, and trees—should be your teacher.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
TJ-Jitsu wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:

The same thought crossed my mind, that Lyoto wouldn't need Seagal's advice and guidance on such an easy thing as a front kick, but there it is... go figure

If anything, Seagal should be giving some grappling insights instead of kicking techniques...

Or Lyoto teaching Seagal how to kick, would be more appropriate.

I think Seagal has dan rank in some style of Karate, too...

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a bouncer's perspective.

Aikido is a positive choice.

Why Aikido is the best martial art

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-VOb2YBBr7E

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me there are 3 main reasons why aikido gets a lot of unfair flak.

1. The observer compares it to combat sport. Aikido is no good in a situation where 2 people face each other, knowing they will begin fighting when signalled to do so. But Aikido is absolutely not for that. Aikido and combat sport skills are for two very different purposes.

2. The observer doesn't understand what they are seeing. When an attacker takes a dive as soon as the defender starts their technique, all eyes are on the defender. Few realise that very much part of the display is the attacker's ability to feel a technique going on, before it reaches the point where it is effective, and roll or fall out of it and still be immediately able to resume the attack.

3. It's not a complete combat system. The observer often thinks an Aikido practitioner will only do Aikido. They fail to realise that in a pickle, the aikidoka will do Aikido plus whatever else he or she has, whether that's trained in like another martial art style, or inherent, like the instinctive knowledge to kick and punch. So Aikido is a supplementary skill rather than a be all and end all. But the so is any other style.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a series of videos in yotube called aikido quest.

Basically an aikido practitioner decided his style was ineffective and is trying to change it. He quit his organization and he's trying to incorporate other techniques to his art.

This is one of his videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=0KUXTC8g_pk

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RW wrote:

Basically an aikido practitioner decided his style was ineffective and is trying to change it. He quit his organization and he's trying to incorporate other techniques to his art.

This is one of his videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=0KUXTC8g_pk

I have great respect for that guy. He has guts, and an open mind. But with respect to him, he is terrible at aikido. That's why his style doesn't work. One of the core principles in aikido is tai sabaki, or body movement. Basically about always positioning yourself in a way that evades or merges with the opponent, rather than directly opposing. This guy does not do this.

He also isn't comparing apples for apples. Aikido was never developed for sport. It is simply not designed for the classic scenario of two fighters square up for head to head fighting. It is designed for self defence against a civilian aggressor. Not a trained combat sport fighter. Of course that's not an excuse. Most casual amateur karateka or kung fu practitioners or even your casual 4 hours per week muay thai office worker guy will get knacked by someone who routinely competes. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with they style. It just depends what you're training for and how much you train. If you train for the ring, you'll do OK in the ring. If you train to win trophies for kata, you'll do alright at kata. The trouble with Aikido is that because it's about real self defence, you can't really practice it for real with measurable benchmarks in your goals. The MMA guy can test himself regularly in the ring, to see how he does in the ring. The person who competes in kata can get critical feedback from competition. The person that trains for self defence can't really go round goading random strangers into swinging a bat at them, so it's hard for them to measure themselves. So some step out of their comfort zone into someone else's. The results are invariably the same. The person that has trained for the ring defeats the person that has trained for something else, and then we all applaud MMA as the most effective style.

Last edited by OneKickWonder on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
RW wrote:

I have great respect for that guy. He has guts, and an open mind. But with respect to him, he is terrible at aikido. That's why his style doesn't work. One of the core principles in aikido is tai sabaki, or body movement. Basically about always positioning yourself in a way that evades or merges with the opponent, rather than directly opposing. This guy does do this.

He also isn't comparing apples for apples. Aikido was never developed for sport. It is simply not designed for the classic scenario of two fighters square up for head to head fighting. It is designed for self defence against a civilian aggressor. Not a trained combat sport fighter. Of course that's not an excuse. Most casual amateur karateka or kung fu practitioners or even your casual 4 hours per week muay thai office worker guy will get knacked by someone who routinely competes. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with they style. It just depends what you're training for and how much you train. If you train for the ring, you'll do OK in the ring. If you train to win trophies for kata, you'll do alright at kata. The trouble with Aikido is that because it's about real self defence, you can't really practice it for real with measurable benchmarks in your goals. The MMA guy can test himself regularly in the ring, to see how he does in the ring. The person who competes in kata can get critical feedback from competition. The person that trains for self defence can't really go round goading random strangers into swinging a bat at them, so it's hard for them to measure themselves. So some step out of their comfort zone into someone else's. The results are invariably the same. The person that has trained for the ring defeats the person that has trained for something else, and then we all applaud MMA as the most effective style.

That's my problem with the self defense angle of martial arts. I practice them because I like them and I have a deep appreciation for their technique and health benefits, but the problem with any discipline oriented towards self defense is that you cannot properly stress test many of the techniques.

A boxer actually practices trying to punch the opponent as hard as he can, while also trying not to get punched. A Muay Thai is truly throwing his best kicks.

But one cannot grab a club or glass bottle and just swing it full force against an uke. The uke cannot really just grab your wrist and flip you aikido style full force because he will probably break the attacker's wrist.

When people see aikido demonstrations and point out the fact that the ukes are flipping like in an action movie and that's unrealistic I always point out that the ukes HAVE to go with the throw, or else if they resist they could end with a broken limb. The downside is that stress testing will never be as realistic.

That is why I also have doubts about karate's ippon kumite when it comes to self defense applications, who punches in zen kutsu dachi in real life? ANd who will stay stationary after punching in so you can pull one of those takedowns?

I like Aikido, and I wouldn't mind knowing more about it, but that's because I like martial arts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: