Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:51 am    Post subject: Aikido Strike. Reply with quote

As I have been watching alot of these Style Vs Style clips lately, I have noticed the traditional stylists (TKD, WC and Kung Fu) getting destoryed. So I thought I would have a look for some Aikido ones. Unfortunately I could not find any Aikido Vs, but just to show the the power in Aikido "strikes", I thought I would share this vid.

http://www.aikidofaq.com/video/chiba_wakeup.mov

Take Care

omnifinite
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Hapkido | Kempo | Jujitsu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if so many of the traditional stylists are getting trounced because so many of the traditional styles are being taught by people who are so way off course. All the old systems were created for and used in combat successfully... and over the years a lot of them have degenerated and become funhouse mirror versions of themselves (not the styles themselves... I'm talking about what actually gets taught).

Now like the old arts, all these new styles have been freshly created specifically for effective combat. They haven't had a chance to get tampered with by the "I-know-better" masses yet. And a century from now the new styles will be mdojo-ified and getting stomped by whatever is coming next.

It makes sense to me anyway.

If only some shaolin monk somewhere would stumble off his spiritual path and clean up in the UFC .

rabid hamster
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aikido pants look funny.

Don't shoalin monks practice wu shu? I thought they didn't sparr either.

Thai_Kick
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, JKD and Kali

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If only some shaolin monk somewhere would stumble off his spiritual path and clean up in the UFC .

Bwa, ha, ha, ha, ha ,ha ,ha ,ha, ha, ha... oh man, my gut hurts from laughing, a shaolin monk...LOL!

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaolin cant enter UFC, mainly because they are BUDDISTS!

I was talking to some people at my Dojo about UFC, unfortunately Aikido is not really allowed to enter, because its ALL small joint manipulation, which is baned under current UFC rules. The only sparring in Aikido is called "shiai" which means mutual death. Basically its a fight to the death. The mutual bit means that one dies physically and his soul is relised back into the universe (buddist beliefs), the one that HAS killed although remains "alive" loses his soul because he has killed.

I love the Aikido Hakama (trousers/pants), but they are an art in themselves to actually move effectively in them with out falling strait on your face.

Thai_Kick, respect Shaolin fighting abilities, see these guys and I think even you would have to take a step back.

Sid Vicious
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kickboxing, Grappling

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant seem to get the video to work.

"Aikido strike" sounds funny. when i think of Aikido i think of throws and joint locks. i wish i could get the video to work.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the website

http://www.aikidofaq.com/

Goto Multimedia

Go down the list to Kazuo Chiba, 8th dan

Click on this file.

CHwakeup.mov (sd)

It might work if you do it the long way around.

Hope it works

Take Care.

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,
There are actually a lot of styles of aikdo. No just the ones founded by O-sensei. there if for example what they teach at the yoshinkan. they teach japanese riot police, the kidotai. Those guys are scary.

magikchiongson
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kun Tao, Silat, Ba Gua, Tae Kweer Do

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the dillemma that martial artists face today. You call it Traditional Styles yet nobody trains in the Traditional Way. Too many people get caught up in this Traditional vs Modern argument as if punching, kicking, and grappling is a new invention. Truth is, we are all a master of our own style.

You want to know why these Grapplers win all they time? First off the format favors them, second of all they train harder than most traditional stylists. They train everyday, endure a lot of pain. Of course they will win.
The form is traditional, the training is not.

LOILOI44
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Guys,
There are actually a lot of styles of aikdo. No just the ones founded by O-sensei. there if for example what they teach at the yoshinkan. they teach japanese riot police, the kidotai. Those guys are scary.

Tomiki Aikido is more geared for self defense. It addressed the lack of combat effectiveness in traditional aikido. Usheiba was a devout Buddhist and stressed spirituality. Prof. Tomiki filled in the gaps and made aikido more street ready. I recomend Aikido: Tradition and New Tomiki Free Fighting Method by Prof. Higashi. It's considered the best book on the subject.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: