Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're right, the Romans. My head isn't on right...

Tay
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kyokushin, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I'll have to go against most of you guys on this one. I found the fight quite entertaining and there wasn't any proper lack of respect. Silva is one of the most brutal and entertaining fighters imo.

Against Maia he just showed how dominating he is, by actually dancing around, constantly dodging Maia's punches with head and body movement and hitting pretty much all his punches and kicks. He was just on another level.

He was actually asking Maia to "try harder" and "do something", Silva had his hands down most of the time, not scared one bit of Maia.

You have to keep in mind that Silva was defending his title so if Maia wanted the title he should have tried to be more aggressive and try to win instead of trying not to lose.

Silva could probably have knocked him out but decided to play with him for 5 rounds.
Also this sort of behavior is a psychological strategy, he had so much confidence and dominance that Maia seemed lost and didn't know what to do against such a striking superiority. You play with your oppenent's mind, that's what you learn in any competitive martial art / fighting sport.
For me it was a great display of how talented Silva is.
For those who haven't see the fight you can see the impressive highlights on this tribute video of Silva, from 9 minutes to 12.30 mins:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxV0oOeI7Cw

oh and if you haven't noticed I am a big fan of Silva

Lee M
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Tay is a more comfortable counter fighter but attacks with reall skill when required.

He wins is the easiest way which isn't always the most entertaining.

I think Roy Jones jnr would be a comparison in boxing - people lost interested because he won too easily.

Tay
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kyokushin, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee M wrote:
Agreed Tay is a more comfortable counter fighter but attacks with reall skill when required.

He wins is the easiest way which isn't always the most entertaining.

I think Roy Jones jnr would be a comparison in boxing - people lost interested because he won too easily.

How can you loose interest in watching somebody's dominance?
It might look too easy for him at times, but it just shows he's on a completely different level than most fighters of his category, especially striking wise.
It's not easy to be at the top and defend your title against all the challengers and win every time.
Each of his fights is a show of skill with a lot of creativity and awesome movement/dodging.
One thing's for sure, I will never get bored of watching him fight.

SimonAsh86
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until recently i used to think Anderson Silva was a very boring fighter, but i now realise the man is just very methodical with his attacks. Kinda like Lyoto Machida, neither will give exciting fights one after the other but both are up there with the best at what they do.

As for what they say outside the cage, im not too fussed by, i watch them purely as martial artists an thats it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: