Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

jdoub
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all:

I have involved in the study of Martial Arts for over 25 years. I have been teaching both Classical Karate (with an emphasis on Okinawan techniques) and Yang Style Tai Chi Ch'uan since 1983. I am the Headmaster (i.e. - Chief Instructor, Shihan, or Dean) of Heiwa-Ryu Martial Arts Academy. I will state that I am 5th Degree Black Belt (Godan) in my style. While that may sound impressive to some, I would ask that everyone take into consideration that I am a nobody from an unknown style in a small city in a big world of Martial Arts. I come before you "virtually" with only my experience to speak for itself and the system that I represent. I have been exposed to over 9 years of combative experience both in and out of the US Armed Forces; having serving over 16 years in the US Army Infantry. I view those years of actual street fighting as an acid test to my way of thinking and teaching.

I would encourage everyone to visit my web site (URL provided below) to get a greater understanding of both Heiwa-Ryu and myself. It may provide a better perspective when reading my posts. Should anyone have questions, please feel free to email me directly or post replies. I will not respond to posts of "my style is better than your style" or "my sensei is better than your sensei" since I feel they are pointless. A person makes the style; the style cannot make the person. Above all, I am posting my opinions which are just as valid as anyone else's.

"Paper cannot refuse ink..."

Regards,

John

mailto:jdjr@heiwa-ryu.org

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are the first real "professional" to join our website, which is great.

I sent you an e-mail (not the one with the username and password) a couple of days ago, did you recieve it?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

jdoub
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pratrick-san,

I did get your email. The Martial Arts are a way of living my life, so I have got a full-time job that supports my Lifestyle pursuit. I will get back to you.

Remember, I am a nobody and Heiwa-Ryu is not known anywhere outside of my students and my web site.

The combination of both youth and genuine interst is a great beginning for this forum.

John

Lars
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

I'm looking forward to gain some knowledge from you!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-05-31 01:26, jdoub wrote:
Pratrick-san,

I did get your email. The Martial Arts are a way of living my life, so I have got a full-time job that supports my Lifestyle pursuit. I will get back to you.

Remember, I am a nobody and Heiwa-Ryu is not known anywhere outside of my students and my web site.

The combination of both youth and genuine interst is a great beginning for this forum.

John

Thank you for responding.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

jdash
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdoub, do you consider yours a one of the styles of martial arts that is meant more to teach 'applied' knowledge (knowledge that will 'enable' you to 'hold your own' in a fight) or more a type that works on technique, control, points, etc.? Neither is bad and neither is necessarily 'good' each has there own points, just wondering.

James Dasher
[url]jamesdasher@dashermarketing.com[/url]
http://www.dashermarketing.com

[ This Message was edited by: jamesdasher on 2001-05-31 18:15 ]

jdoub
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James-san,

Thanks for asking the question.

Quote:
Originally posted by jamesdasher:
do you consider yours a one of the styles of martial arts that is meant more to teach
'applied' knowledge or more a type that works on technique, control, points, etc.?

As I have previously stated, I teach both a Classical style of Karate and Yang Style Tai Chi Ch'uan. My thought is that 'Classical' Martial Arts were developed out of knowledge amassed from Combat experience, Human Physiology, and 'applied' learning. A technique from a kata may be mapping the correct angle and direction for one to strike a cavity (pressure point) or how to twist an attacker's finger, hand, or wrist to render them ineffective - or even set them up for a more devastating strike.

I do not teach 'point' fighting. I teach the kata and how they were intended to be applied in a potentially life threatening situation.

Quote:
Originally posted by jamesdasher:
Neither is bad and neither is necessarily 'good' each has there own points, just wondering.

OSU!! Neither are bad by design. What is the intent of the teacher and the desire of the student. A person that studies a Sport will most likely suffer at the hands of a mugger and a Classical Karateka will probably not go home with the sparring trophy.

Sports have rules to prevent serious injury, but combat is about survival.

Just my 2 dollars worth.

Talk with you later!!

John

Blood Eagle
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great a real sensei

trunksreznor
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A godan. Wow.

Welcome, shihan. Teach us.

Lady Miyako, Akira #20
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadaub; you seem to have great insight and knowledge in your martial art. welcome to this forum and i anticipate your input and insight to those topics you choose to respond to.

with humble regards

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: