Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

LastKing
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Freestyle karate, kickboxing, tai chi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Another hikite question Reply with quote

Not so much the hand on the waist, but rather, the opposite hand held up.and drawn back when blocking (which I understand is supposed to be a stylised parry), has that got a name in Japanese.

P.A.L
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin-ryu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Another hikite question Reply with quote

LastKing wrote:
Not so much the hand on the waist, but rather, the opposite hand held up. and drawn back when blocking (which I understand is supposed to be a stylised parry), has that got a name in Japanese.

it may have different names. as a parry, I think you can call in Kawashu uke ( as in Parrying a punch) if going backward. if you going forward probably it is a Osae (as in pressing forward or downward).
I also wanna mention that in Some Shorin-ryu styles and in most Naha-te style this hand is the actual black. this motion can change your karate a lot, makes it more advanced and effective.
this video is from Matsubayashi-ryu and I saw she does exactly the same thing. I forgot her name but she is a Matayoshi-ryu Weapon expert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdYyryzYL_s

LastKing
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Freestyle karate, kickboxing, tai chi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that. I've been working on my kata of late, really trying to sharpen it up, and that use of the partying hand (for want of a better word) is how I've been going. It's developed Tom be quite similar to the way the woman does it in the video, except mine is straighter. I find it's given more character and definition to my kata. I'm no world champion, far from it, but I feel like I'm getting to where I want to go. I was originally taught just just move, block strike, but now, that third element seems to sharpen up the block strike phase. Whether It's correct or not is another matter, but it works for me.
Cheers again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: