Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

mistermark21
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: An excellent story/video of self control Reply with quote

Fellow members from the UK may remember this story, thought id share it with the world... a biker is minding his own business in his home with his family when a skin head, loud-mouth thug well known in the area turns up on his door step shouting abuse and trying to vandalise his bike.

The thug gathers a crowd by shouting insults, threatening the calm biker and swearing at him. Things get ugly but the biker just stands there nice and calm and makes sure his front door is closed behind him with his family safe inside the house.

The thug goes for a punch... BUT... the calm biker turns out to be a 2nd dan black belt and Gulf War Veteran, with one punch the thug goes down. Thug crawls away. The biker closes his gate after him and goes back inside.

Job done.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNhciE5WzaI

News article: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2672670/Hero-who-beat-up-yob-on-video-is-revealed-as-Gulf-War-veteran-with-two-black-belts.html

JiuJitsuNation
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ Judo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHA! Good for him.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good self control, but poor choice of tactics in my opinion. It's best not to let someone get that much in your space, let alone the few times the fellow allowed him to grab him. Fortunately for him this fellow was just some mouthy goof. It would have been much more unfortunate if said mouthy goof was armed.

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the look of the comments, this is a specific type of person in the UK known for starting trouble and running away. Not that you should take them any more lightly, but if that's the case, I can see why he didn't feel like escalating it until it got a lot more serious. There's more a sense of security in some places than others.

If that happened in Korea, it may never have ended with one person getting hit. It likely would have ended when the person spewing the verbal abuse simply got bored. You see it a lot here. Rarely do things end with any sort of physical engagement. It might just be that kind of place as well.

In any case, good on him for finally backing the punk down. If anything, the kid is lucky the bigger man didn't keep beating him when he hit the ground.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

mistermark21
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Good self control, but poor choice of tactics in my opinion. It's best not to let someone get that much in your space, let alone the few times the fellow allowed him to grab him. Fortunately for him this fellow was just some mouthy goof. It would have been much more unfortunate if said mouthy goof was armed.

Wouldnt an experienced Karateka be able to disarm somebody with a weapon? (Im new to all this so forgive me if thats a dumb question)[/quote]

JiuJitsuNation
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ Judo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuma wrote:

True I thought he deserved a kick in the teeth much sooner. Walking in the gate ,in my opinion, should have prompted a response. Of course I would just have let the dog out. the right animal presence will deter anyone.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistermark21 wrote:
Wouldnt an experienced Karateka be able to disarm somebody with a weapon? (Im new to all this so forgive me if thats a dumb question)

Weapon disarms are much more difficult to pull off than many might believe. Also, at that close range, by the time he may have even realized his opponent even had a weapon he'd be very unlikely to react effectively. And if this "yob" (a great word, by the way) had jail experience where he learned to hide a shiv or small knife in his hand, any one of those pushes and punch attempts could have been much more debilitating.

Even with open hands, some of these predators are clever. In a jail in my state, a female employee was attacked by an inmate who had Band-Aided ten small razor blades from a shaving razor onto each finger. He only assaulted her for about 30 seconds until he was finally stopped, but the poor woman needed something like 1500+ stitches to repair her face.

ALWAYS assume there's a weapon. Even if he didn't immediately produce it, this yob could have had a knife hidden on him. After he got knocked down, he could have easily hopped back up, drawn it, and advanced back at his opponent. Fortunately it just seems like he was a mouthy goof who was all bark and no bite.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Kuma. Not easy at all. But, being in control of himself like he was, very good thing.

wolverine uskf
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: kick boxing and submission wrestling

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried for years, and still don't have that much self control. That man is either a saint or an idiot. The punk could have produced a knife anytime, and he was way to close, and the guy was pinned on 3 sides. There's a difference between controled, and stupid. The difference in the world today unfortunarely is usually death.

mindsedgeblade
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TSD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great self control, yes. But he should never have let the punk get a hold on him. Having someone that far inside MY space would push my limits, but the first time he put a hand on me, he'd be on the floor bleeding. As far as I know, that would be completely inside my right to defend myself, and the first time he put a hand on me, I could call it assault.

I would have been MUCH more comfortable two steps farther away from that corner, but it would also make it harder to defend his actions. If it does go to court, someone would ask why he didn't just go inside and lock the door. No matter that the punk could have destroyed the bike or smashed the window. It's really aggravating how often we're just supposed to allow this kind of nonsense to happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: