Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: All about TANG SOO DO Reply with quote

So I realised that we have many TKD threads and thought we could use an informative thread on my primary art Tang Soo Do. I envision a place where we can discuss technuiqes, similarities and differences, provide information to those looking for more about it, or whatever we come up with.

To start, one should understand there are different variations as with most martial arts. They tend to branch of and look different. In Tae Kwon Do there can be very large differences between WTF/ITF (as an example) styles. Forms will be completely different and main principles of kicking speed vs power, or how power or speed is generated. Usually Tang Soo Do is more similar, using the same forms although different organizations will perform them very differebtly, yet following the same patterns or concepts.

As another example I primarily practice Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan, and often known as SOO BAHK DO. It follows the same concept principles of lets say, "World Tang Soo Do Association " but my style will take on a less rigid looking style, and more fluid.

Tang Soo Do is basically a sister art to Shotokan, but there are differences. The main one being that Tang Soo Do follows the common Korean style kicking philosophy. Korean style kicking is a prominent part of most Korean martial arts, and the use of things like hip in kicjs are usually more prominent as well compared to Shotokan. It's essentially a Korean Shotokan varient.

I teach Integrated Tang Soo Do, which is a foundation of TSD while incorporating other arts for a wider base and knowlage.

Tang Soo Do is a very well rounded martial art. I don't add other arts because I feel personally TSD is lacking something. I Integrate other systems because I prefer to share the good of all my experiences. Tang Soo Do is the base I chose because I enjoyed the training and the concepts of Tang Soo Do, which has a very strong foundation in focusing on the person, and not just technuiqes themselves.

I hope this becomes a place that TSD practitioners and people looking for more information can find useful. Thanks.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid OP!! Thanks for sharing it with us!!

You might've already spoken about this somewhere else here at KF, but, what's your TSD background like. Thanks!

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, my background in TSD?

I have trained in a few styles of Tang Soo Do. The most recent is Soo BAHK Do style, which is basically Tang Soo Do with heavy emphasis on training hip movement. I have also studied chun kuk do, which is a whole other argument in another part of the forum, but that's the Chuck norris system which is a varient of Tang Soo Do. The most recent place I trained combined Tang Soo Do Moo duck Kwan style with kick boxing. They romeved one steps and replaced them with kick boxing style combinations, this is mostly what I implement in what I teach and I add the onesteps later on.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
Thanks, my background in TSD?

I have trained in a few styles of Tang Soo Do. The most recent is Soo BAHK Do style, which is basically Tang Soo Do with heavy emphasis on training hip movement. I have also studied chun kuk do, which is a whole other argument in another part of the forum, but that's the Chuck norris system which is a varient of Tang Soo Do. The most recent place I trained combined Tang Soo Do Moo duck Kwan style with kick boxing. They romeved one steps and replaced them with kick boxing style combinations, this is mostly what I implement in what I teach and I add the onesteps later on.

Thank you! How long in total?

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 years... do I get the job?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
7 years... do I get the job?

Sorry for that...and YES you're hired!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thread idea Luther.

You've already alluded to it a little, but could you outline and explain the various branches of TSD and the differences between them? I don't really know a whole lot about them.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as fast as the historic and roots of different factions, google can do better then me, and I'm certain other practitioners can as well. I am hoping others will chime in and make this a diverse, and well rounded thread.

As for breaking down technique, I'm personally much more interested in that for sure. Give me a little bit and ill post when I have a min. Just wanted to respond rather then leave you hanging and leave the thread with the crickets sound lol.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great From the outside at least it seems like there are a fair number of similarities with TKD which would make sense given the history and common root in Shotokan.

Doomed
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kanzen Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who doesn't know much of Tang Soo Do, would you be kind enough as to tell me the major variations of TSD, along with their key differences? I'm not very familiar with the Korean martial arts, so much of this is admittedly going over my head. ^__^'

EDIT: Never mind. Didn't notice the other post asking the same question lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: