Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Isnt The highest rank is Soke Doke?"

KarateGeorge
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shuri-te Karate, Wing Chun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When someone asks me to show them a move, I usually respond with, "OK, first grab me by the shirt."

That usually stops them, because they wanted to SEE a demonstration, not BE the demonstration.

If they actually do grab my shirt, I just reach up and put a small amount of pressure on a pressure point on the forearm and leave it at that.

Blade96
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate-Do 7th Kyu (orange belt)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh here's one i got today:

A friend of mine said to me today, some weeks after I told him about my SHOTOKAN karate training:

"Do you still do kung fu?"

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade96 wrote:

A friend of mine said to me today, some weeks after I told him about my SHOTOKAN karate training:

I would have replied yes. (Knowing what he had excelled in, say mechanics, for example,) I would have told him, I see he still does Kung Fu also.

algernon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes get "can you show me something?" It can be a bit irksome, but I will often oblige with a simple and novel hold or escape.

A bit further along the annoyance scale is "does that stuff actually work?"

What I find particularly obnoxious is "Well, what would you do if I hit you?" My standard reply: "Bruise, probably."

Sometimes, though, showing off a little is just too tempting. One smug individual was convinced that if a man as large and powerful as himself tried to hit me, there was nothing that could be done about it. I suggested that he try, promising that I would only block, and not hit him back. Not realizing what a "block" from a kenpoist entailed, he agreed. He declined the opportunity for a second swing.

Blade96
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate-Do 7th Kyu (orange belt)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardZ wrote:
Blade96 wrote:

I would have replied yes. (Knowing what he had excelled in, say mechanics, for example,) I would have told him, I see he still does Kung Fu also.

Ha

as for showing people some moves, I'll probably get that question from my relatives when I go to see them over christmas. I actually expect that question because as far as i know I am the only one doing martial arts. (my little cousin did taekwondo for a little while but she never stayed in it cause she said she found it boring. but she's only 8. MA is a way of life and quite philosophical, I really didn't expect an 8 year old to totally 'get' it.)

I'll probably , just to satisfy them (and shut them up), show them a jodan age uke or a chudan uchi uke. Those are just arm blocks. Then tell them know though, the biggest lesson you learn in MA is to WALK AWAY. and NEVER get easily drawn into any fights. It is not the fancy dancy moves. so stop asking me =]

I'd actually be afraid if I let people who don't understand what ma is really about, know any kicks or punches or anything, they'd actually try it on someone! Thats why I'd only show a block or 2. (white belt moves, yes, cause Im a little one but they wouldn't care.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: