Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Any fishing people? Reply with quote

I took up fishing this summer with my brother and I have to say, I'M HOOKED (pun very much intended! ) I was wondering if any of you are keen anglers? If so what style, fly, float etc? And what species do you target?

Mo.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to fish! Winter is here now, and I could go trout fish if I had time, but I don't know that I will this year.

The lakes I typically fish at are usually stocked with crappie, white bass, black bass, wipers, catfish, walleye, and drum. I fish bottom or top, just depends on what seems to be working.

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being from South Louisiana, I've fished my whole life. Although, now, I rarely have the time to do so. I started "perch jerking" in the bayou in front of my house, and most recently, we would ride out to the oil rigs and fish in the deep water for everything including specs, reds, amberjack, cobia, red snapper, or whatever else may bite!

I've had a blast fishing over the years, but now, my focus is Karate, hunting, and learning to play the guitar.
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.

Spodo Komodo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to fish a dry fly on a limestone valley stream but it is getting a bit too pricey these days. Second best is lure fishing for pike and perch but most of the time I like to fish waggler and maggot for silverfish or small carp. Can't wait for spring again!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to fish, especially with family and/or friends. I don't care if I ever catch another fish, just as long as I'm with family and/or friends!!

Dad took us fishing A LOT!! I learned everything about fishing from my dad, and his lessons have lived in the lessons I've given to my son, Nathan, and my daughter, Krystal.

Next to chess, fish relaxes me to know end. It's the challenge of either that I crave and must have often in my life. Dad taught us a wide variety of fishing techniques, even though Trout fishing IN THE MIDST OF A STREAM top the list of the type of fishing I love to do. Next would have to be fly-fishing because they're a rhythm...a zone...the Zen of fishing comes alive in the middle of a stream. Yeah, "A River Runs Through It" is a movie that depicts that fishing zen, imho,

Deep sea fishing fills that craving of a good fight. Sailfish fishing; man they can fight. I love the fight in the fish, no matter what type of fish it is. After a long battle between man and fish, and when the dust has settled, and your trophy is laying on the deck, I can't stop smiling at my victory over a well and qualified fighter...that Sailfish!!

My dad has caught 3 sharks when we were deep sea fishing, and wow, they fight both in and out of the water.

Yeah, I fish, and I love it!!

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the replies, guys. Right now it's pike time over here, so I'm dead baiting on the float just now. But, I'm getting a lure rod and baitcaster at Christmas, so looking forward to landing some pike on the lure. Definitely prefer the summer fishing though, was out last week for 8 hours without a bite in-5 temperatures. Was like a frozen snotter by the end of the day. I live on the coast so spring/summer is good for mackerel. Never tried fly fishing yet but it's on the list.

Mo.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hard do the Mackerel fight?? I love a fighting fish!!

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
How hard do the Mackerel fight?? I love a fighting fish!!

Surprisingly hard for their size. They are so much fun. Unfortunately we cant afford to play them for too long or the local seals will have them for supper But for a fish with an average weight of 1-2lb, I was shocked at the power in them. And you really can't beat freshly caught mackerel cooked in the smoker, it really doesn't get much better than that!

Mo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: