Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: All fingers and thumbs Reply with quote

If I think about the injuries I've accumulated throughout all my years in martial arts, they can be broadly put into two categories.

Wear and tear/overuse : These are the usual muscle strains and light sprains, and a few episodes of tendinitis that thankfully resolved with conservative treatment.

Impact injuries : What would martial arts be about if we didn't take the occasional knock? This is basically bruises and in my case, one broken bone.

I'm not concerned about the first category. That can be mitigated by training wisely and resting correctly.

The second category though, if I were to break it down further, I'd say probably 90% of my injuries are to fingers and thumbs.

I'd further say that the majority of such injuries are the result of blocking kicks, where I partially miss the block, and end up receiving it on my fingers rather than palm of hand or wrist. In tang soo do and other styles I've practiced ( except wado ) we use both open hand and closed techniques. I generally prefer open hand for blocking, as it allows me to move more fluidly with less tension.

What do folks think on this? Do people prefer to keep tight fists when sparring? Perhaps there's some technique adjustment or hand strengthening strategy that reduces finger sprains? Or perhaps there's nothing unusual about my situation and sprained fingers and thumbs are just an occupational hazard of our pass time?

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Uechi Ryu folks seem to have a good idea for strengthening their hands (easy internet search for details.) Instead of clay jars, you can probably buy some dumbbells (15 and 20 lb would probably be appropriate in size and weight) to train with, and get some desired results.

I haven't jammed my fingers or thumbs in class, yet... but I did jam my big toe back in February, and it still hurts. My shoulders also partially dislocate fairly easily. While my injuries are a little different, I can definitely relate!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen what amounts to cut off gi sleeves advertised for Judo and BJJ players for grip strength. They have a strap on them that can be hooked to bungee cords or wrapped around kettlebells or pull-up bars.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As singularity6 eludes to there are exercises that you can do to strengthen the fingers. Stretching the fingers also helps.

Missing a block and catching the full impact of a kick does tend to jam the fingers. Since you are un-prepared for this type of impact I'm not sure if exercises would do anything to help.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, this is pretty common. Regardless of style and emphasis the hands just get hurt in MAs. If you think about it, it makes sense we're hitting, palming, grapping, etc all with the hands. They are just at risk more due to what we're constantly doing with them. Add in their rather delicate structure and it's a recipe for just what you're talking about.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that keeping the hands closed while blocking tends to help with this. I don't get my fingers jammed up or my wrists hurt nearly as much.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I've found that keeping the hands closed while blocking tends to help with this. I don't get my fingers jammed up or my wrists hurt nearly as much.

I've tried sparring with tight fists. I find I don't move as well. I certainly can't block as fast and I can't flow so well.

That said, that could be simply because self perpetuating thing, in that I practice open hand more because I move better that way, and I move better that way because I practice more that way.

I can see pros and cons to both. Closed fists are stronger and less prone to injury of course. But open hand, even if it's not actually faster and more fluid in general, does give the advantage of being ready to turn a block into a grab, in theory, although in our sparring rules we're not allowed to grab in free sparring.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

I've tried sparring with tight fists. I find I don't move as well. I certainly can't block as fast and I can't flow so well.

That said, that could be simply because self perpetuating thing, in that I practice open hand more because I move better that way, and I move better that way because I practice more that way.

I can see pros and cons to both. Closed fists are stronger and less prone to injury of course. But open hand, even if it's not actually faster and more fluid in general, does give the advantage of being ready to turn a block into a grab, in theory, although in our sparring rules we're not allowed to grab in free sparring.

We're trained to spar with our hands closed, as loose hands = jammed fingers. At least, this is what happens at lower belts.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
OneKickWonder wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

We're trained to spar with our hands closed, as loose hands = jammed fingers. At least, this is what happens at lower belts.

Largely the same with us. Lower belts do very few techniques with open hands. Later open handed is encouraged. I generally prefer open hand.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands closed TIGHTLY at the moment of contact; not before that!! Other than that, loose and relaxed for optimum movement(s); flowing to and through.

My hands are always relaxed, therefore always loose, until just right before contact defensively and/or offensively. Fingers that are kept together support one another at those moments necessary.

This is very crucial for us because Shindokan, after all, is 85% hands. Our hands are nearly constantly engaged one way or another.

One of the things we practice to strengthen our hands is Hojo Undo; a crucial staple for us. But beyond this, PROPER EXECUTION of any technique must be paramount. All of the Hojo Undo becomes meaningless is ones techniques aren't properly executed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: