Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just getting done with class tonight and heading home, tomorrow I have the day off and I'm going to be just relaxing around the house so I will give some input in the thread on the variations of the style. If I have time I will also make a little video too kind of help me explain from my experience anyways. I always keep a date, lol. I'm surprised there aren't more practitioners chiming in here, it's starting to feel like a very unseen martial arts in this forum. Let's see if we can change that

truejim
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kukkiwon/WTF

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the taekwondo wiki, I wrote brief articles about Tang Soo Do and Soo Bak Do just because I don't think you can have an encyclopedia about taekwondo that doesn't reference those arts as well, at least obliquely. But I don't really know anything about TSD, SBD or even Chun Kuk Do besides what little I've read.

These articles would benefit from a heavy edit by somebody who actually knows what they're talking about.

http://taekwondo.wikia.com/wiki/Tang_Soo_Do

http://taekwondo.wikia.com/wiki/Soo_Bahk_Do

http://taekwondo.wikia.com/wiki/Chun_Kuk_Do

http://taekwondo.wikia.com/wiki/Moo_Duk_Kwan_Taekwondo

http://taekwondo.wikia.com/wiki/Moo_Duk_Kwan

http://taekwondo.wikia.com/wiki/Hwang_Kee

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great informational post. I dont actually agree with some of the informations wording. Chun kuk do in particular does invlude taekwondo however it has more of a Tang Soo Do base and historically although chuck norris is an acomplished TKD guy; his roots and walk to fame as a karate champion are in TSD. In this clip which is actually pretty funny, you see his uniform back. Chun kuk do is a mixture and marketed as a martial art itself, however its still TangvSoo Do. Chuck Norris and Eva Gabor - Karate Demonstration…: https://youtu.be/zndl8pznghs

Soo Bahk Do can sometimes be considered its own martial art in some informational web pages however, when i studied it my instructor was not part of a federation. He refered to it as TSD not SBD. We once had a guest instructor from my instructors previous school/federation and we wore a patch that said Moo Duk Kwan and their backs said Tang Soo Do. In this clip you will see my instructor doing bassai dae blindfolded, but because of the poor recording angle you mostly see his instructor in Tang Soo Do. Again, tyebstyle taugh with very much hip movement is technically Soo Bahk Do. Bassai Dae: https://youtu.be/x2OIyjvrL7U

When it comes to these variations i try not to obsess over it because it will make your head spin, is Soo Bahk Do its own martial art' is Chun Kuk Do its own martial art? You will find more then one answer but as an insider my perception is they are the same.

As far as the relationship to TKD they have some similarities. I practice some TKD as well and its an easy transition especially if you are coming from Tang Soo Do because if they are a traditional school that uses korean terminoligy it will be the same from counting to ready and return stance. The emphasis on kocking will be moderately the same although TKD has places much more importance on kicks. Tang Soo Do os a shotokan varient with more emphasis on kicking though.

Thanks a lot for the informational post though, some can find it useful to help understand the origins of the arts. As for me i do as well but i find the different ways of using technuiqes more interesting. In a couple hours im going to do a quick video breakdown on some of this, im nobody special so i dont mean to sound like im blessing the thread with my video, i simply feel that its much easier to show and explain, speaking rather then writing. Will post in a bit.

Last edited by Luther unleashed on Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id like to also add, that my personal use of the name "Integrated Tang Soo Do" represents the fact that I blend other martial arts experiences with TSD at the base, but also that I do not teach any one style of TSD either, I am not afraid to mix it up and although i realise i will loose a particular styles essance in a way, i personally feel it is the only way to be free as a martial artist who has built a program with this in mind.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
Id like to also add, that my personal use of the name "Integrated Tang Soo Do" represents the fact that I blend other martial arts experiences with TSD at the base, but also that I do not teach any one style of TSD either, I am not afraid to mix it up and although i realise i will loose a particular styles essance in a way, i personally feel it is the only way to be free as a martial artist who has built a program with this in mind.

Ooooo...I like that. You're absorbing what is useful and discarding the rest to increase your TSD/MA betterment!!

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei8, yes in myb mind I suppose I take what's useful. Not always what's useful for a fight but maybe ill use the hung gar horse stance training sometimes because its lower then a karate style stance, to promote leg strengthening, or ill use something else but for the most part I do it in a structured way. Like kickboxing with TSD TO BLACK BELT, then TKD with TSD. i try and do it in stages so its not too messy and gives them something to look forward to, also I feel it helps to focus more deeply on the integrated martial art with a bit more tunnel vision and expose them to it more in-depth.

anyways... Here it is guys. Its a little long winded and focuses more on the t uhh e difference specifically between Soho Bank Do style vs most others because there's a more drastic variation in techniques with that particular branch and its the one I use and teach most. I did it on the spot and really winged it so It may be a bit Speratic in topics and explanations so don't judge harshly.
https://youtu.be/_gqYrE5Brio

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you, Luther unleashed. Thanks for sharing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
Good to see you, Luther unleashed. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you. Not the easiest thing in the world to put yourself out there like that but I figured I'd give it a shot haha, take care.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a cool video I found a long time ago. It's a generalized TSD video. This does not enlighten many on different factions of TSD, but it does a good job of showing a general and we'll rounded idea of what it is. Figured it's a great thread to post it in.

https://youtu.be/BD4NLU5CKlc

It's also worth noting, much if the self defense shown here is from forms, it much of a demo of the art, and not completely what you would see in a class exactly but similar.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the video Luther! Very informative. Have you spent time studying in each style or are you predominantly Soo Bak Do or Moo Duk Kwan?

Really interesting in the way you throw the hips in the different styles and how this is different again from TKD. For example with the front kick, if kicking with a right leg front kick, I (in ITF) would drive the right hip forward with the leg.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: