Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
Luther unleashed wrote:
The first art I studied was American Kickboxing under a guy named Derrel Hollins in California. The first thing is that it’s actually Karate and similar Arts like TKD and so on, mixed with boxing. To this day it is the core of my personal style and the way I would fight, with this type of striking. This is probably why I place much more emphasis on sparring vs self defense drills for fighting.

Just a few days ago I watched a fight with Superfoot Bill vs Ray Mcallem. These guys were so tough and again, this style of “fighting” is more appealing to me as I believe striking to be the most effective (aside from grappling) and weighing striking against wrist locks and so on.

I would dispute calling it boxing.. The arm techniques are boxing but not the stances. The label is a bit ubfortunate

“Boxing up top”

mkdaggy
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan, BJJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend watching a few of Jean Yves "The Ice Man" Theriault's fights. Most of his fights took place in the 80's and early 90's. My personal opinion is that his boxing skills, along with extremely powerful lead leg (he fought orthodox) kicks, which he threw mainly roundhouse and front kicks, set him apart from the competition. If you watch his fights, you will notice he also worked the body a ton...liver shots like Bas Rutten.

American Kickboxing evolved over the years (again, I'm talking 70s through 90s), and many of the successful fighters moved away from the bladed stance often seen in earlier years. I had the opportunity to spar with Dan Macaruso back in '95 for his come back fight. I had watched some of his earlier fights (on VHS tapes) and expected to see the bladed stance and more lead leg side kicks. Instead, he really worked his hands and changed his stance and footwork, similar to how Theriault fought.
Like most things, if one aims to be successful they must learn to evolve. Duke Roufus had made some statements back in the day about leg kicking, and how it didn't take much technique. Today he is one of the top trainers specializing in leg kicks...change is inevitalbe, and he was smart enough to recognize it.

I miss watching the old PKA and ISKA fights, but have grown to love watching Mauy Thai, and MMA. I still hunt around for American Kickboxing rules figthts, but they are few and far between, and usually on the undercard of local Mauy Thai and/or MMA figths.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkdaggy wrote:
I would recommend watching a few of Jean Yves "The Ice Man" Theriault's fights. Most of his fights took place in the 80's and early 90's. My personal opinion is that his boxing skills, along with extremely powerful lead leg (he fought orthodox) kicks, which he threw mainly roundhouse and front kicks, set him apart from the competition. If you watch his fights, you will notice he also worked the body a ton...liver shots like Bas Rutten.

American Kickboxing evolved over the years (again, I'm talking 70s through 90s), and many of the successful fighters moved away from the bladed stance often seen in earlier years. I had the opportunity to spar with Dan Macaruso back in '95 for his come back fight. I had watched some of his earlier fights (on VHS tapes) and expected to see the bladed stance and more lead leg side kicks. Instead, he really worked his hands and changed his stance and footwork, similar to how Theriault fought.
Like most things, if one aims to be successful they must learn to evolve. Duke Roufus had made some statements back in the day about leg kicking, and how it didn't take much technique. Today he is one of the top trainers specializing in leg kicks...change is inevitalbe, and he was smart enough to recognize it.

I miss watching the old PKA and ISKA fights, but have grown to love watching Mauy Thai, and MMA. I still hunt around for American Kickboxing rules figthts, but they are few and far between, and usually on the undercard of local Mauy Thai and/or MMA figths.

Isn:t it also true that AKB later started to roundhouse kick with the shin, influence by the effectiveness of Muay Thai, having originally used the instep?

mkdaggy
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan, BJJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, when Macaruso was training for his come back fight he brought in a Mauy Thai trainer. He knew the game was changing. Also, the shin was padded in American Kickboxing. I know when I fought I had the one piece shin and boot pads that Macho use to sell...they were decent but tended to rip at the base of the shin/top of the instep.

I have great respect for the fighters who crossed over to Mauy Thai, such as Rick Roufus. That takes a lot of hard work!

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
mkdaggy wrote:

Isn:t it also true that AKB later started to roundhouse kick with the shin, influence by the effectiveness of Muay Thai, having originally used the instep?

This is completely true because originally karate and tae kwon do practitioners would learn some boxing and compete in American kickboxing, the’s meeting that their kicks were from those styles which of course used the instep and not the shin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: