Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Thanks for the video Luther! Very informative. Have you spent time studying in each style or are you predominantly Soo Bak Do or Moo Duk Kwan?

Really interesting in the way you throw the hips in the different styles and how this is different again from TKD. For example with the front kick, if kicking with a right leg front kick, I (in ITF) would drive the right hip forward with the leg.

Thanks, yeah I study more then one faction of TSD, Soo Bahk Do is just more appealing to me. I enjoy the use of hip and feel it makes you dig a little deeper into the technique then usual.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
Thank you. Not the easiest thing in the world to put yourself out there like that but I figured I'd give it a shot haha, take care.

You are absolutely right. I used to host a YouTube show where it was basically just my face, and it can be a pretty daunting thing. You did good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
Luther unleashed wrote:
Thank you. Not the easiest thing in the world to put yourself out there like that but I figured I'd give it a shot haha, take care.

You are absolutely right. I used to host a YouTube show where it was basically just my face, and it can be a pretty daunting thing. You did good.

Thanks haha, I guess I'm not afraid to look a fool if I did though. Thanks for the words of encouragement

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to ad this to the thread about TSD. I have studied a bunch of martial arts but I ha email never practiced a martial art that focuses so much on the development team of the person, aside from martial skill. All traditional martial arts have this quality, but TSD in particular really let's this become an identity for the art. It's a beautiful attribute of tang soo do.

Mend
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do (ITF)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Questions about arm patches... Reply with quote

Is a Red colored "Cho Dan" arm patch different then a Green colored "Cho Dan" Arm patch?

This applies to the Int. Tang Soo Do Fed.

I've noticed different colors in class - wondering if this is like our belt system and Green is the "Junior" to the Red or vice versa?

Thanks.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about arm patches... Reply with quote

Mend wrote:
Is a Red colored "Cho Dan" arm patch different then a Green colored "Cho Dan" Arm patch?

This applies to the Int. Tang Soo Do Fed.

I've noticed different colors in class - wondering if this is like our belt system and Green is the "Junior" to the Red or vice versa?

Thanks.

I would not know the answer to this, in general the world tanks you know association is much more popular here in Arizona it would seem , also I personally do not belong to a Federation, and neither did I belong to a federation and studios I trained in for maybe 50% of my martial arts training places . Sorry but hopefully somebody else can answer that question for you, I think they are all over in the taekwondo forum having a party LOL

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to a previous conversation about chun kuk do being not tang soo do, if you google american tang soo do you will see that is the name of chun kuk do technically! Just good for thought

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another fun fact, in my most recent place of study Tang Soo Do was commonly called (on paper as well) the Korean variant of shotokan karate. I'm not for copying and paste my novels on the history but the Koreans openly admit to learning this art while the Japanese occupied Korea. Some say it was taught to them by a few Japanese soldiers when nobody was around, others say they watched the soldiers study it and practiced on their own. Fact is that it derives from Shotokan karate.

truejim
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kukkiwon/WTF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
As to a previous conversation about chun kuk do being not tang soo do, if you google american tang soo do you will see that is the name of chun kuk do technically! Just food for thought

http://taekwondo.wikia.com/wiki/Chun_Kuk_Do

Chun Kuk Do uses many of the same forms as Tang Soo Do, though Chun Kuk Do has a few forms that are unique to the style. I've also heard Moo Duk Kwan Taekwondo sometimes referred to also as American Tang Soo Do. I don't think there are any universally agreed-upon definitions for some of these things though...different authors will use the same phrases to mean different things.

truejim
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kukkiwon/WTF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
Another fun fact, in my most recent place of study Tang Soo Do was commonly called (on paper as well) the Korean variant of shotokan karate. I'm not for copying and paste my novels on the history but the Koreans openly admit to learning this art while the Japanese occupied Korea. Some say it was taught to them by a few Japanese soldiers when nobody was around, others say they watched the soldiers study it and practiced on their own. Fact is that it derives from Shotokan karate.

http://taekwondo.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_Taekwondo

Certainly most of the founders of taekwondo studied karate at some point (as well as other martial arts), but it wasn't always shotokan. For example, Byung In Yoon of YMCA Kwon Bop Bu/Chang Moo Kwan studied Shudokan karate. Kwe Byung Yoon of Jido Kwan studied Shito-rye karate.

Also, often young Korean men were conscripted into the Japanese Army; from what I've read, the Korean men might learn a little martial arts that way as well - not just by watching Japanese soldiers, but by being in the Japanese military themselves. The key founders of taekwondo though, most of them were able to attend university in Japan during the occupation, outside Korea, so they learned karate at university and then brought karate (as well as other martial arts) with them back to Korea after the war.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: